Your worst cut

I am sure it has happened to all of us. At one point or another we have cut ourselves...

What is your worst cut, where was it, and how many stitches?

I'll start:

This was my worst one and it only happened a few weeks ago. I was cutting duct tape off of a old weight lifting bar. The bar had an metal sleeve around the solid bar in the middle. The sleeve had started to wear out over the years rather then replacing it and buying a new bar I just kept putting loads of duct tape over it. Well I got a new bar a few weeks back so I was going to cut up the old one and make dumbells out of it. Well I was cutting the old tape off, my knife slipped, ran along the inside of my thumb on my left hand. Went in one side, ran along the bone, and came out the other side. Basically took all the skin off the inside of my thumb, only held on my a half inch section near my nail. Went up to the ER and they put 17 stitches into it. Right now I have no feeling at all on the inside of my thumb, and the rest of it has pins and needles.

I have been lucky I guess, I am 39 and have never cut myself bad enough to need stitches, the worst time I cut myself was when I was 15 and accidently shut my older brothers Schrade LB7 on my thumb and still have a 1/4" triangle shaped scar from it.

When i was a kid (10-12) my mom and dad allowed me to have pocket knife because we live on farm etc. and i became hooked on them, mom told me if i ever cut myself and whined about i would never have another one, so one day im sharpening my knife with one of those "V" deals with two steel rods and a handle and i pushed the knife in too hard and pulled it out across the top or my left thumb and cut it all the way to the bone, but remembered moms warning so i got a towel and wrapped it up while bleeding profusely and hid it from her until that night, when i got fussed at for not telling her but i got to keep my knives because i never whined. Im sure it needed stitches but it got some gauze, tape, and liqui-bandage.

alot of us have posted if u do a search

Ditto, but here it goes again, when I was 9 years old I tried to open up a softball with a Boker Top-Lock, my 1st nice knife, and I found out really quick 2 things, don't cut a round surface, lol, and that my Boker was VERY sharp...I almost took off the side of my thumb, no stitches because I hid it from my parents, I thought I would gte into trouble, lol, but now its a nice fish-hook shaped scar...:D

My first cut, second deepest, came from when I got my first quality knife (at the time). I was around 5 at the time, and about 10 minutes after buying the knife I managed to cut about an 1 1/2" slit in my right middle finger. If I remember right it was from me trying to close the knife (it had two blades that folded inward). No stitches from that, nor do I remember there ever being any pain with it.

Second time I cut myself was when I was around 11 or 12. I was using a cheep chinese knife, around a 2" blade and a 2 1/2" handle with serrations. Well I was trying to stab into some tough plastic on a large crate, when the tip hit some wood on the other side that I had not seen previously. I was not holding onto the knife tight enough to encounter the sudden stop of hitting the wood and my hand went forward. I received about an inch long cut across my index finger that went into the bone. Again, not stitches or pain, however I do have a scar. :)

No serious cuts since then, so I guess I am very lucky or very careful. I also still have both knives, even after all these years I still have them. While I will most likely never ever use them, they do hold sentimental value.

I guess I'm pretty fortunate that my worst cut wasn't half as bad as some of your guys. It happened last summer while I was hiking through the forest behind my house, I was kinda acting irresponsible because I was walking around with my knife out, randomly hacking limbs and branches off different trees, just playing with my knife. I went to lunge and swipe at one branch when I tripped over a root and I started to fall forward and I ended up impaling myself in the leg, about a 1/2" deep. It only required 2 stitches but I know it could've ended up a lot worse.

Left hand, 2 inches with my surfboard fin. I was coming up from the depths on a big day and the board was caught by a wave. When I came up, the fin sliced through the web of my thumb and pointing finger.

No stitches. Just held it on position for many weeks till it healed up.

17 years old. Meat slicer. Thumb--pretty much through to the nail.

30 years old. Guillotine-style paper cutter cutting .020 x1-inch steel pieces from a roll. Other thumb---3/4 cut right across the nail.

Over 20 years ago, some punk with one of those piece of crap "Edge Company" OTFs stabbed me in the right forearm and knicked a major vein (thankfully not an artery). Couldn't stop the bleeding for over a half hour. Used direct pressure and elevation, then slapped on an adhesive butterfly bandage. It hurt to wiggle my fingers for a coupla days.

Gerber Multitool. I was using the serrated blade to cut some braided fishing line. As I was trying to put the blade away because I wanted to be safe and not leave an open blade where I might accidently cut myself, (and that was exactly what I was thinking) my hand slipped. Cut the tip of my pointer finger diagonally down to the bone. Twelve stiches on top. My finger is still numb on the surface after 8 years but I no longer have the pins and needle feelings. It was a whole year before I could even put pressure on that finger.

Oh! almost forgot one. I was pushing tip down (incising) into a piece of good with a Swiss Army knife when, of course, the darned thing closed on my finger.

Gerber Multitool. I was using the serrated blade to cut some braided fishing line. As I was trying to put the blade away because I wanted to be safe and not leave an open blade where I might accidently cut myself, (and that was exactly what I was thinking) my hand slipped. Cut the tip of my pointer finger diagonally down to the bone. Twelve stiches on top. My finger is still numb on the surface after 8 years but I no longer have the pins and needle feelings. It was a whole year before I could even put pressure on that finger.

Looks like it got the nerve unfortunately. They're tricky things. Sometimes if they're damaged, they'll regenerate some feeling. Other times, if they're completely severed, the nerve can never reconnect to restore feeling. Same thing in my ear. I have partial numbness, due to an operation. severed the nerve and had numbness for almost a year then partial resoration only after several years.

It still makes me cringe thinkng about it, my wife has a great frosting spreader thing, when it was new, she had just finished frosting somthing and gave it to me to lick, now as she was handing it to me she said be careful, its sharp. I was thinking to myself how sharp can a spreader be as I inserted the end into my mouth, closed my lips arround it pulled it out, as I pulled it out I felt it cutting into the right hand corner of my mouth, it was like it happenng in slo-mo I couldnt stop, it was awfull, it cut neatly about 1/16" into the corner of my mouth, what I didnt see because it was covered in frosting was the spreader was serrated down 1 side like a steak knife. It took forever to heal because it kept splitting, it was AWEFUL!!!:eek:

i have two. first, in my younger dumber years: i had a steak knife i carried fishing. it was in my pocket in a cardboard sheath. i was in the back of my moms car and it had fallen out and become wedged between the seat cushions. i turned around to get something and buried the blade in my knee. it woyld have taken stitches had i gone to a doctor, but i patched myself up. my knee clicked for a while when i ran (i ran the 440) but its better. that was like 12 years ago.

more recently, yet still dumb...i was using a razor sharp buck 110 to open a splitring on a carrystrap. the edge was up, but i still stabbed the back of my left hand. i did go for stitches and left with 6 or 8, i can't remember. i left uch in tampa and went to a bar at 2 am, and got free shots and sympathy from hot girls, haha

knock on wood, i've never needed stitches, but the worst cut for me was when i accidentally cut myself with a Busse on that bit of skin between the thumb and index finger. Only cut about 1/8 inch into the skin but hurt like hell.

Making my first dagger, I had it point up in a vise. Reached over it for a file and stuck it 2" into my arm. That was 9 stitches and took more than all the profit out of it.

The worst part was that exactly 30 days earlier, Jim Ferguson warned me to always put something over a blade in a vise if you aren't working on the blade. I was working on the guard fit. Now I use a lot of electrical tape to wrap blades, but haven't had stitches since.

I may not learn fast, but I do learn.

Gene

My worse cut was on a can of cat food. Ragged edge of the lid, guess I didn't pay enough attention or (in reality) know how to properly open one up. I was actually taking care of another friends cat too! That cut was worse than knife cuts i've had. I've had some doozey paper cuts thou....

Linda.

Worst cut with a knife was probably when I was playing with my half-serrated Spyderco Military. I managed to press my thumb firmly into the serrated edge. I didn't need stitches or anything, but there sure was a lot of blood!

If we include cutting someone else it's much worse though. For my 6th birthday my father gave me a nice little 3" fixed blade. As I was sitting alone whittling (I was told not to do that around other people), the girl next door sat down next to me and somehow the knife slipped and sliced her knee pretty badly (the knife was stuck in her knee :eek: ). Her mother was one of those people that faints at the sight of blood so she had to leave her screaming daughter in the hands of the other parents that were there. So that was pretty much how my 6th birthday party ended :p Man I felt so bad.
I wasn't allowed to have another knife until I was 12 or something.
I met her several years later and she still had a big scar :(

Back