You learn something new every day

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I try to learn a new tidbit every day and store it in memory.

I have dabbled in collecting coins for nearly 60 years, and thought I knew a lot of interesting facts about them. Today I was doing some research on a coin collection I am appraising and found this out:

The Carver-Washington commemorative half-dollar coin was issued in 1951-1954.......no news there.

It was a coin to commemorate the accomplishments of two prominent Black Americans....no news there, either.

This is from the government treasury data - "The money obtained from the sales of these commemorative coins is to be used to oppose the spread of communism among Negroes in the interest of national defense.".

Want to bet J. Edgar Hoover had something to do with that?

Wow, that's an interesting little tidbit. Funny how oddballs like that love to jump out at the strangest times.

This is back from the start of the era of Containment. While the idea proved correct, some of the menthods were a little crazy & odd to say the least.

Stacy, makes one proud to be American doesn't it! :foot: Its amazing to be reminded what was once thought to be a reasonable idea.

Back