Your first time driving?

This weekend me and my dad were in Maine when he brought me to an empty highschool parking lot and let me cruise (between the stalling with his nearly dead clutch) in his Saab 900. I had driven before that, two years ago, but it was a short and narrow parking lot (at his company) where I was really getting the hang of clutch/gas/brake timing and usage more than steering and driving. I got to thinking about when other people started driving. I'm getting my permit in December, but surely many others here have started a little early in parking lots, driveways, roads that are never used etc.?

1) How old were you when you were driving?

2) WHAT were you driving?

3) Any slip-ups? :D I backed one tire up over a curb :eek: :p

I was about 15-16 when I would grab the car keys & 'drive' up & down the driveway...a run of about 40'! :D That was allowed until I 'tapped' the side of the garage. I'll always remember my one friend when he was close to getting his permit...he got the family car almost sideways in the garage & had to have his mother get it straightened out before his 'old man' came home from work! :eek: Oh, those were the good old days!!!

NeedleRemorse said:

3) Any slip-ups? :D I backed one tire up over a curb :eek: :p

1. Six years old or so. Granddad had a farm so someone had to drive while hauling hay.

2. 1970 Chevy Pickup

3. I popped the clutch and run through a barb wire fence. Truck was beat to hell so no problems there. Fixing the fence was another thing though.

samhell said:
Truck was beat to hell so no problems there. Fixing the fence was another thing though.
How old were you when you had to fix the fence? :D

I drove my dad's 1979 Ford F150 at the age of eleven. It was a manual tranny and I learned how to back it up to the loading docks of the warehouses he had to pick up at. He would let me drive it out of the dock and around the corner about 2 blocks to the hotdog truck for lunch. :D I never got into trouble until the day I got my license. I was driving my "new" 1978 Buick Regal and got pulled over by local fuzz for running a yellow exactly 27 minutes after I picked up my license. He let me go because my dad was also a cop in town. From that point on I never, ever, got a ticket.

I'd say that the first time I actually Drove (with a capital D) was about two years ago when I got my first Mercedes.

You haven't really Driven until you've driven a Benz.

logo_new.gif

:D

The first time I remember driving for real was when I was about 12 or 13. My step dad (Tom) was drunk off his ass (he was a hard-core alcoholic), and we had to get back home to Hoquiam from his sister's place in a little town named Doty (about a 60-70 mile drive on "country roads"), so I could go to school the next day, and he could go to work the next day (hangover and all...Which was normal SAP for a logger "back in the day"). This was a Sunday, late afternoon.

It was somewhere around a '57-'58 Chevy pickup truck, with a "3-on-the-floor" transmission (the floor mounted shifter was about 3 & 1/2 feet long), and I'm not really sure how I managed to drive (and reach the clutch/break, and gas pedals) at the same time, but somehow I got us back home in one piece.

Gollnick said:
.....You haven't really Driven until you've driven a Benz.....

Well, I rarely disagree with your advice, Chuck, but in this case..... ;)

I just bought our 15th Mercedes (a used ML320 for my son), but I think BMW's are much better "drivers" (and I've had 5 of those!).

The first time I drove a car I was probably 14, in the school parking lot (back then elementary, middle and high schools were all in the same building). It was a pink Saturn stickshift. I'd been driving HS tractors for a while, so I had the accel/decel/turn stuff down, once I'd mastered the clutch it was easy. Just after I got my license I drove into the side of the garage, having overestimated the amount of room I had to turn around in my driveway.

We did not own a car when I was a lad; dad worked only blocks from the house, and this was an old-timey neighborhood where you could fill all your needs from little mom-pop stores.
If we needed to go "downtown", there were buses and Service Cars.

Dad aquired a 1950 Mercury just before I went into the army, around 1964.

I didn't actually drive anything in the army, other than to be able to move an armored personel carrier around the track pad.

When I got out in '67, I needed to learn to drive, so I invested in a commercial driving course. Best money I ever spent. The guy was a crusty old gent who taught me not only the mechanics of driving, but the tactics and tricks as well.
I said I wanted to learn on a standard transmission, so he showed up in a huge old Impala with 3-on-the-tree and no power steering either. We spent a whole day on parallel parking, and I thought my arms would drop off!

I havent driven yet (parents :mad: ), but I've driven a boat :cool: and a Toro tractor... I need to learn how to steer better... :eek:

First time for me..errr..at 14
I stole my friends Steve Dad's Bonneville..cruised over to my other friends house and picked him up..we drove around the neighborhood for about an hour..I dropped curt off and went and put a bucks worth of gas in the car at the local gas station and parked it back in front of his house! I did it on a dare because my friend steve said I didnt have the balls..I said I did..so he told me where the spare key was in a magnet box on the bumper..man those were different times...

Ok,
I was 11 and went to my dad's Nat. Guard weekend at Camp Perry...I had to take his 1990 Chevy Suburban and drive all of his guys between the range and the barracks, in return they let me shoot. It was a weekend full of driving and bullets, and boy was it a good time. Beleive it or not, No slip-up. I had been dreaming of driving for so long that it was like second nature when I finally got behind the wheel.

When I was 12 years old I was begging for a four wheeler, dirt bike, or something to screw around with on the hunting property we have. One weekend when I get down there, my Dad tells me that he got me something to "tool around in." I'm thinking I've just gotten that four wheeler/dirt bike that I'd been wanting soo bad. Turns out it was a 1970's mail jeep painted metalic baby blue, sliding doors and all. Some of my favorite memories of my childhood, I had in that jeep. I wasn't allowed to dive on the roads of course, just around the property. Never got into any trouble until I got my license

Esav Benyamin said:
How old were you when you had to fix the fence? :D

I think I was around 10 when I did that. I believe my granddad's words where "What you don't tear up, you sh#t on." :D

ummm like 17, maybe close on 18 (cause on my 18th I bought my first car)...hadnt really cared none about it all before that.

My dads Ford Falcon, cant remember the model but a newer one (unlike my yummy old XB Coupe ;)).

3) Any slip-ups?

Well my mom said "get in and drive" cause I'd been passing it up till then, I basically hit the corner WAY too fast and sought of sent the car drifting :p i luckily didnt total the car but it was my moms fault :D I'd only played PS2 racing up till then lol.

I did however a few months after buying my first car (a 1998 Toyota Corolla SECA) try to start it out of my car to let the air-con run a while ;) i didnt realise it was in gear and sent it through the side fence :p amazingly after knocking it down it only busted the licence plate up, the fender was unscaved.

PS. You havnt driven a real car till you have over 450 HP sitting under the hood of your car ;) I loves my Ford XB!!! last of the true muscle cars...

Other than some goofing around in a driveway I think the first time was in driver's ed. After some basics in an empty parking lot the instructor, a teacher at my high school, figured out where we lived (and some of us were close to 20 miles away) and made the four of us take turns driving in regular traffic to our homes--insane! But we all passed our tests first try, which at that time in my part of NJ wasn't all that common.

About a week after I got my license I had to drive Mom's big ass Impala from NJ to Waterbury CT--no maps, just vague directions from an uncle to one of the hilliest cities in the East. I think they had to crowbar my hands off the wheel after I got to my grandparent's :)

Back