Your wood pile

I admit I do not have a log pile, just a 35 gallon, plastic garbage can and two large plastic tuff boxes with logs in them. Just enough in case we lose power, the longest we have in the last 28 years was 4 1/2 days. I keep the logs in plastic containers as the Winters here in Western Washington are wet. My friends in Finland have circular log piles, most have several of them, and the ones I have seen the wood is birch. Along with a combination soap stone or brick fireplace/oven stove, they are well prepared if power goes out. Once those stoves heat up, even if the fire goes out they radiate heat for hours. John

This is from a couple years ago.

Splitting%20wood2.jpg.JPG

There was some beautiful plum in that pile to be split. I saved a few pieces and shared some with a fellow wood worker.

Splitting%20wood1.jpg.JPG

The stuff under the tarp is stacked on pallets. The pallets are set up on bricks so they don't contact the ground and rot. I like my wood covered from the NW rain but open to the air so it doesn't mold or rot.

That round on the stump has some
nasty knots in it.

I wasn't splitting that. Sometimes I'll stack splitting blocks to reach a desired height. Small stuff is sometimes split with a hatchet or house axe. A higher splitting block makes that work more convenient. And sometimes it's nice to have a high block if you're splitting with a wedge and a single jack. I like a lower block if I'm using a double jack.

Some wood just likes the wedge better than even a heavy axe or maul. And with a single jack you can chase the wedge through the round where a double jack won't go. I've never found a round that couldn't be split with 3 good wedges. Of course splitting a long trunk may require more.

You can when someone stacks wood and when someone burns wood.

I live up north now and had some people from illinois telling me there were stacking wood this weekend. He asked me how I know what wood is what so it does not go bad.

I told him i can tell he doesnt burn for heat. You dont need to keep track. You need to keep up.

Spent 3 hours cutting on 10 footers yeasterday. The piles love to try to fall on you. Lol happy cutting and chopping.

Some wood just likes the wedge better than even a heavy axe or maul. And with a single jack you can chase the wedge through the round where a double jack won't go. I've never found a round that couldn't be split with 3 good wedges. Of course splitting a long trunk may require more.
I only have one wedge. I've been using wooden wedges. DM

Pellet stoves are nice and easy & heat the house. But if the power is lost during a storm, your dead in the water. DM
One word..........> Generator. Problem is my wife wont let me get one:oops:. you see in the 30 years we've lived in this house we have never lost power for more than 10 hours so she thinks it's a waste of $ and seeing that I can grab my company's generator 2 miles down the road I have to agree with her. Happy Wife, Happy Life.;):thumbsup:

This is from a couple years ago.

Splitting%20wood2.jpg.JPG

There was some beautiful plum in that pile to be split. I saved a few pieces and shared some with a fellow wood worker.

Splitting%20wood1.jpg.JPG

The stuff under the tarp is stacked on pallets. The pallets are set up on bricks so they don't contact the ground and rot. I like my wood covered from the NW rain but open to the air so it doesn't mold or rot.
I know an electric Guitar maker/woodworker who would kill to get his hands on some wood like that.

In 2011 it got -15 here with some snow and the mercury stayed there for 3 days. No one in miles had electric power. It wasn't an ice storm that brought it down it was merely a power serge and the grid could not take it. So, major breakers were tripped and the power went off. We had a wood burning stove and
many others had pellet stoves. Thus, they had no heat. People would show up at our house to get warm. One can cook and make coffee on a wood burning stove. So, we fed them a hot meal, they got warm and went back home... The next year we could hear a lot more chain-saws running. DM

When we lost power for 4 1/2 days the very first morning we get up and no power. My wife was not a Happy Camper with no coffee, luckily I still had some heat tabs and GI coffee down in my ALICE Large Ruck, which I pulled out and made coffee in my canteen cup, as I had for many years in the field. Saved my life that morning! With our fireplace and then a gas BBQ grill we got thru those 4 1/2 days pretty well. At night we could watch "Ranger TV" ie the fire. We still have the fireplace and I bought a two burner Coleman camping stove, on tall legs that if we lose power again for any length of time, we can use to cook on, just outside the back door, which has a canopy over it. The good thing was we never lost water, enough in the large holding tanks of our water company, and gravity feed, so using the toilet was not a problem, as was washing dishes or hands. Hate to think of being in a large apartment building that lost water for 4 days! John

This is an old 16'x8' box trailer that was on the property when i bought it. I've used it for a wood shed since i started burning. It's not ideal due to limited air circulation but i only put already seasoned, very dry, wood in it. We've already burned quite a bit. The long stack was up to the ceiling and i had a 3' full length stack in front of it at the start of the season.
lwmRxEk.jpg
qvAKwzj.jpg

The almost depleted stack in front was all the way up to the ceiling too. What's left is the pieces that were nearer the ground while outside so I'll leave those till last if i run out.
qmwCWW3.jpg

You all have much better looking sheds than me but it still gets the job done!

Back