Your preferred cutting targets?

Up until now, I've only really used water filled bottles and free hanging sheets of paper for cutting practice. I'd really like to start using targets which offer a realistic amount of resistance, but also don't break the bank. I've used various fruits when they're on sale at the end of a season, like pumpkins and watermelons, but those aren't available cheaply year-round. Also, they don't really simulate cylindrical targets well.

What do you like to use, and why?

Grow your own pumpkins and you'll be swimming in cutting targets!

Old paper towel tubes are good. However, with all the zombie apocalypse crap out there it would seem that maybe we all should wait a while and use the upcoming influx of mobile corpses as knife tests.:D:D:D

SEMPER-FI TI I DIE

It has been a few years since I have been cutting much at all but there are a few ready options that are free, or lower cost than the high price tatami.

carnage.jpg

Mixed in that pile of swarf are cardboard tubes. In that case very heavy wall but watch retail dumpsters for free material. Tall cartons in general. Something I used to cut a lot is just empty cracker and cereal boxes for those trick shots. Cardboard will scratch blades and tubes like above may have a significant amount of sandy stuff in it. The tubes above from rolls of pallet wrap and near a half in thick (which can be pretty brutal on light blades).

Pool noodles. They try to run away and require some technique at times but can be found in and out of season at a buck a whack. Beach mats. They can be doubled and tripled, then soaked just like other straw and reed mats. bamboo and softer canes grow almost wild in many parts of the country. Here in the NE, I have a border decorative cane that while softer than bamboo, can be bundled. Cheap plastic and rubber hose (without wire re-enforcement) can be cut to lenght and bundled. A very fun bundle or few were bundles spinning from a hanging line.

Rolled and soaked newspaper. Watch for staples in magazines. ABS pipe tubing. some parts of the country will have this softer black plastic, as opposed to harder pvc. FWIW, a friend used to sheath his mat cutting stand pegs with pvc and we invariably would cut some pvc at one point or another during the day.

There had been some stuff out there labeled "sword fodder" that was some form of packing material but I don't really know if that ever really caught on. They were the buzz a few years ago.

The most extreme and I still have it in a corner here somewhere is a pull on wellington leather boot stuffed with a 2-litre soda bottle filled with .50 caliber lead shot. A great stand up for poking and ultimate smacking but smears lead on the blade. I had though first put it together as a thrusting target.

Old rugs and clothing. again, soak as needed (or not)

On and on

Cheers

GC

Last edited:
I've got two frozen turkeys, they are pretty old. I was going to thaw them out, hang them with string, and test a few tomahawks on them. I bet they would be good sword fodder, then they become dog food, yummy!

I've heard rolls of newspaper are good, but I haven't had the time to try it out.

The long cardboard boxes I got that swords are shipped in are usually diced up pretty good for a few test cuts.

Horseclover just about hit it all. There's corn stalks (seasonal), tires, and bookoo stuff at goodwill.

Turkeys and tomahawks. That just goes together nicely.

all the above plus...

2 by 4 lumber...

trees...

ROADKILLED DEER (keep mouth closed when cutting these)

If you are near a major waterway you might find ship rope, my fav is 4" nylon

not for delicate blades...

Back