your name/logo

v-6

what do you use to put your name or logo on your knives.
and where did you get it and is it easy to use?
vern

I use a high end etcher and stencil from Ernie, he charges $30 including shipping, no set up fee. Fast service and great stencils.

His contact info:
Ernie Grospitch
407-568-5438
www.erniesknives.com

Tell him Will sent you, maybe eventually I'll get a discount or something ;)

I use a Press to stamp mine in. It will last a life time. I have 3 sizes to use. But will need one more down the road for folders. That's all. :thumbup:

Here is what I put on most of my using knives. It is what it is my name. :)

I think that its more important WHAT you mark your knives with, then how you do it. So many times I have had individuals come into my shop asking me if I could identify a maker by some wild logo or initials that were on a blade, because they wanted to contact the maker about another knife. I believe its imperative that your knives be marked in such a manner that there is no doubt about who made the knife. Unless you have a logo that is a worldwide household name, either leave it off, or ONLY add it if you name is there too. So many times makers get caught up in having a fancy logo, that they forget....If people can't identify you as the maker, then they can't find you, and certainly cannot order another piece from you.

Very true. However when they figure out what to mark on the knives the question of how is still looming overhead.

I totally agree with Ed. I had been asked many times to id a knife with just initials.

I use Marking Methods equipment, electrolyte and stencils. Expensive but they work good.

The only thing that worries me about the Etch-O-Matic is that the pad is so large and would need a big stencil. Are there any commercially avaible units that use a "wand" with a smaller pad

I added a photo to my last post on here as a illustration of one of my stamp impression. I been using this same stamp for about 4 years now and still working great. It will last a life time. No other fees or re-orders will ever be necessary. It works for me and thousand of others. :thumbup:

Jdm, size of the pad isn't really that big a concern, just use electrician's tape to cover up any areas you don't want etched.

Jdm, size of the pad isn't really that big a concern, just use electrician's tape to cover up any areas you don't want etched.

Does the Etch-O-Matic have the AC/DC option so you can get the black etch mark? I am inlcined to go with the Personalizer Plus because it has the seperate wand.

I used to use an etched mark and it worked just fine.
Then started making slipjoints, and pretty small ones at that...my stencils no longer fit the tang area on a small slipjoint, so found a fellow who delt in used
"New Hermes" pantograph style engravers and purchased one. It was probably in some jewelers store for 40 or 50 years before I bought it.... It is size adjustable and uses a diamond tipped stylus, so I can engrave my mark (last name), the blade steel type, and "KMG" which means I am/was a voting member of the Guild when I made the knife, as one of the last steps in making a folder...already heat treated as I grind all my blades after heat treat.
Ernie Grospitch was mentioned as a maker of stencils. From what I have seen of Ernie's work and heard about him as a maker/person, even though we haven't met face-to-face yet, I could easily recommend him.

I used to use an etched mark and it worked just fine.
Then started making slipjoints, and pretty small ones at that...my stencils no longer fit the tang area on a small slipjoint, so found a fellow who delt in used
"New Hermes" pantograph style engravers and purchased one. It was probably in some jewelers store for 40 or 50 years before I bought it.... It is size adjustable and uses a diamond tipped stylus, so I can engrave my mark (last name), the blade steel type, and "KMG" which means I am/was a voting member of the Guild when I made the knife, as one of the last steps in making a folder...already heat treated as I grind all my blades after heat treat.
Ernie Grospitch was mentioned as a maker of stencils. From what I have seen of Ernie's work and heard about him as a maker/person, even though we haven't met face-to-face yet, I could easily recommend him.
I have seen a goodly number of makrs made with Ernie's stencils and they look top notch. I am planning to buy stencils from him once I settle on a machine.

Back