Your reviews on these books

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
I haven't read any of these books, I don't care what condition I get them in, any opinions of these books? Thanks

any books by William Gibson
Living Well on Practically Nothing
any books by Harry Turtledove from his alternate universe series
Falling Angel by William Hjortensburg
Mothernight by Kurt Vonnegut
Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare
A Walk in the Woods, Lost Continent by Bill Bryson
Devils Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce
Lost Hall of Records by John Van Auken
Secrets of the Viking Navigators by Leif Karlsen
Robert the Bruce Trilogy
Bubba HoTep by Joe Landsdale
Crow Killer

I'm also looking for some good history books on the Irish, Polish, Scottish, Blackfeet Indians, Crow indians and Cherokee indians, also any good mythology books on those heritages

any books by William Gibson - Never read any
Living Well on Practically Nothing - Haven't read it
any books by Harry Turtledove from his alternate universe series - I have read his "WWII, In the Balance Series" with its sequels, "Contact" and now the latest, Homeward Bound, and they are simply superb. Turtledove is THE master of alternate history stories. His first four Videssos Cycle books are also great, but the ones that follow tend to bog down a bit. I LOVED his Guns of the South, I mean, how could I pass up a book with a picture of Robert E. Lee holding an AK-47 on the cover? I also liked his How Few Remain which is another take on "If the South had won the War" but I have not gotten into all of the sequels which are now up to WWII, I believe. He wrote a book called The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump that is both hilariously funny and a great alternate world mystery. I guess that the only Turtledove that I have read that I have not liked is a juvenile that he wrote called Gunpowder Empire. Do, however, read In the Presence of Mine Enemies, Ruled Britannia, and Household Gods, the last co-written with Judith Tarr, it is just great and gives a wonderfully accurate portrayal of the Roman Empire at its prime, warts and all.

Falling Angel by William Hjortensburg - haven't read
Mothernight by Kurt Vonnegut - Haven't read this. but liked his Cats Cradle

Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare - I and my son both thought that this book was well worth the price as it made clear all of the backstory details of the weaponry and equipmant in the books and the films. Great pictures.

A Walk in the Woods, Lost Continent by Bill Bryson - Haven't read
Devils Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce - Devilishly funny, could have been written by Mark Twain or H.L. Mencken.

Lost Hall of Records by John Van Auken - Haven't read
Secrets of the Viking Navigators by Leif Karlsen - Haven't read
Robert the Bruce Trilogy - Although I haven't read this specific Tranter work, I have it and I have read a number of his other works and found them to be very good if a bit on the long side.

Bubba HoTep by Joe Landsdale - Haven't read
Crow Killer - Haven't read

"Living Well on Practically Nothing"

I wonder what the author did with all the money he made from it?
:D

Then I wouldn't buy that book. Apparently, his ideas don't work.

Of the list, I can only comment on Gibson, one of my all-time faves. His original "cyberpunk" trilogy, (Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive) were really great stuff. Subsequent efforts like Virtual Light and All Tomorrow's Parties are great too. (All Tommorrow's Parties has a recurring knife theme)

Didn't care much for the newest one, Pattern Recognition. Read by itself, it's fine, but I think he borrowed too much from previous plot elements.

Back