Your Opinion Please - DC Handpiece

I'm thinking about replacing my Dremel and went looking at dental drils. Sitting in the chair getting my teeth drilled I've always thought what a great tool that was. Anyway, you can find a lot of this kind of stuff on ebay and here's one I'm thinking about buying, in place of a Foredom or HF knockoff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7580048725&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Hey, what's happened to the text option for links? Have I been gone so long I've forgotten how to use the thread tools? :confused:

So what do you folks think about this? I like the "high torque" idea (one thing my Dremel does not have). I'm very in favor of DC power for that reason. Anyway, lemme know what you think. This guy has a number of these so I'm not too concerned about one of you folks buying this out from under me. :D That'd be a good recommendation in my book.

If you're curious, you can find a lot of dental lab stuff under this category:

http://business.listings.ebay.com:80/Dental-Lab_Dental-Lab-Equipment_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ71377QQsocmdZListingItemList

Lights, casting equipment, neat stuff out the yinyang. :D

Thanks,

Dave, those micromotor units are used extensively in woodcarving and jewelry, too. They range in price from $159 to $1000. They don't even come close to the torque of a Foredom. That unit listed has a handpiece a lot bulkier than many I've looked at. Something critical to ask, too, is the collett size and if the unit has changeable collets. 1/16" dental burs need speeds far higher than anything but an air-turbine will go. In a micromotor 1/8 and 3/32" is good. 1/4", it won't have the necessary torque. Torque isn't everything, though. With the right carbide or diamond 1/16" bur and 400,000 RPM, I'll guarantee it can remove even hardened steel faster than you want despite having almost no torque. :)

If you want some links to a couple other options, lemme know. Steve Oleszewski highly recommended the unit from Gesswein, but it's twice the price.

Check out GRS Engraving for the top of the line micromotor and one bada$$ hihgspeed air turbine pen.

Mike's right. I used to know a knifemaker that was a dentist and he used one of those drills. It was no good for knifemaking.

I turned him on to Foredom and he never went back.
Replace the Dremel with a Foredom and you'll be much happier. They make them up to 1/4hp now.

When I got mine 25 years ago they just had 1/10hp and I'm still using it, but they replaced those with 1/8hp as standard a few years ago.

http://www.blackstoneind.com/foundations/store/home.asp

You want the "CC" machine and a #30, or 30H (which means heavy duty), handpiece(depending on hp rating).
You can buy the kit and get all kinds of bits to start out with.

I have mine on a hook above the bench and use their variable speed foot switch.

Dave, I agree with both Mike's. You already know my suggestion. I bet you could make more money doing teeth..... :D

Thanks, Peyton. That's the link for the highpriced spread; good stuff! "Turbocarver" is the lower-cost version of the highspeed pen.

There's a company called "Daniel Lopacki" that has some good deals on Foredom, also.

It's good to have (booming voice) "Link Ma-a-a-an" back! :)

Raymond Richard said:
Dave, I agree with both Mike's. You already know my suggestion. I bet you could make more money doing teeth..... :D
Okay guys, I'm convinced; Foredom it'll have to be. Dang though, I'm gonna spend a bundle and that means another six months of saving my change. :( I'm more into instant gratification every mortal day...

Ray, maybe I should add another line to my shingle: "Dave's Plumbing and Picture Framing & Custom Knifemaking & Dental Practice"

Mike, thanks for the Daniel Lopacki link. I'm now saving up for the Industrial kit... :D

fitzo said:
It's good to have (booming voice) "Link Ma-a-a-an" back! :)
Seconded! :D

Dave, how the heck do you do that multiple quote in one post? I like that. I'd like to find out how to make a link read "look here" or whatever instead of the http, too!

Dave, depending on what size tool shaft you plan on using with a Foredom, you might want to check out the handpieces with a jacobs chuck. I got one about a month ago and it's pretty handy not to have to change collets back and forth all the time. I can't remember if they'll take 1/4" shafts or not, but something tells me not.

Dave and others.If you want the big daddy for knife work,wood carving and jewelery work- check out the mastercarver from Wood Carvers Supply.I used to test some products for them,and they only sell top quality.Prices are reasonable.The mastercarver champion is a professional grade,1/3HP, reversible, 26,000RPM,suspended unit.It takes standard fordom type hand-pieces.You get three hand pieces with the set and a bunch of other stuff.You can put on a big 1/4" burr and hog out anything you want without stalling the motor.Snap on the micro handpiece and a 1/16" diamond burr and you can carve your name in steel.You will twist the flex shaft in half before you stop the motor,so get an extra shaft .The mastercarver champion carving set is only $399.95,the retail value separately is around $650.00.If you want a different handpiece than the ones they offer with the set,just tell Tim and he will swap them out for the type you want. www.woodcarverssupply.com
Tim and Debbie are great to deal with,too.I think they still use some of my old carvings for adds in their catalog.
I have maybe twenty different flex shafts and micromotors,from dental units with no power ,to a 1/4HP hand held WoodHog (Think Dremmel in steroids - it is almost scary to use).Some of my units cost over $1000.Nothing is better that this unit for all around work.
Stacy

Just checked their site,The Mastercarver Pro is selling for $279.95 right now!!! It has the reciprocal handpiece as one of the three ,but Tim would swap it out for you I bet.
The simpler set has two handpieces and is $250.00.

It's good to have someone here who can give that endorsement, Stacy! I've bought a bunch of carving stuff from them but nothing motorized. Good people to deal with, I agree.
Thanks. Can't argue with firsthand experience!:)

Thanks Stacy, that is right up my alley. But reading that brought something else to mind I hadn't though about - the foot pedal. I'm going to have to have a dial control, foot control just won't work for me. I'll have to look around to find something that will work.

Fitz, to double quote something I just open a second window on the thread, quote whatever, and copy it into my original window. ;) he he!

Thanks, Dave. I wondered if there was a magic button or something. :D

Dave, I'd still call them and ask if you could get a unit configured the way you desire. On a lot of Foredoms, at least, foot and ddesktop variable controls are interchangeable.

I noticed their chuck-handpiece accepts all the way up to 14", too!

Good luck wit' yer decision!:)

I have the gesswein and it is awesome. I would like a unit with more a little more torque for 'hogging' but for finesse, the gesswein works nicely...

Dave,If you want dial control,no problem.They make the same unit with dial control.It is cheaper,too.Check their website.You can use dial control and a foot pedal.
Derkin - it is not noisy at all.Sounds the same as a Fordom.

Well Stacy the Master Carver is looking better all the time. At $280 I could almost talk myself into springing for it before I've saved up the money - it's not that much more that I had first intended to spend.

But then there's always the HF unit. I'm going to hit the local HF store to see if they have one I can look at before I do anything.

Thanks for all you help gents, and keep it coming whenever you get new ideas! :D

Back