Your thoughts on Gun Kote

Ivan Campos

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So, has anyone tried this or other similar products on blades? I´d like to hear how difficult it is to aaply and how tough it is when the knife is used.

I have applied it to one blade, but I have not tested its durablility yet. As far as application process, it is very easy. Use like spray paint and cook at 300 for an hour. Frank

I've used it on multiple knives and guns....

Bead blast the surface first, degrease, and then heat the part to about 120 to 150F.

The GunKote can be had in spray can form....but I use the thin solution in an airbrush. When the GunKote hits the hot surface it dries immediately.

Let the part air dry for about 1/2 hr then put it in an oven at 300-325F for 45 min.

Very durable...looks great, and comes in alot of colors.

My concealed carry pistol is a .45 Commander in matte stainless GunKote.

comm.jpg

Thank you, buddies.
Can you tell me to what degree of finish you take the blade before the GK Aplication?

The thing that has kept me from experimenting with it is the necessity to beadblast the steel first. Tough when I don't have a blasting cabinet!

Chiro75 said:
The thing that has kept me from experimenting with it is the necessity to beadblast the steel first. Tough when I don't have a blasting cabinet!
You could also parkerize first or try the Gun Kote K-Phos pretreatment.

I am hoping to try and finish off a couple of blades this weekend with some matte black Gun Kote :cool: . I am set up for parkerizing so I will be doing that first. Will let the board know how it turns out.

I tested it on a blade that I used as a test blade, bend, hammer, treat with GunKote, dig through gravel, scrape with scribe, ect. The GunKote will scrape off, but it takes some doing to do it. That said any coating, including titinium nitride can be scratched and scraped off, and GunKote does pretty good.

Nats, are you saying that the K-phos would substitute the need for sandblasting and other pre-coating treatments?

Phosphate coating really needs to have the surface sandblasted before application.

It is almost imperative to at least bead blast, if not sandblast any metal before applying Gunkote if you want to have any durability at all.

Phosphate or parkerizing makes a good undercoat for Gunkote in the event that the Gunlote become scratched....there will still be protection underneath.....this process was done to the pistol in the above pic.

Thank you for the information. One more question only before I get myself to order some of it: how many knives of a given size, say a 10" long overall, 1 1/2" wide blade, can I coat with a quart?

If you apply with an airbrush....a whole bunch of blades can be done.....I dont really know a number...but a quart will last a long time. If you are using black....the liquid looks like very thin black paint...almost water like. But as soon as it hits the heated metal it covers very well. Make very light passes with the spray....it doesnt have to be thick at all....in fact...thinner is better.

Back