Your first knife you made was?

So what was the fist knife you made? Do you have any photos to post? What tools did you use to make your first knife? How long have you been making knives? Can you post a photo of the last knife you made to show a comparison in the quality you learned through the years?

The knife I consider my "First" knife was a small drop point mad from a planer blade using a 6" bench grinder. Brass bolsters and an elk antler handle. I will have to post a pic later. The planer blades were so hard and I had no way or knowledge of how to anneal it or HT again after blade was done. So I ground a slot thru the tang with an angle grinder and used pins and epoxy to put it together. I did this in 1984 but I do not consider beginning until 1992 when i was taught how to forge and make Damascus. So I have been making for about 16 yrs.

Looking back at mine it was also ugly. But at the time I was very pleased that it actually cut. I even used it to skin out a caribou in AK.

My first was a cleaver I made for a buddy at work about 4 years ago.

Attachments

• cleaver2.jpg
    cleaver2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 48
  • cleaver5.jpg
    cleaver5.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 39
This was my first when I didn't really know what I was doing last year and I've learned a lot but still don't know what I'm doing. I used a lot of files and sand paper and a small belt grinder. Just when I think I'm doing better something happens and screw something up but it's still fun. Yep, she's ugly.
IMG_3699_1.jpg

It was made from an old nuclear power plant fan blade and a tennis raquet handle.

IMG_3702_1.jpg

The reason I'm asking is that I keep trying to talk myself into and out of starting heh. On one hand I don't have a lot of tools. Other than a cordless drill, screwdriver and dremel I have no power tools. Counter to this I see where people have made knives with a heat source and some files. Some making their own tools. Another thing is that I see your work and am amazed that it's possible. Something that I can't live up to and it's kind of encouraging and discouraging at the same time. So I wanted to post a thread to see some of your humble beginnings and where you are now.

Mine was a Bowie Knife for my Dad Bruce Bump agreed to teach me how to make it for my Dad for fathers day. It took forever and it came out great because Bruce kept Telling me what to fix before it got bad. I was planning on just making the one knife, and today I purchased small bench top drill press so I can do more stuff at home. Yep make one (Good Bad or Ugly) and your hooked. Now my wife says I need to slow down on it but hey I cant find a better Hobbie anywhere.

Here is the pic of my first.
P6290033.JPG

My first completed knife was in 1995, it was a Phil Hartsfield inspired chisel ground hunter with a 1095 blade, brass bolsters and cocobolo handle. I gave it to the land owner of the hunting club I belonged to. It was pretty ugly but very sharp. I need to get around to finishing up some knives and taking a picture, I've got 3 on the bench right now ready for handle/guard fitting and heat treat.

That first blade was made with a Harbor Frieght drill press and a Craftsman belt sander that was held upside down in a bench vice, a handful of files and a lot of sandpaper mixed with elbow grease. I've upgraded grinders to a Burr King 960, I still usethat drill press and only really added a bandsaw to the mix.

I've taken some breaks along the way but always come back to making knives. I've been out of it for the last 2 almost 3 years due to divorce issues.

My fist knife? Well all that I can remeber is that it is the one at the BOTTOM of the pile in the Pinellas County landfill and it has about 100 of its brethren to keep it company:D

My first was cut out with Dremel cutting bits and the rest was done with files. It now resides in South Korea with my friend that I designed it for (as his present to himself for achieving Black Belt in Jujitsu). I gave it to him on my birthday, one year late as a present for his marriage. It is O1, with red liners and stabilized swordfish bill handle scales held together with Gorilla Glue.

Here it is:
IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

I suppose the first 'knife' I made was some scrap tin I played around with in metal shop in high school. It was about the most underwhelming cutter imaginable.

Wow, everyone is posting some really nice stuff as there first knife. Well Mine if ugly so as to not discourage others.
First Knife
Not my first knife

On my first knife, I used the "How to make a $50 knife" book as a guide. I found a piece of wood laying around, used some files, hack saw, used a blow torch to attempt to harden the blade. I think the only electric tool I used was a drill to get the holes. Either way, I didnt finish the project because I started buying tools soon after. Although some people find metal laying around I actually purchased that.

I have upgraded my shop and I would say that at the time the one thing that I needed most was a forge. The rest can still be done by hand, but I wouldn't.

-John

What a interesting post.
The UGLY one was forged 6 years ago with a propane torch in the basement.
The latest one was forged with the right tools and approx. 120 knives later...
It reminds me of the group "Blood sweat and Tears"

DSC_0006-4.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Mine was a Bowie Knife for my Dad Bruce Bump agreed to teach me how to make it for my Dad for fathers day. It took forever and it came out great because Bruce kept Telling me what to fix before it got bad. I was planning on just making the one knife, and today I purchased small bench top drill press so I can do more stuff at home. Yep make one (Good Bad or Ugly) and your hooked. Now my wife says I need to slow down on it but hey I cant find a better Hobbie anywhere.

Here is the pic of my first.
P6290033.JPG

Larry didnt tell you but this knife is forged from a ball bearing. Nice one Larr!

My first knife was made in 1983, and was made from and old saw blade, walnut scales from a local gunstock factory, it was cut out with a metal cutting band saw, and ground with a 6 inch bench grinder, and sanded with a sanding belt on a wood cutting band saw, and hand sanding. This old knife has skinned alot of deer. it is the top one. The bottom one is one of my latest knives, made of 440c. and green camel bone scales.

http://http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l228/dwknives/knives/?action=view&current=100_1778.jpg

Back