Your favorite TRADITIONAL sheath knife (hopefully pic heavy)

marblepics.jpg

I cant stop admiring this nice job you did. :thumbup:
And that sheath...

Peter

Dang that cactus is pretty. Did you day you can get it at pet stores?
I might get a blade blank and do a handle like that.
Can you link to the thread where you described your process, or post it again?
Thanks in advance.

Dang that cactus is pretty. Did you day you can get it at pet stores?
I might get a blade blank and do a handle like that.
Can you link to the thread where you described your process, or post it again?
Thanks in advance.

It is really simply...

Buy your cholla, as I said pet stores are good sources and some hobby shops will have it in their dried flower section. Hobby shops are also the best place to buy casting resin or you can order online but you will have to pay shipping.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=75

You can use opaque or transparent dyes in just about any color you desire.

If you are going to make a one piece like I did here use a mold that will just fit the cholla, doesn't matter if it touches the mold inside, just be less to have to sand off. I used a piece of paper towel roll. Fit cholla to handle, pour mold about half full of the mixed resin, insert cholla with blade in place (i place the mold on a tin can and poured sand around it to hold it upright). Top off with resin if needed. Tap handle a good bit to help fill voids. Let set for 72 hours. Then it is just a matter of removing excess resin to expose the cholla. Polish and finish wood. To make scales cut cholla in half and do the same basic process.

What kind a steel is it?
Can you post picutes?

I think the little finn is about the perfect knife, for me at least.

Enjoy the knife.

Peter

I think mine is DIN 1.4116 SS and made in China. Previously they were made in Taiwan in AUS6. DIN 1.4116 is similar to 440A. If you want US made - Case's 0381 FINN is a near twin. I am not knocking the steel itself, but my preference for Carbon blades. It is a darn handy little knife and while the same size as a folder, it is much easier to clean. I much prefer fixed blades for game cleaning whether it is deer, dove, duck or fish.

I think mine is DIN 1.4116 SS and made in China. Previously they were made in Taiwan in AUS6. DIN 1.4116 is similar to 440A. If you want US made - Case's 0381 FINN is a near twin. I am not knocking the steel itself, but my preference for Carbon blades. It is a darn handy little knife and while the same size as a folder, it is much easier to clean. I much prefer fixed blades for game cleaning whether it is deer, dove, duck or fish.

I agree with you on that.
If you look at the first post of this tread you'll see my preference is carbon steel too. Thats why I didnt buy a case little finn. However I have the KaBar little finn made in taiwan.
But the Western little finn from the 60s is by far my favorite.

Thanks for the reply

Peter

Back