Your opinion please (knife design)

Hi everybody !

I make a tanto, inspiration knife but I have difficulty to choose how I will
finish it... My blade is finished, it remains to decided if I add a false edge
on the spine and if I make a simple or double guard... I will use blackwood
or micarta for the handle...

The next time, I will make two of them, I will not have to torture myself to decide how to finish it...

False edge or not ? Simple or double guard ? Which are your advise
and your tatses? (I like much both, it is that the problem, I cannot choose...)

Thank you!

Alain M-D

tanto_choix.jpg

Hi Alain,

Of course, how would I know but if I were to be so ambitiuos I would look at the traditional design and do the best I could according to that. I would search the net for pictures and anything else that helped me keep to a traditional look in the old style. But, hey, that's just my taste in classic traditionals that deserve replication.

rlinger

Alain, I think the bottom one looks more traditional somehow and so favor it. I like the idea of making the old new, have tried it myself with less success than your drawings! I'm looking forward to seeing whichever you decide on.

Dave

It all depends on how good of a knifemaker you are. I mean that in no way disrespectful either. I have messed up more blades than I can count by trying to put on a nice, even swedge/false edge. If your blade is done, finish the knife. Unless you are good enough to actually put on the top edge without messing it up(I'm not yet).

ive got the opposite opinion. i like the second blade (no false edge) on the first handle (single sided guard)

i feel it is the most traditional.

I like the second blade (without the false edge) on the first handle (single sided guard)

WS

I kinda like the false edged blade with the double guard and the more traditional looking blade with a single guard.

Wow !
Thanks all !
It is what I feared, the opinions are divided... It is a hard dilemma for me...

Bruce Bump: I like them both too. Why not offer the knife in both patterns?

Probably in the future... That takes so much time to me to do make only one....
I cannot spend a lot of time (and money) in knifemaking for the moment, then I try make the good choices...

rlinger: I would look at the traditional design and do the best I could according to that

I do not want necessarily a traditional look (not this time, but surely a next time...) I want to be inspired by the tanto, but with a more American look...

Danbo: It all depends on how good of a knifemaker you are Unless you are good enough to actually put on the top edge without messing it up

You put the finger on my problem. In fact, I am not certain to want to take the risk to messing it... (I am still a beginner) But I thought to practising me on scrap steel before...

SPryor Knives: Alain; what program do you use for your drawings? Very nice.

I use Adobe Illustrator to draw all my knives. Contrary to Photoshop which works in pixel, Illustrator work in vectors, it is thus much simple to make modifications thereafter (I use Photoshop for other usage, but I mutch like Illustrator for drawing)

I can draw a knife model and then in some seconds, make 20 or 25 other models with small variation or modifications (lengthen the handle or the blade, modify the shape of the blade, change the place of pins, modify the bolster, etc) Then, it only remains to choose the best one... (The hard part...)

I can also easily take a knife pieces and place it on another knife very easily (take a handle which I have make and place it on another blade)

Alain M-D
alainmd@videotron.ca

Back