You're with a group of 8, and temperature suddenly drops below 0.

Yep, the 1959 Djatlov Pass incident in the Ural mountains that killed 8 hikers. I used to have nightmares about that story. In fact, it was the subject of at least one science-horror film. There was a Swedish version also involving 8 skiers in 1978 but 1 survived. For those not familiar, a short Wiki venture will tell you the essentials. You have young people, experienced hikers and skiers, being caught in freak weather conditions hopelessly far from help (2 weeks time for the Ural Group, 4 hours for the Swedish which explains how one survived -barely.)

Let's assume you're carrying standard camping equipment and supplies on foot. How do you survive a sudden temperature drop, aggravated by the worst wind factor you can imagine? You have plentiful timber, lots of snow. At Djatlov however, the group camped on the slope of the mountain and only 4 made it to the timber line about a mile away. You're all young and in pretty decent shape.

Yep, the 1959 Djatlov Pass incident in the Ural mountains that killed 8 hikers. I used to have nightmares about that story. In fact, it was the subject of at least one science-horror film. There was a Swedish version also involving 8 skiers in 1978 but 1 survived. For those not familiar, a short Wiki venture will tell you the essentials. You have young people, experienced hikers and skiers, being caught in freak weather conditions hopelessly far from help (2 weeks time for the Ural Group, 4 hours for the Swedish which explains how one survived -barely.)

Let's assume you're carrying standard camping equipment and supplies on foot. How do you survive a sudden temperature drop, aggravated by the worst wind factor you can imagine? You have plentiful timber, lots of snow. At Djatlov however, the group camped on the slope of the mountain and only 4 made it to the timber line about a mile away. You're all young and in pretty decent shape.

After reading about the Djatlov Pass incident, it sounds to me like territorial Yetis attacked the camp.

Totally foreign to me, the likely scenario where I am is you have run out of water, the closed in vegetation and flat landscape is identical in every direction with no landmarks, two hundred miles in any direction before there are any signs of civilization eg a track....what do?

I think the strong winds lifted their tent and its occupants off the ground like a bounce house and then dropped them back down from a height, causing severe injuries. One of the survivors used his Russian made titanium camp knife to slice through the tent to escape.

I think the strong winds lifted their tent and its occupants off the ground like a bounce house and then dropped them back down from a height, causing severe injuries. One of the survivors used his Russian made titanium camp knife to slice through the tent to escape.
A plausible explanation indeed. However are there not photos of tents sitting/anchored appropriately ? I'm just going off past memory of the
Pictures. I also heard that an avalanche was another possibility. Or a Rooskie nuke rocket test, as they'll drop them pretty much wherever they please out there. Apparently some of the clothing was irradiated, or so we are told......The truth is likely PO'd Russian Yetis butt sore from being irradiated by an aberrant nuke test. Tends to put them in a foul mood......... It's a fascinating event indeed.

Back