Your favorite hammer

My favorite hammer is the one I can no longer use. I knew it was to big but I did it anyway. My love for hand forging and seeing steel move with each swing became a drug and common sense went out the door. After right shoulder surgery to repair my rotator cuff at 69 and then having my right wrist fused at 70 my desire to make knives had left.

This past January my desire to make knives started coming back. It was mostly putting knives together by using left over blades I had made over the years but something was missing. I knew what it was but I didn't want to get involved since I was sure I could no longer do it. It was my anvils calling me. You can use smaller hammers, we don't care. I couldn't resist. I lit up my forge and put a piece of steel in it and a couple minutes later I was hammering on it. I could feel a smile starting to grow and my old love coming back.

Things will never be the same now that I no longer have a functioning wrist. Don Hanson III said it all, common sense and wisdom can make ones life so much easier.
This is great to hear Ray! Keep on hammering brother.

Seymour 3lb crosspein
Vaughn 2lb lineman
Some little tack hammer I use on pins.
IMG_5885.JPG
I'm also reworking a 8lb mini sledge.

Last edited:
Is there a reason other than looks to burn handles ?

Some guys swear by it and say it makes them less prone to breakage... I do it cause I think it looks cool, and it burns off the crappy finish on commercial handles.

Last year I was lucky enough to get about an hour long tong making lesson with a Js, world champion blacksmith, farrier he told me all he used to make knives was a 2 and 3 pound hammer round on one side flatter on the other (he let me use his). It was an incredible learning experience with my body position and grip and just watching his swing. I tried to copy his and I'm very happy with the way they preform the other one didn't meet my teachers standards so he gave it to me I like it to.
Gilbert
LK3ZxOSm.jpg
BcGMnWpm.jpg

I find that charring my handles a bit and then rubbing a beeswax/camellia paste on them when still warm just gives them a wonderful feeling in the hand. Don't know why. And the fact that it looks awesome makes me feel nice about life.

I always seem to prefer weight forward hammers, be it dogshead or ball peen. I've only swung a French pattern once, but I really liked it.

I often feel like there are two schools of thought: guys swinging lighter hammer heads on long skinny handles, and those who use somewhat heavier heads with shorter, thicker handles. I vastly prefer the latter, but I am willing to admit I am no expert on hammer technique. For whatever reason (personal physiology most likely), I find the downward acceleration of a light hammer head much more aggravating to my wrist, whereas letting gravity bring down a 3# head or so just feels better. Skinny handles also seen to really aggravate the joints of my hand. Once, I found a sweet-looking octagonal handle I put on one of hammers. It took me months to figure out why my hammer hand was hurting so much... Never again!

Last edited:
This is my go to hammer. With the long handle I can really get it moving. Not talking baby swings, start up above my head and whip it down. I thought it was heavier then it is. But it has me rethinking hammer weight. I have a blade forging video I’m about to upload where I use it and it works quite well to show how well it moves steel.

Photo%20Jun%2009%2C%2012%2040%2008%20PM.jpg

Is there a reason other than looks to burn handles ?
I do it to remove factory varnish. Every new handle, does not matter if its a hayfork or wheelbarrow either. Gets a quick insert to a still hot but switched off forge to blister & soften its varnish. Scrape off, then apply beeswax and/or linseed oil.

Hello all. I'm wanting to re-forge out a 3-4# sledge into a diagonal peen. I was planning on trying to find one at a garage/farm sale.
Is there anything I need to pay attention to before buying? I'm mainly concerned about getting a cast head.

Hello all. I'm wanting to re-forge out a 3-4# sledge into a diagonal peen. I was planning on trying to find one at a garage/farm sale.
Is there anything I need to pay attention to before buying? I'm mainly concerned about getting a cast head.
Odds are real low getting a cast head hammer like that. Even then, if by chance its cast steel it will forge ok. (Cast iron, no... thank goodness cast iron sledgehammer is going to be rarity)
Anyway, hope you have a powerhammer. Making a diagonalpeen of size hammer you propose is going to be a big job without. Otherwise you will do better forging with a skilled Striker and BIG anvil.

You may gain better result using a regular sledgehammer & cutting off whatever it takes to attain shape you desire.

Raymond, If you and I were 50 years younger that photo might make us talk about hammering away at something, but I guess we don't see the connection anymore.

I am glad to see you back.

I can't remember what the item/term is, but there is a common bladesmithing material or item that if you search for it you get all sorts of sexy ladies clothing, lingerie, and accessories. Seems they have a very different definition of the term.

My friend recently made me a 2lbs doghead with a round/crowned face I am enjoying. I have a 3lbs cross peen but i mainly use it to upset the corners of my stock when forging tips. My favorite hammer is a 2.5lbs doghead from Nathan Roberts. It has a square face that is barely crowned and I absolutely love everything about it.
I have a 2.75lbs rounder from Matt Seader on the way I am dying to try.
-Trey

Back