Your favorite recipe thread

List your favorite recipe with directions, here's mine.

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Ingredients

1) Lb ground round(lean)

3-5) Medium green peppers (sliced thin)

1) Medium sweet onion (chopped)

2-3) Cloves of garlic (crushed)

1/2) tbl sugar

3) Cans of Campbells Tomato soup

5) Cans of water

1) 8 oz can diced tomatoes

3/4) Cup of Minute Rice

Directions

Saute onions till almost clear, stir for 1 more minute then remove from heat.

In a 5 qt pot add 3 cans of soup, 5 cans of water, 1 can diced tomatoes, pepper, onion, garlic mix till blended.

Crumble in ground beef bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to low simmer for an additional 30 minutes.

Cook rice according to directions place serving size in cup or bowl and add mix.

Serve like chili or soup, depending on how wet you like it.

Enjoy and add your own favorite recipe to this thread.

I love hearty food ! No half soy or veggie smoothies here plz :D
Simple recipe handed down from Great-Grandma Reynolds , nothin fancy , just good 'ol stick to your ribs eatin'.

Ham hocks and beans

Ham Hock and beans soup
2 cups Pinto beans
Pinch of baking soda
1-2 smoked ham hocks
1 large onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon basil leaves
2 bay leaves
1 garlic clove, minced

Soak beans in 2 quarts water overnight.
Pour off soak water, and add fresh water, soda, and ham hock. Cook the hock with the beans until beans are tender, about 2-3 hours. Sauté onion and rest of ingredients in oil until tender-crisp, about three minutes. Add to beans. Let simmer on low until the ham is falling off the hock.
This goes great with any bread and a salad , I prefer flour tortillas or buttermilk biscuits.
If you really want to get 'down home' , make some white cornbread , crumble that up in a glass and pour in buttermilk to the top , enjoy with a big green onion !
:)

Just posted this one on some food forums today. I have a massive collection of recipes I have written and recipes I have saved.

My sister in law saw this idea on Food Network Canada, and relayed it to my
wife, who relayed it to me. We have cooked it twice now. Easy and very
tasty. It freezes well too.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Pinwheel Pasta Or Cheats Cannelloni

main dish, pasta, dairy, canadian

18 sheets lasagne; ridged if possible
300 gms frozen spinach
454 gms ricotta
250 gms philadelphia cream cheese
100 gms parmagiano reggiano
170 gms mozzarella
4 slices proscuitto; optional
16 cubes butter; 1 cm across
salt
black pepper
nutmeg
----Sauce----
1 jar spicy or plain pasta sauce -=or=-
----Spicy Tomato Sauce----
500 gms italian plum tomatoes
4 cloves garlic; chopped
1/2 med onion; chopped
2 med jalapeno or hungarian chiles; deseeded and chopped
2 tablespoons basil; chopped
2 tablespoons italian flat leaf parsley; chopped
1 chicken/veg stock cube
500 mls water

To make the sauce

If using fresh tomatoes, put a cross into the bottom of the tomatoes with a
sharp knife and lower into boiling water for two minutes. Lift out and put
into a bowl of chilled water. Peel, cut in half through the waist, and
squeeze out most of the seeds. Cut into pieces. Put all the ingredients for
the sauce into a pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Purée using a stick
blender. The end result should be a sauce that is a little thinner than
soup. You can however eat this recipe as soup.

To make the Pasta

Defrost the spinach and chop into pieces. Put the Ricotta, Cream Cheese,
chopped Proscuitto and Spinach into a bowl. Add salt, ground black pepper
and nutmeg to taste. Combine the ingredients well.
Simmer the lasagne sheets in boiling salted water until soft and pliable
(about 5 minutes). The ridged sheets hold the filling better. Drain and lay
the sheets onto greaseproof paper laying away from you (back of worktop to
front of worktop).

Using a spatula to hold the filling and a table knife to scrape off the
filling, put a line of filling down the centre of the sheets about 20mm
wide and 10mm high. A forcing bag with a plain nozzle would be easier.
Leave the furthest 20mm of pasta clear. Roll up the pasta from the front to
back. You will see that the filling will ooze to the back edge and sides.
Don't overfill. Spoon a thin layer of sauce over the base of a 12' x 8'
ovenproof dish and lay the rolls of filled pasta, seam edge down, in rows
of three across and six down. Spoon on more tomato sauce until just
covered. Grate on the Mozzarella, and the Parmesan. Add the cubes of butter
(optional). Bake in a 325 preheated oven for 45 minutes to an hour until
the cheese is golden. Serve on a hot plate with a little extra sauce and
shaved Parmesan.

----images----
http://www3.sympatico.ca/polperro/bbc/pasta1.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/polperro/bbc/pasta2.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/polperro/bbc/pasta3.jpg

Contributor: Andrew Taylor Toronto - Canada

Yield: 8 persons

** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.74 **
--
Andrew Taylor
Toronto - Canada
~

Cabbage and noodles

This is an old recipe of my mother's, from Hungary.

Noodles and Cabbage

1 Lb Thick sliced bacon, cut into-1/2 inch pieces (you can -also substitute salt pork)
1 Md Onion, sliced thin
1 Md Head of green cabbage,-shredded medium
1 Lb Wide egg noodles or bowties
1/2 Ts Pepper
1 T Salt

Cook the noodles according to package directions.

Cook the bacon in a large skillet or wok; add onion when the bacon is about half cooked. Continue cooking until the onion is completely soft and the bacon is nicely browned, but not crisp.

Drain off some of the fat--leave 2-3 tablespoons. You'll notice with higher-quality bacon, you may not even have 2-3 tablespoons (that's okay, too!). Return the wok or skillet to the heat and add the cabbage. If it is too much for the pan, add half and cook it down a bit before adding the rest. Cook until the cabbage is done (3-5 minutes). Stir in the noodles, salt, and pepper.

This meal taste better the older it gets.

Mock Shepards Pie

Ingredients
1 lb chopped meat
1 small onion

1 can tomato soup

10 oz pkg frozen vegetable (your choice)

instant mashed potatoes

cheddar cheese

Directions
Cut up onion and saute with chopped meat til brown. Add in can of tomato soup (DO NOT ADD WATER), simmer for few minutes. Make instant mashed potatoes according to package directions (the amount depends on how much potatoes you wish to use). In a microwavable casserole dish, put the sauted meat on the bottom, the next layer will be the vegetables you chose(spread them out over the meat). Next layer is the mashed potatoes as much as you want to put in. Last put as much cheddar cheese as you want on the top of the mashed potatoes. Place in microwave, covered, on high setting for 10 minutes and your done.

Serving Suggestions
With biscuits or dinner rolls or homemade bread.

Mitch Hedberg (RIP) mentioned his favorite hotel, DoubleTree in some of his material, as well as the complementary cookies they offer guests, so when I found the recipe, I attached his name to it. Good cookie recipe. "Two trees add up to great accommodations."

Mitch Hedberg’s DoubleTree Hotel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rolled oats
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
2 eggs
3 cups semi-sweet, chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
Grind oats in a food processor or blender until fine. Combine the ground oats with the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.

Cream together the butter, sugars, vanilla, and lemon juice in another medium bowl with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix until smooth. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and blend well. Add the chocolate chips and nuts to the dough and mix by hand until ingredients are well blended.

For the best results, chill the dough overnight in the refrigerator before baking the cookies.

Spoon rounded 1/4 cup portions onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Place the scoops about 2 inches apart. Bake in a 350°F oven for 16-18 minutes or until cookies are light brown and soft in the middle. Store in a sealed container when cool to keep soft.

"Big Fun" Spinach Salad

Put two bags of pre-packaged spinach in a chilled bowl, add shredded carrots, red bell peppers and fresh grated parmesan cheese. Top with olive oil or your favorite dressing. Expect e. coli symptoms such as fevers, chills, bad cramping, stomach pain, vomiting, or diarrhea to appear within a day or so. When this happens, just call your doctor. Enjoy.

I wish I had the recipe for blinis. A Lithuanian dish, sort of a potato pancake. If you've ever had one, you know what I'm talking about. Great with sour cream.

I have had Blinis with Beluga. Very nice too!

" Potato blinis with Red caviar "

I n g r e d i e n t s
10 large potatoes
4 whole eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons canola oil
13 tbs natural red salmon caviar (about 12 tbs)
1 cup sour cream
1 tb finely chopped chives

Place peeled potatoes in a saucepan with water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and boil gently for 30 minutes, until the potato is tender. Drain,and press through a food mill into a bowl. Add whole eggs and mix well with a whisk. Mix in the milk, salt. In a skillet, heat oil. When hot, add about 1/4 cup of crepe mixture, which should spread to create small circles. Cover over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cookie sheet and keep in a warm oven until you make the remainder of the crepes.

To serve, spread the entire top surface of the warm crepres with red caviar. Mound 2 tbls sour cream in the center and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.

Bon Appetit!

Wowsers TE, throw out the peppers and that sounds like first grade chow!!!
I'm not much of a cook, I tend to keep it simple. Cheeseburger hamburger helper done like the box says cept I throw in some garlic salt and simmer it till it's thick as paste. :D Love that stuff!

This one's for Ren:

Kitty Litter Kake

CAKE INGREDIENTS:
1 box spice or German chocolate cake mix
1 box of white cake mix
1 package white sandwich cookies
1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix
A few drops green food coloring
12 small Tootsie Rolls or equivalent

SERVING "DISHES AND UTENSILS"
1 NEW cat-litter box
1 NEW cat-litter box liner
1 NEW pooper scooper

1) Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan. Prepare pudding and chill. Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or food processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs. Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside.

2) When cakes are at room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.

3) Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable. Shape
The blunt ends into slightly curved points. Repeat with three more rolls. Bury the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture. Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.

4) Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with crumbs from the litter box. Heat the remaining Tootsie Roll until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box. Place box on a sheet of newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy! ?

"Kitty Litter Cake"

attachment.php

Cheesey Potato Bell Pepper Chowder

10 servings 45 min 15 min prep

4 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 cup chopped red bell peppers
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup flour
6 cups chicken broth
3 large baking potatoes, peeled and finely diced
1 teaspoon chopped chives
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups half-and-half, can use milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, heaping
1 cup shredded swiss cheese, heaping
salt, to taste

In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add onion, bell peppers and garlic and sautee until tender.

Briskly stir in the flour.

Add the chicken broth and stir well.

Stir in the potatoes, chives and pepper; bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. *Stir FREQUENTLY to prevent sticking on bottom.

Add half and half and cheeses; stir constantly until cheese is melted.
Add salt; if needed to taste.
Serve.

I make a fantastic roast chicken!! I disect away the skin, and sink fresh garlic cloves in stategic places, and in the cavaity of course. I butter the skin, put salt & pepper on the skin as well. In the same roasting pan, I put baby carrots, baby red potatos, or I cut up big red potatos, and whole mushrooms. I put fresh rosemary & thyme on the veggies, as well, as a little butter, and I lightly spray the veggies with oil. Then roast the whole thing.

With the chicken carcass, I make a wonderful chicken soup. I put the carcass in a crock pot, along with a whole onion, and water, then slow cook it over night. All the meat just falls off it. The next day, I fish out all the bones, cartilege etc. out. I use a collander and drain & collect the liquid from the carcass cooking overnite. I use that for my base. I cut up the chicken, meat, cut up carrots, celery, and the onion that had been cooking overnite. I add a little bit of rice. I slow cook that until the veggies are tender. And there you go, a nice chicken soup.

Anyone got a good sausage, peppers and onions recipe?

Not really a recipe, but my father grills his. Puts sausage, peppers and onions, including mushrooms, eggplant, shrimp in a wok, and just dumps Teriyaki sauce, butter and olive oil on it, until everything is drenched. Stir it around and around and around, until you've taken a handful of the drenched vegetables. Then, put it on the skewer, or cook straight up in a colander on the grill. Not a colander, flat, not oval, I don't know what it is. I just know how to make it. Anyway, it's really good.

John’s cook book

WV chili
2 lbs. venison cubed into stew meat
2 Lbs. hot sausage, bratwurst or other favorite
1/4 lbs. bacon
1 quart canned tomatoes
1 large tomato
12 oz kidney beans and or black beans
8 oz raw mushrooms
2 large onions
2-4 granny smith apples
2 cup raisins
1 pt. apple cider (hard preferred)
1/4 cup blackberry wine (kosher preferred)
1 oz soy sauce
1/4 cup sorghum molasses
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. Honey ( I prefer wildflower)
3 jalapeno peppers sliced
3 banana peppers sliced
2 heaping Tbs. salsa (not picante) (see Simple Salsa for a recipe if you want or a high quality store-bought brand if you prefer)
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. crushed garlic
2 Tsp Italian herbs
2 Tsp basil
2 Tsp sage
2 Tsp curry powder
2 Tsp powdered garlic
2 Tbs. paprika
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 2 Tbs. of cumin powder
3 Tbs. Chili Powder
3 Tbs. Black Pepper (I prefer freshly cracked)
Salt to Taste
Cheese (optional for garnish)
Brown venison over a high heat, add sausage, and bacon, then add onions, hot peppers, tomato, crushed garlic, and apples. Turn heat down to med/hi and add beans, canned tomatoes, mushrooms, Cider, wine, soya, lemon juice, brown sugar, molasses, honey, and salsa. Add spices in order given then add raisins, cook at med temps for at least 30 min. (the longer the better 1-3 hours 1 hour med/low the rest warm to low for a thicker broth). Serve with Crackers, Cheese, bread, sandwiches, over rice or however you like. Keeps well in refrigerator and tastes even better after sitting for a few days.

Short Ribs Glorp

Back in college my roommate would buy beef short ribs at the local airbase commissary for 39 cents a pound. One day when it was my turn to cook the shortribs were frozen. This was over 35 years ago when students didn't own microwaves. I wanted to come up with a quick way to cook these thick cuts of meat and bones that would be flavorful without burning or drying out the ribs. Here's what I did:

I layed the ribs on their edges in an aluminum 13 x 9 baking pan. I filled the baking pan about 2/3 full with red zinfandel wine. I put together a home made barbeque sauce (but any good barbeque sauce works ok). I put a thick coat of sauce on the top of the ribs and put them under the broiler in the oven. I broiled until the sauce charred and brushed on more sauce. I turned the ribs over and broiled the other side the same way. I kept applying sauce and flipping the ribs.

When I pulled the pan out it was full of wine, barbeque sauce, carmelized barbeque sauce, and heavy meat juices from the meat fat. We covered our little dining nook table with newspaper. I put a whole newspaper in the center of the table as a hot pad. I set the pan full of ribs, wine and savory juices in the middle of the table. We gathered round and helped ourselves. We would put a rib on our plate, cut off a bitesize piece and dip it back in the pan full of juices with our fork. Next we pop it straight in our mouths. The juices dripped all over the table as we ate. It was the most incredible stuff I ever tried. This became a weekly ritual and we gathered guests from all over our apartment complex. When the smell of glorp got out people would come drooling at our door.

We only used frozen short ribs the first time. It works better with thawed ribs. There is a lot of fat in the juice from the ribs. Since my heart attack I don't fix this anymore. This is an incredibly manly dish, but my girlfriend would never miss glorp night.

Ham hocks and beans

Ham Hock and beans soup
2 cups Pinto beans
Pinch of baking soda
1-2 smoked ham hocks
1 large onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon basil leaves
2 bay leaves
1 garlic clove, minced

Soak beans in 2 quarts water overnight.
Pour off soak water, and add fresh water, soda, and ham hock. Cook the hock with the beans until beans are tender, about 2-3 hours. Sauté onion and rest of ingredients in oil until tender-crisp, about three minutes. Add to beans. Let simmer on low until the ham is falling off the hock.
This goes great with any bread and a salad , I prefer flour tortillas or buttermilk biscuits.
If you really want to get 'down home' , make some white cornbread , crumble that up in a glass and pour in buttermilk to the top , enjoy with a big green onion !
:)

i do the same thing but with dry lima beans. Your right rbeltf, it's great with cornbread

Back