your lightest shelter setup.

My lightest shelter is no shelter, just a ground cloth, but I guess that's not answering the question.
My latest and lightest is a Tarptent Notch. I bought it for the versatility, as it has very little interior space-actually less usable space than my hooped bivy, but I can sit up in it, get dressed a lot more easily, and enter/exit without getting rain or snow all over my sleeping bag, like would happen with my bivy.
It's versatile because it has:
-a separate innernet, which is a bathtub floor attached to bug netting. Great for when the bugs are out. 26oz for the shelter with stakes.
-the separate innernet can also be set up alone. 9oz for just the innernet.
-In cold weather, when the bugs aren't out, the fly can be set up alone, and I have a cuben fiber bathtub floor that I got to go with it. 19.7oz total(17 for the fly plus stakes, 2.7 for the cuben floor).
It's light, easy to pack, and only takes a few minutes to set up. Uses my trekking poles instead of dedicated poles. The packed size is small enough across that I carry it in the mesh bottle holder pocket on one side of my pack.
I haven't had it that long, and have only used it 3 or 4 times, since I've been doing more dayhiking than overnighters. As yet have not tried the innernet alone, or the fly with the cuben floor. So far so good, though.

Here it is in my yard with the fly and cuben floor:
img01354201207130931.jpg

And with the inner net:
img01353201207130907.jpg

Nice setup! I like the net too! Looks cool and good enough for rain! How do you like your sleeping pad? I just grabbed a thermarest sol zlite because I didnt want an inflatable. The zlite is big but I put it outside my pack and I dont care if it gets wet...easy to dry. Let me know thanks

My lightest shelter is no shelter, just a ground cloth, but I guess that's not answering the question.
My latest and lightest is a Tarptent Notch. I bought it for the versatility, as it has very little interior space-actually less usable space than my hooped bivy, but I can sit up in it, get dressed a lot more easily, and enter/exit without getting rain or snow all over my sleeping bag, like would happen with my bivy.
It's versatile because it has:
-a separate innernet, which is a bathtub floor attached to bug netting. Great for when the bugs are out. 26oz for the shelter with stakes.
-the separate innernet can also be set up alone. 9oz for just the innernet.
-In cold weather, when the bugs aren't out, the fly can be set up alone, and I have a cuben fiber bathtub floor that I got to go with it. 19.7oz total(17 for the fly plus stakes, 2.7 for the cuben floor).
It's light, easy to pack, and only takes a few minutes to set up. Uses my trekking poles instead of dedicated poles. The packed size is small enough across that I carry it in the mesh bottle holder pocket on one side of my pack.
I haven't had it that long, and have only used it 3 or 4 times, since I've been doing more dayhiking than overnighters. As yet have not tried the innernet alone, or the fly with the cuben floor. So far so good, though.

Here it is in my yard with the fly and cuben floor:
img01354201207130931.jpg

And with the inner net:
img01353201207130907.jpg

Nice setup! I like the net too! Looks cool and good enough for rain! How do you like your sleeping pad? I just grabbed a thermarest sol zlite because I didnt want an inflatable. The zlite is big but I put it outside my pack and I dont care if it gets wet...easy to dry. Let me know thanks

Like codger64, I have moved past ultra light, and gone for comfort. I'd guess that the total weight of my Eureka Outfitter 6 man tent, cot, mattress, floor coverings, tarp set up and chairs runs somewhere north of 100 pounds.
Takes two men and a boy to set it all up, but golly it's comfy. :D
I spent forty or fifty years hiking and camping with minimal gear. Now that I have passed 67, It's a whole different world for me.
camping.jpg

16 oz supertarp, add the door will increase weight 5 oz, use trekking pole to setup. I prefure to use MSR groundhog stakes, the kit wight 8oz. It cost a pretty penny, but for a weight penalty of 3.5lbs, you can add a wood burning stove! Ive had mine going on 4 years and it is still a great solo shelter. When snow is expected I prefure the sawtooth or paratipi since the door is not a perfect seal, but unless you stake it into the wind, you are okay. For the other 3 seasons I use a hammock (HH, 2QZQ mod 4, JRB quilts).

1.JPG

Hammock
6579521395_1dd6b92859_b.jpg

Like codger64, I have moved past ultra light, and gone for comfort. I'd guess that the total weight of my Eureka Outfitter 6 man tent, cot, mattress, floor coverings, tarp set up and chairs runs somewhere north of 100 pounds.
Takes two men and a boy to set it all up, but golly it's comfy. :D
I spent forty or fifty years hiking and camping with minimal gear. Now that I have passed 67, It's a whole different world for me.

I haven't hit quite 100# yet, but with a canoe as a packhorse, it is definately doable. And yeah, anymore I don't go out to rough it. I go out to smooth it. I have made do with a GI poncho made into a tipi wrapped aroung river cane during a cold rain. With a candle inside and a grass floor, I stayed dry, comfy and warm if a bit cramped for space. I much prefer a bit of comfort these days. That doesn't keep me from loving the offerings of Tarptent and the other UL guys though. I do day trip in the canoe with the aforementioned salvaged tent rainfly in my drybox though, so if something did happen, I have a light compact shelter. I have not weighed it, but a close guess is 1 to 1 1/2#. It has the guylines still attached but I have to improvise poles or use trees and make stakes or use rocks. Still it provides a bigger shelter than the GI poncho.

I have an older model Sierra Designs Divine Light tent. It is a one man tent that comes in at about 2 lbs. It is not free standing. The floor and sides are Polyurethane coated. The top is Gore-Tex breathable fabric. It is tall enough to sit up in, but there is no room for baggage. I put my gear outside in waste basket liners. It protects me from bugs and weather. The thing is quite small, but I am quite large. I call it the "dog house". If you ride 100 miles a day on your bicycle, you can sleep standing on your head in a phone booth.

I like my Air Cores fine, but wish I'd just gone ahead and bought an Exped Synmat UL7. Costs more, but it's a nicer pad, and lighter.

I don't typically do overnighters, so I just carry an Equinox Myotis Ultralight 8x8 silnylon tarp with some cord and stakes,
and a Space Bag in the event that I have to stay overnight, or help someone else that I happen across, due to an emergency.

I have been camping for many years and always had a good sized tent and plenty of gear to match. Going against my character and upbringing, for purposes of compactness and weight, I recently bought a hammock. DAMN, what a comfortable sleeping rig, an I have two herniated disks.

Check +1 for the hammock!

Well, I finally had a chance to put up the StratoSpire two yesterday. I was in it until about 0400 this morning…after a trip to the bathroom, it was easier to slide into bed:D

DSCF1338.jpg

DSCF1339.jpg

DSCF1340.jpg

DSCF1342.jpg

DSCF1348.jpg

It took me a little while to put it up the first time, but after a couple of pitches, it really does go up fast. I want to play with setting up the fly and mesh solo today. I mixed up a solution of silicone seam sealer and sealed all the seams. I took my Kifaru 20-degree Slick bag along with my HPG Mountain Serape and a Z-lite sleeping pad. I never touched the Kifaru and the MS was more than enough for the overnight lows of 45 degrees. It was very humid and a lot of condensation was built up. The “double layer” which is the mesh net really works well to keep the separation.

My wife was at an event last night and got home about 2200 last night; I was in the Tarptent reading my Kindle and she climbed in with me. She was surprised at the room inside and, like me, really liked the double-door design.

The vestibule coverage is really good too. Great place to store your pack (if it isn’t too big) and your shoes/boots. One of the pooches slept just inside the opened vestibule; another good place for your dog to curl up and be close but not sleeping on you!

I need to get out the Tyvek footprint and check the coverage area and trim as needed today. All in all, very pleased with the design, weight and setup! This will replace our hammocks for that colder “fourth” season backpacking and still keeps the load as compact and as light as a hammock without having to rig up a bulky under-quilt.

ROCK6

Nice to see you pitching the new tent. After a few setups I came to a few conclusions; first is that I set my SS1 up differently then the instructions said to. I pitch the corners first then I pitch my treking poles, leaving the sides for last. I find that when I do this, I can even out the vestibule doors and really stretch the entire rain fly better. This gets rid of that sag along the reinforced corner and the door that isnt directly tensioned at the corner. Second, I found that I get far less condensation if I leave at least one door open. I havent camped in any low spots or near standing water which also helps, but I really like the rain fly door open for views as well as the improved condensation.
I've also been thinking that the tyvek ground cloth isnt really needed. I still bring it on trips, but its a strong canidate for being left behind.
Glad you like your SS2. It looks huge!

Nice to see you pitching the new tent. After a few setups I came to a few conclusions; first is that I set my SS1 up differently then the instructions said to. I pitch the corners first then I pitch my treking poles, leaving the sides for last. I find that when I do this, I can even out the vestibule doors and really stretch the entire rain fly better. This gets rid of that sag along the reinforced corner and the door that isnt directly tensioned at the corner. Second, I found that I get far less condensation if I leave at least one door open. I havent camped in any low spots or near standing water which also helps, but I really like the rain fly door open for views as well as the improved condensation.
I've also been thinking that the tyvek ground cloth isnt really needed. I still bring it on trips, but its a strong canidate for being left behind.
Glad you like your SS2. It looks huge!

Yeah, it’s pretty big; not so much the internal, but the design gives you a lot of available space. I too noticed a few different ways to make it tauter. With the humidity down here, even in the winter, these sil-nylon tents do need adequate ventilation. I did cut the footprint down a little. I’ll make my wife carry it:D It depends on the area; I typically pack one along to avoid rocks or sticky pine-needles messing up the bottom.

I’m looking forward to getting out on the trail!

ROCK6

My lightest shelter is a Bibler [Black Diamond] Climbing Bivy Sack. It's very light and very weather proof. I've slept out on glaciers in monsoon rains. I've slept under the stars in Yosemite at 10, 000 feet. It's crazy light despite being 100% stormproof too. Do I like it? Nope. I use it when nothing else will do. Like when flat open spaces are not an option or when weight has to be low. I'm very claustrophobic so it's not my favourite way to sleep. The other problem with bivy sacks is when the weather sucks, there's no place to hang-out with your mates - tarps and such aren't always an option in the mountains. If I had to take a tarp and a bivy bag, I might as well bring a tent.

Back