Your Advice and Thoughts on the EVO Grip vs ALOX SAK’s Please.

Hey all.

I’m looking at getting a knife to add to my EDC setup. I just got a new flipper knife that I really like and I’d rather not use it as my daily chore knife as it’s a big bladed frame lock. Some people might not love knives as much as we do if they’d happen to see me with it out doing something it was intended to do.

I’ve pretty much decided to get a SAK of some type. One feature I want on it is scissors. I think it would be very handy.
In the ALOX I like the Pioneer X and the Farmer X. The thing is I cannot figure out whether I actually need or will use the saw blade on the Farmer X. Anyone else ever had this dilemma?

Then I happen upon the EVO Grip models. Aren’t they slightly smaller in length than the ALOX models?
There are a couple of them that look really nice like the EvoGrip S18, the bright yellow one. This too has a saw blade, I think.

I haven’t read much at all about the EVO Grip models and how well they hold up. How do they compare to the ALOX models with the same features?
What concerns me about the saw blade is the thickness and extra weight that accessories add to the knife. After all, I’m gonna be carrying it daily and I don’t want it to be uncomfortable.

What’s your thoughts? Go with the saw blade or no? If you have one on your EDC SAK, how often have you used it?

Lastly, how about some advice regarding the EVO Grip knives? Are they just as good as the ALOX knives? Is one going to be more comfy to carry than the other?

Which ALOX would you recommend? If you were going with an EvoGrip, which one of those would you go with as your daily use knife?

Thank you for your time and any help you care to give me. I appreciate you all taking the time to help me.

Larry

I use saws on my saks a lot. The alox are 93mm and evo 84mm. Favourite alox is the harvester
My favourite evo is wenger ST (soft touch) scales are full rubber, has scissors & saw.
Plenty of good choices, good luck
IMG_20211230_203344.jpg

I don’t have much experience with the evo grips, but I will say the Alox models are always a winner. They’re a little heavier duty, and imo more visually appealing. I don’t need a saw for daily use, so if I were in your shoes I’d go with either the Pioneer X or the Compact.

Last edited:
I had a Wenger for many years that was very similar to the evo grip S17 except the scales were smooth, so I can't answer how comfortable they are to use, but I loved that knife. Yes they are slightly shorter than the standard Victorinox 90 odd mm models. The "S" evo grips also have the lock for the main blade which I liked, but some people say gets in the way of 1 or 2 of the adjacent tools.

I like the saw and use it quite a lot, but YMMV.

I would go with the S17 or the S18 if you prefer the philips screwdriver over the corkscrew. I just recently bought the V. Huntsman though because it has similar tools plus the hook and I got it for half the price I could get the S17.

Hi, Larry!

For non-pliers based multitool, such as SAK, there exist many formats, ranging from 58mm all the way up to 111mm. And close to the Alox format, the more common seen/used are the 93mm(alox), 85mm(delemont line) and the 91mm(regular) SAKs. The length difference between Alox and Evo (delemont line) is about 8mm/0.31in.

Whether one choose to have the saw blade or not, is really just a subjective choice. Is gardening or trimming plants/wood part of your daily routine? Are you the type to be prepared for every situation or a minimalist at heart whom choose to carry the bare essentials?

In terms of longer term usage, both 85mm Delemont/Evo line and regular 91mm SAKs both use plastic scales, but those plastic scales are replaceable. The 93mm Alox has aluminum scales, so they are more 'durable' in a sense. But once the color anodization on the Alox worn off, there is no replacing of the metal scales(unless you are modding it). Another noticeable difference between the 93mm alox vs 91mm/85mm SAK is weight, given somewhat similar tools setup, the alox version is usually more heavier.

I live in an urban environment, so instead of a wood saw, I choose to have a metal file/saw with me all the time(one of my favorite 91mm SAK is Mountaineer). I think what's good with SAK offering is that the choices are abundant, and you could almost always find something that suit your needs/wants.

There is no question. The Alox is the aristocrats of the SAK world. Next to the alox models, the 'other' lesser SAK's are peasants.

Always go alox when there is a choice. And once you go alox, you'll never go back.

Apologies as I still do not have a SAK with EvoGrip so I cannot help on your direct comparison...

That said, for future reference of whomever reads this: Alox is not always better... Based on many comments like the ones above on how great alox SAKs are, I bought several (Pioneer, Pioneer X, ...). Carried them for a while and now they are all aside. They look good, but so does a SAK with polished cellidor handles. The blade is sturdier sure, but in 99.99% of the situations I seriously doubt that matters (if you're not directly prying with it, the pivots will likely brake before the blade does). Personally, the tweezers are simply too useful of a tool to not have. And they are heavier in the pocket whereas I like them light (e.g., Vic Waiter).

Buy a cheap used one of each, try them out, and they you'll know which one really works for you.

EvoGrip adds thickness to the knife. Not a lot, but enough for me to notice.
Alox for me.

There's really no comparison. They're different horses for different courses.

Alox knives are heavy duty: more durable and easier to clean. My main work knife is an alox Soldier. It's all business. I also have a Pioneer X. It's a collectible but even if it wasn't I wouldn't carry it as I find it heavy. Although I work outdoors around trees I rarely need a saw; and if I do there's one on the Swisschamp in a cargo pocket. The alox saw is the same length as the 91mm one. It's OK for small jobs but if you want a saw for camping or other outdoors activities I'd recommend a dedicated one with a longer blade. I have an Opinel and love it.

The Evolutions are for lighter duties, are smaller, and have different toolsets. I have a Delemont Evolution Wood 14, three layers. It's as thick as an Explorer yet lighter and more comfortable in my hand; I wouldn't want a thicker knife, though. The wooden scales are much nicer to hold than plastic ones. The thickness of the back scale reduces the feel of the corkscrew. The 85mm saw is a bit short for purpose in my opinion.

I like the Spartan and Tourist for casual carry but I have arthritis in in my bird-flipping finger and sometimes can't grip the knife comfortably. The extra thickness of a Camper or Hiker helps here. However, I've seen the Evogrip S101 for sale locally and ordered one. I expect to gain the benefits of a wider and shorter body and lighter weight; also that the scales will be grippier than the regular ones. I don't want the blade lock but there's no choice if you prefer a small blade over a nail file.

Happy New Year!

Hi, in my opinion if you look at the alox models with scissors it’s should be Pioneer X, Farmer quite bulky and heavy model for regular EDC. So if we do compare similar tool set models main choice will be between Pioneer X, Climber and Evolution 14 models. I make some pictures (unfortunately I don’t have Victorinox E-14, but have Wenger, and they are quite similar),
XEaGeJ5.jpg
xqpExSi.jpg

You can see that Delemont will be smallest in length and the Pioneer the biggest. But except the length there are plenty of differences between this three models.
Delemont is most bulky, and actually this ergonomic pattern of scales not always convenient, I highly recommend to try it personally before order. Next thing is locking plate, This is great advantage but for many users the plate it self very uncomfortable. And last thing is scissors, they are serrated, so cutting nails with them is not so nice procedure as with standard Victorinox scissors. But Delemont looks very classy, yes :)
Pioneer X is slimmest but slightly heaviest then other (about 0,3 oz). It have longer and thicker blade and heavy duty flat screwdriver that can be used as prybar. Also the awl is much sturdier and comfortable due to horizontal opening direction (it can be used as one-tooth fork by the way). Pioneer have stronger springs so instruments are opening more stiffer and closing faster :) The main disadvantage - Pioneer X don’t have the corkscrew, toothpick and tweezers.
Finally last one - Climber. In my opinion is the best choice for EDC. It have all tools, perfect size and weight and multiple choice of scale colours. Also this is most affordable price model.
Hope this small comparison was helpful for you :) No matter what will you choose you will non be disappointed, Victorinox making great knives.

In all the years I’ve owned a Victorinox or Leatherman with a wood saw or metal saw or both, I have very rarely felt the need to use them, but for the wood saws, when you do need them, they are excellent tools.

I’m planning a pair of custom Victorinox 93 mm Alox knives, one for urban carry and a second to supplement it with the tools I would generally need only in the woods.

Urban knife: Scissors, Electrician’s blade, Cap lifter, inline Phillips driver (picture an “Electrician X”—a model that doesn’t exist—minus the large blade and reamer layer, with the inline Phillips driver from a 91 mm Explorer model)

Woods knife: Large blade, Reamer, Wood saw (otherwise known as a “Bushcrafter”, a limited production dealer exclusive model)

I have zero need for the large blade or reamer in town, and I have zero need for a can opener anywhere. With this combo, I can carry just what I actually need in town, and have no redundant tools when I add the woods knife.

Each knife would be just two layers thick. You can build them by disassembling a Farmer X and an Electrician, and you’ll have enough parts left over to make a Pioneer if you find an extra set of scales, and sell that off or give it away, or keep it for backup.

And maybe I’ll eventually add a third knife to that set with the pliers and metal saw/file, just for fun.

Hi, in my opinion if you look at the alox models with scissors it’s should be Pioneer X, Farmer quite bulky and heavy model for regular EDC. So if we do compare similar tool set models main choice will be between Pioneer X, Climber and Evolution 14 models. I make some pictures (unfortunately I don’t have Victorinox E-14, but have Wenger, and they are quite similar),
xqpExSi.jpg

You can see that Delemont will be smallest in length and the Pioneer the biggest. But except the length there are plenty of differences between this three models.
Delemont is most bulky, and actually this ergonomic pattern of scales not always convenient, I highly recommend to try it personally before order. Next thing is locking plate, This is great advantage but for many users the plate it self very uncomfortable. And last thing is scissors, they are serrated, so cutting nails with them is not so nice procedure as with standard Victorinox scissors. But Delemont looks very classy, yes :)
Pioneer X is slimmest but slightly heaviest then other (about 0,3 oz). It have longer and thicker blade and heavy duty flat screwdriver that can be used as prybar. Also the awl is much sturdier and comfortable due to horizontal opening direction (it can be used as one-tooth fork by the way). Pioneer have stronger springs so instruments are opening more stiffer and closing faster :) The main disadvantage - Pioneer X don’t have the corkscrew, toothpick and tweezers.
Finally last one - Climber. In my opinion is the best choice for EDC. It have all tools, perfect size and weight and multiple choice of scale colours. Also this is most affordable price model.
Hope this small comparison was helpful for you :) No matter what will you choose you will non be disappointed, Victorinox making great knives.
Yes, the awl on the alox models is a fantastic tool, a defining feature of the range. It’s vastly better than the back side ones on the other ranges.

I forgot to mention the scissors on the Evolution 14 as I find the ones on my keyring Rambler sufficient for most purposes. Most people prefer the standard Vic scissors but IMO the Wenger/Delemont ones are perfectly fine if you have no others. I bought the Evo Wood model because there’s no Delemont two layer knife with wooden scales.

The Climber is a great suggestion. The best value of all as you say, and a very popular edc. Used ones are abundant. It’s lighter than the Pioneer X and only a smidgen thicker. An excellent general purpose SAK.

PS I have a Wenger with the blade lock you mention and never liked it as it annoyed my finger. It turned me off the S101. Then, the other day, someone on another forum said if you hold the knife with the button between your fingers you’ll hardly notice it. I tried it and yes, it works well, without compromising your grip.

Last edited:
In all the years I’ve owned a Victorinox or Leatherman with a wood saw or metal saw or both, I have very rarely felt the need to use them, but for the wood saws, when you do need them, they are excellent tools.

I’m planning a pair of custom Victorinox 93 mm Alox knives, one for urban carry and a second to supplement it with the tools I would generally need only in the woods.

Urban knife: Scissors, Electrician’s blade, Cap lifter, inline Phillips driver (picture an “Electrician X”—a model that doesn’t exist—minus the large blade and reamer layer, with the inline Phillips driver from a 91 mm Explorer model)

Woods knife: Large blade, Reamer, Wood saw (otherwise known as a “Bushcrafter”, a limited production dealer exclusive model)

I have zero need for the large blade or reamer in town, and I have zero need for a can opener anywhere. With this combo, I can carry just what I actually need in town, and have no redundant tools when I add the woods knife.

Each knife would be just two layers thick. You can build them by disassembling a Farmer X and an Electrician, and you’ll have enough parts left over to make a Pioneer if you find an extra set of scales, and sell that off or give it away, or keep it for backup.

And maybe I’ll eventually add a third knife to that set with the pliers and metal saw/file, just for fun.
Very interesting idea and nice setup of instruments for both customisations.

Thank you all very much for your help and suggestions. I appreciate it.

I had no idea there were SAK owners that are assembling their own “custom” SAK. Can it be done with the ALOX models? Not sure I’d want to walk that road right now though, but I’m not ruling it out for the future!!
😎

Off to look at more SAK pics!!

I had no idea there were SAK owners that are assembling their own “custom” SAK. Can it be done with the ALOX models?
It sure can. There’s some great modders out there that can put a SAK together with the tool combinations you can’t necessarily get from the factory.

Back