Your preferred choice for leather conditioners...

Sufler

Gold Member
What has been your preferred choice for conditioning your stacked leather handle RMKs from drying? Do you use the same product for your leather sheaths?

Thanks!
:thumbup:

I've seen a post by Greg Gutcher where he recommends Chelsea Leather Food or Picards for the sheaths.

I don't remember which forum I copied and pasted it from or if it applies to leather grips too though.

I've seen a post by Greg Gutcher where he recommends Chelsea Leather Food or Picards for the sheaths.

I don't remember which forum I copied and pasted it from or if it applies to leather grips too though.

Chelsea "Nourishes and Protects all fine leatherware" - I don't see why it couldn't be used on the stacked leather handles. I'm partial to Nor-V-Gen and have primarily used it on my thick leather belts.

Also, in the RMK manual for care of your Randall it states to use a light leather liquid as to not soften the sheaths... reviews of the Chelsea seem to underline how it does a great job in softening leather (albeit, leather uppers on shoes).

Thanks for the reply.

Whether right or wrong, I have always used one product everywhere--on blades, hilts, handles, and sheaths: Renaissance wax. I think it works very well on stacked leather handles.
I have heard (on other forums) that some other Randall owners do the same.
-Steve

(edit) I should add that I wipe off any mineral oil remaining on stag and ivory handles BEFORE I apply Ren Wax.

Last edited:
If you need protection for the leather because you actually use your knife then use Obenaufs. If you want a wall hanger than Ren Wax is fine.

If you need protection for the leather because you actually use your knife then use Obenaufs. If you want a wall hanger than Ren Wax is fine.

I tend to agree. I only have a couple leather handle Randalls and since they are good and tight and don't get used I put Ren Wax on them.
Back in the early 90s I bought a Harley Davidson and about the same time started doing old west reenacting with my dad. I had purchased some Harley Davidson Leather Care for my boots, jacket, saddle bags, etc, and found it worked beautifully on my old west boots, spur straps, holsters and gun belts. It restores dry leather, makes it supple and keeps it going really well. I have used it on slings, gloves and just about any smooth leather I have and use on a regular basis.
A friend brought over a USMC Ka Bar copy for me to put a decent edge on and was complaining about how loose the handle had gotten. I put the leather care on the washers and they slurped it up and expanded back to where they were good and tight.
My dad, who grew up with horses, harnesses, and boots tried it and loved it.
So if you happen to find yourself in a HD shop check it out. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Prolly wrong but I use mink oil on all my leather. Have items passed down to my grandfather then to me and that's all that has ever been on them.

I’ve had trouble with mink oil causing verdigris on the snaps. It’s all my dad used and all his brass hardware turned green.

I have something I use when I feel it is needed. I’ve had good results. Over a ten year period, but use it at your own risk. Bag Balm.

Hope the OP found what he wanted it’s been 7 years.

I have always used skidmoore's for all my leather needs, I recently tried obenhauf's heavy duty LP stuff and it developed a nasty stink... Communist or nazi blood also works well

Back