Your recommendation for metal band saw

Given a economical budget, which metal band saw manufacturer has the best equipment. Under $500? Which is the easiest of use?
------------------
Lead,follow, or get the hell out of the way!

[This message has been edited by TANGUS (edited 02-22-2000).]

Enco, Grizzly, etc, etc. There is an almost generic, made somewhere in the far east, metal-cutting bandsaw that costs in the $200-250 range. It uses a 63-1/2" blade, and while made as a cutoff saw, is likely used by more knifemakers than all others. Used with a good bimetal blade it will give good service and do your job well. I use mine for everything I need to cut, and it has worked fine for about 10 years. My first one lasted about that long, but died when I started playing with the gear box. My fault.
frown.gif

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

TANGUS,

I did some comparison shopping of the cheapie models recently. The Harbor Freight horizontal/vertical seemed like the best deal. It did appear identical to the Grizzly and I believe one other (I cannot remember the brand). It had a higher HP rating, but that may be suspect. The price was lower as well. I believe it is about $170. The URL is www.harborfreight.com.

------------------
Pretty nearly all minds are now convinced that prisons, that receptacle provided for malefactors by the State, (are) schools for the education of men in crime. Let us grant ... so in any eminent degree; yet let us ask whether the State itself, as at present constituted, is not one large school for crime? Its foundation is force, its argument is force, its practice is force. No diviner principle does it recognize. It will obtain all the power, all the wealth, all the territory, commerce and control it possibly can. It does nothing by love, by moral suasion, by unbought attraction. -Charles Lane

Yup Those enco central tool cut off saws are the hot items. Just buy good blades from an industrial supplier..
Look in the archive and get the suppliers list . There are a few saw blade suppliers there./

Good Luck

cool.gif

I should be receiving my Harbor Freight Metal Band Saw in a few days. Most if not all of the machines Harbor Freight sells as Central Machinery are identical (except for maybe the type of switch and the label)to the machines that Grizzly sells. I have checked into this extensively,and even made phone calls, and they all are made by the same Japan/Taiwan companies.

The Bandsaw that Grizzly has on their site sells for $179 plus $42 shipping. The same machine from Harbor Freight cost me $139 including shipping. That is a $82 difference, and in my book, that pays for a lot a supplies or gas for your car for a couple of weeks.

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

You guys are great! I even get responses from the "BIGGS". Really appreciate that info. I'll be looking into the Harbor Freight. Thanks to all.

------------------

Jailhack:

Forgot to mention in the one above---why don't you post a small review on your bandsaw when you get it and try it on? Myself and others would like to know how you rate it.

------------------

Tangus,

Good idea, I will put up a review as soon as possible.

------------------

Hi All:

I got my HarborFreight band saw delivered today. Will set it up Thursday night and will let you all know how it works.

Marcel

------------------

pawnbroker,

So what's the story on the Grizzly bandsaw?
smile.gif

Does anyone have any idea how the $149 model compares to the more expensive model? It seems like the next jump up in quality is the $500 3/4 HP model; is there any reason to make that investment?

------------------
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:23

Ryan:

I checked all the specs and asked all the right questions and decided that at $140 delivered the Harbor Freight saw was a bargain. I just unpacked mine and looks very well made. I will get a chance to test it this weekend and will report on it's effeciency at that time.

Marcel

------------------

Mr. Ralph is "so very right" concerning the blades. It is kind of funny, the Harbor Freight and Grizzly are very, very similar but don't scrimp on the blades. Only bi-metal, and I whole-heartedly recommend Lennox. I though Cru-wear was tough until I got a hold of 440V! Strange, but it only knocks three or four teeth off in a section, this really gets your attention! I am now using 18-20 tpi and may go to a finer tooth yet. As stated, get a good saw blade.

C Wilkins

Well, I got my Harbor Freight saw up and running, and it works just fine.

It is quiet, with no blade wobble, has 3 speeds, cuts straight as an arrow in the horizontal position, and in the vertical position with the table adapter, it does in a few minutes what it would take 15 minutes using a hacksaw.

Overall, I would say it is well worth the $140 delivered price.

I ordered some bi-metal blades from Enco, and I think they will make it even better.

So far, I am very satisfied.

------------------

Back