Your opinions on these cds that I've never heard

silenthunterstudios said:
Eric Clapton Riding with the King
Led Zeppelin Remasters
I own these off your list.

Being a huge Eric Clapton fan, this album is outstanding. Wonderful song recorded excellently. A number of Clapton's other albums are also ones I can recommend. "One More Car One Rider" is in my opinion his best in concert DVD. "Unplugged" is also not bad.

Led Zeppelin is among one of the best classic rock bands. Their remasters have been redone wonderfully and worth adding to your collection.

If you wanted input into opera, classical, broadway musicals, jazz, pop, christmas-oriented music, and others, I have over 1,000 CDs on which I can comment. Most hard rock (some classic rock is OK) and country (some modern country is OK...the non-twangy type) are not on my list.

Layla is one of my all time favorite songs, especially the second half instrumental. I particularly enjoyed his cover of Robert Johnson's album, I think I will definitely get his duet with BB King. I do enjoy classical, jazz and Xmas music (especially Johnny Mathis, I know I know, I like the ladies, so save your jokes). I hate modern country, absolutely hate it.

Riding with the King, and Me and Mr. Johnson are both excellent. Clapton's Unplugged also has a couple old blues tunes on it.

Howlin' Wolf-I've got one of his discs (His Best) and you'll love it. Look for some Jimmy Reed as well.

From your list, you might also be interested in Dropkick Murphys. Think of them as The Clash meets The Chieftains.

there's a Portugese fado singer named Misia who really good. Love that Spanish guitar.

Frank

edit- there a Nick Cave album called Kicking Against the Pr!cks that's all covers of old songs. You should check out his version of Black Betty.

Don't laugh, but I became interested in Mariachi music after watching the movie Desperado. I've listened to it on the local public radio stations, but couldn't grasp much of what they were singing.

Mariachi,

I can help with some translation if you want.

Luis

----------------------------
Quise hallar el olvido
al "estilo Jalisco"
pero aquellos mariachis
y aquel tequila
me hicieron llorar...

Los mariachis callaron...
de mi mano, sin fuerza,
cayó mi copa
sin darme cuenta...
ella quizo quedarse
cuando vió mi tristeza.
pero ya estaba escrito
que aquella noche
perdiera su amor.

----------------------------
I wanted to forget
"Jalisco style"
but those mariachis
and that tequila made me cry...

The mariachis got quiet...
from my hand without strength,
my glass fell without me noticing...
she wanted to stay
when she saw my sadness.
but it already was written
that that night
I would loose her love.

silenthunterstudios said:
any Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
any Cake

Bela Fleck - make sure to buy his pre-"outbound" stuff. That's kind of where he did a major shift from very tight, groovy eclectic instrumental jazz to a new-agey sound with singing. 3 flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Tales From the Acoustic Planet, UFO Tofu and Flight of the Cosmic Hippo are all excellent.

Cake - Fashion Nugget and Prolonging the Magic are both excellent albums. A very sparse, lean rock sound with tales about heartache and break-up. Their big pop success was their cover of Gloria Gaynor's "I will survive" on Fashion Nugget, but the rest of the album is as good, if not better. If you've just broken up with a girl, these are great albums. Think of it as a modern central-california version of delta blues songwriting.

If you like delta blues, you might like Robert Randolph - sort of pentacostal jam blues with lots of pedal steel guitar. If you have bandwidth, download some great shows at archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Robert%20Randolph%20%5Band%20the%20Family%20Band%5D

It's worth your time to figure out how to download, decompress and burn cds from Shorten (*.SHN) files - you wind up with bit-for-bit copies of the original master cd. Archive.org has a lot of amazing music, including a few thousand Grateful Dead concerts - mostly soundboard recordings.

Enjoy.

My passion (other than books and knives) is European metal, bands like My Dying Bride, Opeth, Blind Guardian, etc. But I've also got a deep love for Celtic and Bluegrass.

For Celtic, check out Candestine and Wylde Nept. My favorite bluegrass band is by far Acoustic Syndicate (saw them at Green Acres before they closed the place down).

The Zep remasters are amazing, but still nothing compared to vinyl :D.

Any 3 Doors Down...GREAT!
Any Creed...GREAT!

Also try their new incarnations as Alter Bridge with a new lead singer, it's GREAT also.

Check out Lightnin' Hopkins acoustic blues from the 40s. It is some of the best of early Texas roadhouse style blues. He was a major influence on the later electric sounds of people like Albert King, Johnny Winter, SRV and Billy Gibbons. You will hear licks from him in some suprising places, including Pearl Jam.

Back