You May Like the New GB Wildlife Hatchet Even Better

I just picked up one of the new Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchets (which has been re-styled). The description in my earlier thread was based on information received over the telephone. Here's the first-hand report.

The overall length of the new Wildlife is about a half inch shorter. This has been achieved by reconfiguring the gripping end of the shaft. The oversize knob on the handle of the old model is gone. The result is that the head of the new axe is the same distance from your hand as the head of the old axe. You simply have less wood sticking out the base of your palm. I think this is at least a small improvement in efficiency.

The handle of the new Wildlife is straighter, and wider in the area where you grip it. This means that there is less "hump" pressing on your palm. Furthermore, the pressure is distributed over a slightly wider surface. I like the change, but I can see how some people could like the old grip better.

The cutting edge on the new Wildlife is about 1/4 inch longer. It cants back toward the user a tiny bit more than on the older model. This is the confiuration of my Mini and I like it.

The new Wildlife has a hammer poll that is about 1/8 inch longer than the old one, but a little narrower. It doesn't rise quite as high above the top of the handle. The poll is now polished, as it is on the Mini. I'm not sure any of these changes make much difference.

The center of mass of the head on the new Wildlife has shifted down a bit. What I mean is that there is less metal in the hammer poll, but the portion of the head directly under the shaft is beefier. I don't know whether this will make a difference in practice, but as a matter of physics I think I'd rather have more weight below the center line of the handle than above it.

The taper of the new blade is more radical. The old head tapers from the area near the shaft to the cutting edge at a more constant rate. On the new head, it starts off thicker then tapers more quickly. This might help with splitting, but I can see arguments on both sides.

I weighed the two axes (with sheaths) on a very accurate digital postal scale. The old one came in at 1 lb 8.3 ounces. The new one is 1 lb 8.1 ounces. Interestingly, both were made by the same blacksmith (Mathias Mattson) so the comparison is probably a bit more valid than if it were made between products handcrafted by different blacksmiths.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to do the most important comparison---chopping. Maybe tomorrow or next weekend. However, I can't see anything about the new hatchet that I dislike and a couple of the changes may be beneficial. And, by the way, it really does look like a Mini on steroids!

There have been many GB dealers identified in previous threads and you should be able to locate several with the search feature. Unfortunately, there are a lot of older models out there and I doubt they will have much collector value. However, they still work darn well!

I have a list of folks who carry GB but not sure which have the new model. BTW the search function is not available for basic members at this time-see server problems thread. Thanks much.

Bummer on the search function being down.

About an hour after typing my reply I received a Lee Valley Christmas catalog. The new Wildlife Hatchet is shown on p. 56. I assume that if you inquire at www.leevalley.com they can confirm availability.

DancesWithKnives :

You simply have less wood sticking out the base of your palm.

The older design isn't intended to have any wood sticking out of your palm. The hatchet is held with the base of the handle being flush with the heel of your palm, this puts the hatchet on a forward angle, reducing the wrist rotation needed to put the blade into the wood. The new design forces a more straight up and down grip which is fine for a light use hatchet like the mini, but not something I would want on a heavier tool. I would like to hear the design reasoning behind this change, it is enough to keep me away from it.

The handle of the new Wildlife is straighter, and wider in the area where you grip it. This means that there is less "hump" pressing on your palm.

There is much variance from person to person, so you can't really generalize with any certainty, however the curvature of the handle is indended to match the sweep of your hand which naturally makes a cup shape when gripped.

I think I'd rather have more weight below the center line of the handle than above it.

The axe should be center head balanced, meaning that it should hang straight when suspended upside down and you should be able to draw a straight line which splits the end of the handle and the top of the head at perpendicular intersections. This is to insure a smooth swing.

Thanks for the description, I have been waiting to hear someone comment on these. Quite frankly the old handle works fine for me and the new one sounds problematic. I will be interested to hear what you have to say after some use.

-Cliff

Cliff,

I can see the reasoning behind your arguments. As you say, the only real way to tell will be to put quite a few hours on it. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to do that before the Christmas/New Year holidays.

Thanks for your comments.

Dave (how's it going?:)),
The handle sounds similar in shape to the one that came on my old Plumb Boy Scout hatchet, though I have no idea if it was original, having gotten it off ebay. I prefer it (that handle) to my "old-style" Wildlife Hatchet's, the straighter handle being more comfortable for me.
The taper of the new blade is more radical. The old head tapers from the area near the shaft to the cutting edge at a more constant rate. On the new head, it starts off thicker then tapers more quickly. This might help with splitting, but I can see arguments on both sides.
Are you saying it's closer to a v-grind? Is it thinner behind the edge, thicker, similar? Guess what I'm asking is if the taper continues all the way to the edge, or if it stops well before the edge grind. My WH reaches a "constant thickness" a little over 1/2" before the start of the edge bevels.
Just curious, and trying to get a mental picture of it.
I don't see ditching my (almost new, yet) "old" version to try something a little different, but if I ever need another, a straighter handle would be fine with me, since(borrowed from Cliff)-"the curvature of the handle is intended to match the sweep of your hand", but unfortunately doesn't match mine perfectly, and I end up choking up a little with some of the butt protruding, like you described.

Owen,

Good to hear from you! I took my Basic 9 on two Alaska trips this summer and thought of you a couple times when I was using the heck out of it. I hope my father's is still serving you well. I decided to take a BG-42 Buck/Strider Solution instead of the Basic 5, because I wanted to test it. If you want to read brief summaries of the trips, check the fishing forum at www.huntamerica.com . The reports were written around Sept. of this year.

With regard to the Wildlife Hatchet blade taper, I was speaking on a somewhat larger scale. I'm talking about the portion of the blade from about a half inch above the edge to just below the eye/handle. This area is more concave on the newer hatchet. On my older model, the grind is a little closer to a constant V taper. I imagine that the new, more concave blade might start splitting a bit more easily. Hard to say if it would bind more when the wood meets the suddenly thicker portion of the blade.

Thanks for clearing me up on the hatchet stuff. I was off base, there.
The 9 is doing great, though it looks quite a bit the worse for wear. Blade's satin finished, now, but all scratched and dinged up just like it's supposed to be. Right now it's resting up for spring.
Coincidence-I've been using a flat ground Strider MFS some lately, mostly at work, but it may make it to the woods, since I've got a couple of short trips coming up in the next month (though it'll probably just be the Wildlife Hatchet and a smaller FB, though). It and the Basic Euro 4 that replaced my 5 are similar in size, but very different. It's nice having stuff to play with:cool:
Hope you're doing good, and I'm jealous of your summer...

So-has anyone used the new version of the Wildlife hatchet yet? How does it compare to the old version?

Back