You're saying that wrong...

Sounds ridiculous
It depends on the question and the answers, honestly. If the misspelling didn't make a word but it was obvious what was intended, and jux t chose the other answer to make a point; it was a poor decision when every point counts tremendously. If, however, the misspelling changed the context of the answer, it would be reasonable to expect a reversal.

Your proposed nuance is reasonable.

jux t jux t Did the spelling actually matter?
ie post nasal vs post natal, saline vs saltine, O2 Sat vs O2 Stat, contusion vs confusion?
Was the misspelling still a word, or was it an obvious typo?
I can tell that you nurse. The word was a typo, and in case this goes to the Supreme Court (joking), I’ll protect myself by comparing it to saying “sterile wtaer” instead of “sterile water” being the correct answer.

Yes, it’s obviously a typo; but when the other answer was also correct, except spelled correctly, I chose that. And I stand by it, will argue to their superior. We are expected to be very deliberate and specific, and so should they.

I can tell that you nurse.
I do not.
I am in healthcare, though.

Best of luck in your battle; but consider whether it's worth making this your hill. I don't know how far along you are; but pissing off the instructor and department chair can be a poor choice. They can make your life hell or block your path.

Last edited:
Lol, no.
But I had my share of battles in school, and I've known more than a few nursing students that didn't have enough sense to stand down. If they don't want you to make it, you won't (at least not in that program).

Lol, no.
But I had my share of battles in school, and I've known more than a few nursing students that didn't have enough sense to stand down. If they don't want you to make it, you won't (at least not in that program).
The instructors have been recognizing/correcting their own mistakes on 5 questions out of 100 so far because enough students called them out for being wrong. They’re seasoned nurses and do know the subject material, but one in particular won’t budge on anything, so I’m meeting with another one. The misspelled word was the only one applicable to this thread, so I mentioned it. I get your point about not stirring the nest, but was raised to question and debate if necessary.

My point wasn't to not stir the nest...sometimes it needs to be done. My point was to keep your head about while doing so. It's easy to get fixated on your cause while you're in the middle of it, and push too far.

That’s a new one to me, thanks. For anyone interested in the English language and how we use it, I listen to a podcast called “A Way With Words” when I’m on a road trip. Highly recommended.

They have segments where callers call in from different regions, often asking where a term or phrase originated, and 9/10 times they can pinpoint it and give the history.
I started listening to the "way with words" podcast!
Very enjoyable, thank you jux t jux t !

French numbers. I'm not saying it's wrong, exactly, but can be so cumbersome. Did you that there is no French word for "eighty", or "ninety"? The way to say eighty is "four-twenty" and ninety is "four-twenty ten". So, for example, if you ask a French person when Michael Jordan returned to the NBA, they will tell you it was in the year "one thousand, nine hundred, four-twenty-fifteen" (mille neuf cent quatre-vingt-quinze). Even since childhood, I felt like this was some kind of linguistic oversite.

Overwhelmed or underwhelmed. Why does noone mention when they are just whelmed? Wouldn't whelmed mean everything is status quo or normal?

Back