Your Opinions on the SOG Paratool?

I've recently begun using my Gerber multi-tool quite a bit lately. I've had it for probably 8 years. I'm unsure of the model, but the tools do not lock.

I'm looking to purchase a new, preferably affordable multi-tool. I like the looks of the paratool. From the pictures I've seen, the phillips screw driver appears longer and the angled pliers seem handy. Do the tools on this model lock? I also like the black oxide finish.

Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Clay

Unfortunately none of the tools on the Paratool lock. I like the Paratool but it does have its quirks. I prefer to pocket carry a multi-tool of its size but it's not comfortable to carry in a pocket since the lanyard attachment sticks out. If you carry it in it's sheath, it isn't a problem. On the earliest versions of the Paratool, the lanyard attachment is actually removable but on later versions of the Paratool it is riveted on. The ability to use the pliers at multiple angles is a neat idea but I rarely take advantage of that feature. Overall, I prefer SOG's multi-tools with compound leverage pliers. If you want a SOG with locking tools, I highly recommend the PowerLock 2.0:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505065&highlight=Powerlock+2.0

Gotta chip in by saying that the SOG Paratool is comparable to the Leatherman Original PST in some ways. But guess what? The Leatherman turns out to be lighter, easier to access, and don't have a nasty habit of having its plierhead flip downwards at the worst possible time. Though if there is one thing to say positively about the SOG Paratool is that it has a much better finish; and better yet, a nut and bolting system that allows me to tighten up every single loose play with out much fuss! I give it a 3 girly snaps outta five. And maybe a half pinky for being almost rust resistant if it were not for its not too rust resistant bolts.

Back