Your fault, ndoghouse!

Sentence structure seems to be really different from trying to translate directly (google translator). Usually like in the french spanish etc you can find the out of place word just before or behind the other but doesnt seem to be the case for Devanagari. Also there are no direct translations for most words via spelling because consonants almost always consist of two or more letters and then there are conjuncts. I found that getting dumped into the culture for at least a year is the best. When I lived in the British Virgin Islands most were British or from the Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo). I found it much easier to understand the spanish there than the Brits. Even tho it was English The words were completely different. Person=bloak for ex. What the hell is a bloak? If it wasnt for Benny Hill id have been totally lost.

Neato chopper, Snow! I like it and wish I had one like it. The entire tale be read in The Boys from Jasper County. This year is the 50th Anniversary of my gun team. The Razorbacks are the only gun team still flying from the VN war. They are stationed at Ft. Carson and fly Apaches. I'll have our 50th Anny commemorative t-shirt out in a few weeks.

I'll certainly be looking to see the The Boys from Jasper County.

Quote from the net "The UH-1 became a legendary aircraft because it was flown by legends". It is a great honor to have one of those legends on the forum :)

The last Hueys in US services were retired in 2011... It is still amazing how long they were able last.

Bookie I don't know if you had any opportunity to watch what the kids can do now with RC Choppers.

The Remote Controlled choppers obey to the same law of physics, except they have a tremendous ratio of power to weight. They also can put negative angles on the collective pitch which allow to fly upside down.

When someone is flying a real chopper the point of view is always the same (up means up, down means down, right and left... you get the point)
When you fly a RC, you are required to adapt depending of your relative position with the chopper. Tale in vs Nose in behave differently and when you are upside down, it messes things up even worst. At one point, the brain linked to the chopper and do this in real time for extremely quick and complex maneuvers.

Enjoy this flight (First part is with low rotor speed, second part is at normal speed)
[video=youtube_share;P58SsDXHqXE]http://youtu.be/P58SsDXHqXE[/video]

Sno. Ive a liitle experience in RC. I fly a Zagi flying wing. No power tho. I launch with Hi start. Basically a big arse slingshot with surgical tubing. Once you get aloft you ride the thermals to catch lift. They are a lot of fun. There is one with a motor (400x). It will be my next plane in hope to accelerate my learning curve.
Now this is the best ive seen yet! Needs a good door gunner tho:D YEEEE HAWWWW!!!!
[video=youtube;OpyeLoH8IDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpyeLoH8IDY[/video]

Awesome video BTW! I almost puked my keyboard:barf:

That ole boy been playing some to be able to do that. I don't think door gunners would think much of that upside down stuff. I know I wouldn't. Pretty gosh durn impressive though.

I've tried a few remote control thing, I usually crash alot, Even trucks and cars, when they coming at ya left is right and right is left and I'm all messed up.

The videos were most entertaining and quite informative. I've did a maneuver with an OH-58A that isn't supposed to be able to be performed, but it shore twern't nuthin' like what that Goblin can do!! Hooo-weee! Yep, the old fatboy likes that.
The Devanagari is causing me to rethink many things. What I thought were letters of script aren't letters at all. They're syllables of script! Phonetic at that! You can even write in English and convert it to Devanagari and people can understand what you are saying. Amazing. Some of my relatives down South can't even come close to doing that with plain English, let alone Devanagari. :eek:) I don't think I'm any kind of legend, even if there are 3 flight sim videos on Youtube about me, but I am real proud to be able to say that I just didn't ride in a Huey, it became an extension of my body and thoughts.

The videos were most entertaining and quite informative. I've did a maneuver with an OH-58A that isn't supposed to be able to be performed, but it shore twern't nuthin' like what that Goblin can do!! Hooo-weee! Yep, the old fatboy likes that.
The Devanagari is causing me to rethink many things. What I thought were letters of script aren't letters at all. They're syllables of script! Phonetic at that! You can even write in English and convert it to Devanagari and people can understand what you are saying. Amazing. Some of my relatives down South can't even come close to doing that with plain English, let alone Devanagari. :eek:) I don't think I'm any kind of legend, even if there are 3 flight sim videos on Youtube about me, but I am real proud to be able to say that I just didn't ride in a Huey, it became an extension of my body and thoughts.

"it became an extension of my body and thoughts"

Well said! I know exactly what you mean.

This morning I tried something really humbling. Record a flight of my own to show couples of tricks I can do without crashing. I got really nervous and it made me stripped half the things I thought I could do safely.
So here it is: Me messing with the computer:

(I just realized the background music is not for everyone, you might want to put it on mute if you have young ears around)
[video=youtube_share;BUQZkSdx_mQ]http://youtu.be/BUQZkSdx_mQ[/video]

Note: My brain recently unlocked flying upside down and it opened a world of new moves. I'll report back in a few months once I get decent at it.
Meanwhile here's another take: Faster and a reckless but not exactly wreck-less.
[video=youtube_share;KVsb51gMuos]http://youtu.be/KVsb51gMuos[/video]

Last edited:
Hehe looks like you got a couple points for that basket in the first "wreck" in the second video Snow. Quite good tricks there, and the camera person was great as well keeping up with them all. Having so much more power/weight ratio over a full size chopper it is interesting to see how you have been able to think up all sorts of new ideas while also keeping the "juking" and slips and skids practiced by VN chopper pilots interested in keeping their craft in the air and themselves and their crews alive in the face of enemy fire.

Hehe looks like you got a couple points for that basket in the first "wreck" in the second video Snow. Quite good tricks there, and the camera person was great as well keeping up with them all. Having so much more power/weight ratio over a full size chopper it is interesting to see how you have been able to think up all sorts of new ideas while also keeping the "juking" and slips and skids practiced by VN chopper pilots interested in keeping their craft in the air and themselves and their crews alive in the face of enemy fire.

It was completely done on a simulator, so for the camera guy, he's probably another C routine somewhere in the code ;-) Which is a good thing because I would have chopped his head few times while using the space between the baskets. A young RC chopper pilot was killed last year by his "toy". These are very fancy and dangerous flying lawnmowers.

The big advantage of helicopters is they can stand still and easily land vertically practically anywhere (as long as you find a flat spot). When you become a target, standing still is not where you want to be.
So much power like on the RC's creates a lot of stress on the components. Speaking of power, I don't think a human would stand the G force. The jet fighters are already facing the problem. It is no longer what the aircraft can do but about what the pilot can endure before passing out. The solution is already there with UAV's. Then you need to move troops. There, no matter what, I want a man (or women) in the driver seat. Not a kid in a submarine who will not worry about his life as much as the troopers in the aircraft.

To take Bookie's quote "it became an extension of my body and thoughts" Some people are really gifted at that, these will drive anything as long as they get the proper training.
They adapt their ability to control the device to the need for the job. Aircraft, bulldozer, crane, taxi, forklift, name it...

All these guys feel the same:"it became an extension of my body and thoughts"

Speaking of which - Totally useless but so much skills!!!
[video=youtube_share;IjdRLO4H3jw]http://youtu.be/IjdRLO4H3jw[/video]

And of course the legendary footage of Karl "Charly" Zimmerman and his crazy BO-105
[video=youtube_share;n9ZUXNeBoHo]http://youtu.be/n9ZUXNeBoHo[/video]

Mr Zimmerman died couples of years ago during an airshow.
The accident is puzzling, because it was during what looks to be a simple maneuver comparing to the other stuff he was doing.

I never had the mental dexterity for this remote stuff, helicopters, or even cars, get mixed up with right is left and left if right and up is down and down is up. I did use to be pure hell on a fork lift back in the day. I was the go to guy for all the tricky maneuvers.
My son just got certified to drive a forklift at work, we never needed it back in the day, I told him I speak forklift.

I never had the mental dexterity for this remote stuff, helicopters, or even cars, get mixed up with right is left and left if right and up is down and down is up. I did use to be pure hell on a fork lift back in the day. I was the go to guy for all the tricky maneuvers.
My son just got certified to drive a forklift at work, we never needed it back in the day, I told him I speak forklift.

My ex girl friend used the drive forklifts during summers when she was still studying. She was the best driver in the warehouse to the point of p!ssing off the guys.
She was not interested in my hobby but on a rainy Sunday, I managed to get her try the helicopter simulator. She nailed the basics in about an hour beating all my other friends who tried.

The trick is easy. Lay a dime on the floor. Drive over the dime about a foot with forks raised. Drop your forks, drive in reverse while dragging the forks over the dime. When the fork tine drops off the dime, it flips the dime into the air (like a tiddly wink) and also back towards the fork lift. It then lands on the fork. VIOLA! The dime has been picked up off the floor. Now Bawanna, I KNOW you KNOW this, but ndoghouse doesn't. That strange word is not viola. It's pronounced "waa lah", so don't tell'im!

Well youre right Id didnt! Thats pretty dang cool! Id have lost a few dollars on that one. I bet you could do that with a Huey as well!
OK Mr. B mailbox MT.
The trick is easy. Lay a dime on the floor. Drive over the dime about a foot with forks raised. Drop your forks, drive in reverse while dragging the forks over the dime. When the fork tine drops off the dime, it flips the dime into the air (like a tiddly wink) and also back towards the fork lift. It then lands on the fork. VIOLA! The dime has been picked up off the floor. Now Bawanna, I KNOW you KNOW this, but ndoghouse doesn't. That strange word is not viola. It's pronounced "waa lah", so don't tell'im!

Actually Book....The term is VOILA!
...an interjection kinda like EUREKA!

When you use the term Viola (pronounced vee-oh-lah), it only makes ndog bust out his fiddle and look at you all funny while waiting for you to join him in a rousing rendition of dueling banjo's, knowing full well whats going to happen to you when those pig farmers catch up to you...... :eek: :D

Last edited:
Back