Your Perfect Sword?

I've seen a
lot of swords made by various craftsmen. But these are
usully replicas of ancient weapons made with pretty traditional
metal alloys instead of much more modern alloys.

A question that always hung around in my
mind is this: What if we tried to make 'the perfect sword' using
all of modern technology?

Would it be a titanium alloy with an ultra hard
thin layer in the center of the blade so it would be self
sharpening? It could be thicker, and so almost impossible
to break. Would people make it longer, or would that long
a moment arm make it too unwieldy?

Has anyone made a store of these modern blades
which will pop out if civilization collapses?

Anyone have any thoughts on what a
present day ultimate sword might be?

Ti is a really bad choice. A modern carbon steel like 5160, 1050, 1080, 1084, L6 , 52100 would be the best choices. For longer blades carbon steels are still the best.

Bill Siegle recently made these for me out of 5160. They are perfect for home defense, or camp field craft.

attachment.php

n2s

I suppose swords could be made out of the most “modern” materials. The questions is would these newer materials offer any real performance increase over the “traditional” and at what cost? Given the task of a sword I’m not sure that you could do significantly better that 5160 carbon steel for the blade. Micarta or G10 might be a better handle material than wood. One point to keep in mind – the old guys had perhaps three thousand years to perfect sword designs prior to swords becoming obsolete. These designs seemed to work perfectly for their intended purpose – killing men. A good replica of a Roman Gladius or Medieval sword should work just fine for such. Not sure about an end of the world scenario – lack of a sword would seem to be the last of your problems. Perhaps a more valid scenario where a sword is valuable for self-defense is being in a local that prohibits more effective means such as guns. For excellent fully funnctional replicas take a look here - http://www.albionarmorers.com/

5160.., and Jody Samson...., a tough combination to beat!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Out of curiosity does Jody do work that is fantasy oriented?

Anything is only good when considered in its context - Gladius, great for close quarters combat when combined with a shield - but pretty useless against a guy with a rapier.

So I'd consider your question in the context of <u>now</u>. A sword is for defense against human beings, and killing human beings. So the first criteria would have to be concealability - it isn't legal anywhere in the western world to walk around with a sword hanging from your waist.

So it is going to have to be a sword cane (yeah, I know they aren't legal). I have an athritic hip, so I have an reason for carrying around a walking stick. stainless just doesn't hold an edge like good carbon, so it would have to be carbon.

A 'modern' assailant is not likely to be armed with another sword - more likely a gun, knife, bottle or lump of something heavy. So you are going to have to be prepared to combat a heavy, solid object, or need to move quickly. Therefore your sword will need to be both stiff and light. You will likely want to try to disable your attacker - which means deep muscle cuts. So the sword will need a good edge. If the attacker is armed with a knife, you will want to use your length advantage - so attacking with the point would be good.

So the perfect sword will need a slim, stiff blade, with a sharp edge - probably single-edged - and a point suitable for thrusting. A good edge will slash through the heaviest leather coat - and a needle point will probably penetrate anti-stab vests ('though I'm guessing here).

(comments, anyone)

maybe a slim, 24" single-edged blade suitable for a one-handed hold. it must be slim and balanced to fight epee-style and yet sharp and maneuverable for kali moves (24" is already pushing it for kali).

Originally posted by Alidisaster

So the perfect sword will need a slim, stiff blade, with a sharp edge - probably single-edged - and a point suitable for thrusting. A good edge will slash through the heaviest leather coat - and a needle point will probably penetrate anti-stab vests ('though I'm guessing here).

(comments, anyone)

Basically you are describing the smallsword, pretty much the final evolution of the sword before it became obsolete completly. Teh small sword was more a fashion accessory to a lot of owners but was quite deadly.

C

A lot of smallswords didn't have a serious cutting edge - they were thrusting weapons almost exclusively.

Thrusting isn't good for instant disablements - so you need the sword to cut well. Not a chopper - a slicer. That is why I think it would end up being single-edged; to get a decent edge <i>and</i> to be stiff enough <i>and</i> be slim enough to conceal inside a cane.

I think that this would mean a sabre grind, with the 'blunt' edge thinner than the centre of the blade. Maybe then a laminate, or fillet blade, with an edge made of very hard steel - like the Frost knives. I know this wouldn't result in good edge durability - but a sword for 'modern' usage isn't going to get used very often.

Come to think of it, a pepper spray in the handle would be a useful addition - aligned with the blade. Not sporting, but fun . . .

in today's world, you have to consider the fact that many inanimate objects possess deadly magic that can vanquish the most hale warrior (i'm talking about high voltage wires). make sure the handle/guard fully insulates the hand from the blade. and make sure the handle is impervious to most chemicals.

Hi Guys,

Fleadh isn't far off. Most Smallswords are minimally edged. This type of weapon sounds like the spadroon which was a cutting sword designed to be light enough to fight a smallsword on a reasonably even footing.
Cheers,
Stu.

Yea Thanks stu...

I did use the word basically :D

This spod-a-wotsit.. never heard of one.. Time for research methinks I want one of these now...Ta again

C

Ah yes, Its basically a small sword with a wider blade... cool..Means it can cut as well as thrust. Id imagine the smallsword to be more suitable to teh gentery and this more a military version or something like that..

015.jpg

Learn somethin every day :)

C

Originally posted by Alidisaster

(comments, anyone)

Aside from the fact that they are not slim, a good bolo or barong will fit these requirements. They are light and pretty easy to use and don't cost that much.

Originally posted by Triton
Out of curiosity does Jody do work that is fantasy oriented?

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Jody Sampson do all of the steel for the Conan the Barbarian movie?

Cool stuff, especially his Dad's sword.

AU contraire! any and all nerve motor points are great thrust targets that will disable a limb or worse. A good stab or whack to the long bones across the top of the hand or foot, radial nerve in forearms, and (my fave) the front of the shoulder muscle will all disable effectively if done right. even a pencil or thumb jammed into these locations will dasable if done correctly.

BTW, I'm more a fan of the slash and cut, but strategic thrusts are still part of the skillset.

Also, sword cane could be a pain, and is illegal for carry, but the cane part isnt. There are numberous canes that can be employed effectively in defence, just add a pointy metal ferrule to the end, cover with rubber cap until needed (if you;re worried the bare sharpened point willl draw attention). THen what you have in effect is a club with the option of a spear like thrust.

Swords are for swordplay and display these days. THey are really not the top option for modern carry, too specialized.

Sword canes, I class with knife/gun or sword/gun combos from history--They really don't function well in either of their capacities. A commercial Sword-cane is not a very good or stout cane, since it has to be hollow to house the blade. The blade is often to slim or weak to function reliably. This is not to say that there are not custom makers of such sword canes that might be able to make a really mean one...

Long ramblinng post. Sorry.

Keith

The question being "what is YOUR perfect sword?" that would leave it to the individual. I enjoy the traditional Japanese design. Authentic Japanese swords are hard to care for. So the ideal blade for me would be Japanese style with modern materials and ease of care. I have to say that Rob Criswell makes a wonderful sowrd. I have had my little 16" Waki now for about 3 years and have beat it from here to Hell and back and it's shape is true and it keeps a razors edge. You don't see much from Criswell as far as a diverse range of blades being made. I think it's cause he found the one he does best and cranks them out as much as possible. I just picked up one of his katanas and I must say I'm in love. It has absolute balance and doesn't even hint towards an impression of being just a copy of an old design. I really belive that if a Samurai got his hands on one of these he'd apreciate every twist and turn of the design and use of materials. I wished Rob was available to do alterations to his work cause I would like a larger guard on mine but all things considered it is one of the finest blades I have ever owned. And I have owned everything from the $50.00 crap jobs to the $10,000.00 Shintos and Gendaitos. Something about holding an ancient weapon gives you an interesting feel as though you were conected to those days long since past. But the Criswell makes you wanna go out an make some history of your own. I love them. And I intend to buy every size he makes. If you like Japanese swords go here: http://www.swordsandknives.homestead.com/index.html These guys are Robs main distributor and usually have all his pieces in stock. That's where I got mine. They rock!

My perfect sword, for home defence for instance, is single edged, so the back can be supported by my free hand or be used to strike or parry. A blade of 18-20" and a handle of 6-8".Give or take a few inches on the blade or handle and have a total length from 20"minimum to an optimal of 28-30".I prefer a convex grind.Basically the shape would be a straight wakizashi.The point would get a slight drop to make stabbing a little easier.
The handle would be epoxy-impregnated cordwrap for an optimal grip and insulation.
This is what I've got on my drawing table and I'm gonna make in the near future. I chose 1/4" A2 steel to make it from and will have a professional heat treat it to 58HRC .
I'm a hobby-knifemaker and just discovered this forum and was pleased to find similar waki's here and on the links.

Jan:)

PS:
( A low budget waki can be made out of an old military blade:You can often find these of reasonable to good quality, take off the handle , regrind the part where you want the handle, and wrap it with cord and impregnate with epoxy or polyester resin. )

Back