You win some... you lose some.

I recently received a couple of old fixed blades, a Schrade 498 with a leather handle and a 491 with a Staglon handle. Both knives were advertised as being in good condition. When I pulled the 491 from the sheath, my heart sank. Both sides of the blade are covered with scratches going in every possible direction, from the spine to the edge. On one side is a deep grind mark that I don't think I'm going to get out. There are tiny pits everywhere.

The 498 came in a sheath that looked like it was covered with dirt or dust. The leather handle was dirty as was the blade when I removed the knife from the sheath. I cleaned the metal surfaces with Flitz and put a coat of wax on the leather handle. There isn't a scratch on this knife and it looks like it was never sharpened. I'm impressed with the quality of this one except it didn't come with the squared off sheath. The sheath is embossed with the 49'er insignia but follows the curve of the blade.

schrade498Small.jpg

That one does look nice. I'm just an old codger that likes those archaic leather handle, aluminum pommel fixed Schrades. The "L" series '49'ers are on my want list, I just have a 498S right now.

My luck has run a bit better than 50/50 with ebay, so I can't complain. I just received a pair of 15OT's from the same seller, a couple of those "through the crack" auctions where there were few bidders. I bought both with reduced shipping for less than one had brought a month ago.

One was a Walden patent pending and it looks great. The other is a post-73 and the P.O. had put it on a coarse grinder. The handles have seen better days. Both sheaths have seen better days as well, but are still good users. I am going to land them in the lap of a friend with a knack and some talent for buffing and see how far he can get with them. If they tidy up well, then one gets Amboyna burl, and the other...I'll decide when the time comes.

Codger

I always liked this group and it was the last series of leather wrapped O ring knives they made. Here are a few in the original case ( unused with original brochure), also original tang stamps and 49er stamp. I paid a bit more than you for these but I would rather die having said I owned them than saying I wanted to. I hope you enjoy the pics. LT

Wow, those are some knives! I was trying to read some of the details from the picture of the brochure. Down in the corner, it mentions a bench mark on the pommel. I just checked and sure enough, there are two marks or symbols. LT, which pattern do you like the best?

I lust in greed and indulgence. Sadly I know my faults and foibles I like them all as long as I have them all. My favorite is a complete set with all the toys that go with it. I guess if I had to pick one the 499 it is an older pattern and I like curves. LT PS the back of this brochure is also quite informative. I think there is an old thread that has a pic.

Him with the most toys wins, or so they say, I have most of this junk and do not misunderstand me I love it. I love the history more. At least if someone covets it perhapes it will still be here a while longer. Dig in and if you see something buy the dang thing as Earl Holliman said in an old western. Faint heart never filled a flush. LT

The 499 seems to be close if not the same as my 137. The 4 1/2" blade lengths are the same, as well as the shape. The 137 just has the birdshead pommel. I see the 49ers listed in my 1973 catalog, and in the 1975, but I have the '76-'79 issues missing, so I am no real help on pinning down the years either. In '73 the "L" leather series listed for $14.00 and the "S" Staglon series listed for $12.50.

Codger

P.S. I believe those other 49er pictures you posted a while back were lost when the archive was updated, or at least I can't find them.

Back