Recommendation? YouTube knife reviewers: Any #1 favorite??

Right? Like, Dr. Frunkey was mentioned here already. Heh, THAT dirtbag finished medical school, started making serious Doctor money and was still asking all his followers for money so he could pay for all those super expensive one-off customs* he always managed to have coming in for "review". Last I checked, people were still doing it! Kinda genius, really.

* Odd that people were cool with giving someone who could afford medical school all this money so he could continue to obtain ultra rare, absurdly expensive knives from huge-name makers whose books are/were essentially permanently closed. Man, wish I'd managed to learn the secret of having rubes bankroll an expensive hobby of mine for free :rolleyes:
Plus a lot of them have super expensive watches they "review" or wear as well.

I mean influencers are influencers it's cool that a lot of them love knives and some do care about the industry but the people who churn out 50 videos a month or more they don't care about the hobby they care about the $$$$$

As far as annoying goes, Birdshot IV; From the park, Frankie,give us a hey; HEYYYY ugh ! .Joe X is another winner,bad enough beating a knife into oblivion which makes no sense, but then to shoot its remains; and to shoot it at close range in some concrete bunker; thats real smart,i I only watch others if its a knife im interested in, to get an idea of the size or function. I think one good guy is that Aaron ,Gideons tactical guy; very strait foward and not annoying whatsoever.Someone on here mentioned ericaedc; shes pretty cool too strait foward without all this nonsense we do not need...

Why can’t both be true? I mean there’s no way you could say Metal Complex doesn’t care about the hobby. But he also makes enough to only be a YouTuber. Good for him I say. I would never begrudge someone their ability to make money.
When you receive 50 knives a week and you're doing unboxings saying the exact same things about knives over and over I think your opinion get's a little deluded.

I like Metal Complex no knock on him but yeah I'd never just buy a knife because I watched someone review it, 90% of the influencers don't even use the knives they review they either pass it along for the next reviewer or sell it.

It always has an air of taint when you're reviewing products you receive for free at least to me and you're doing that for money no less. They make bank I'll give them that though!

When you receive 50 knives a week and you're doing unboxings saying the exact same things about knives over and over I think your opinion get's a little deluded.

I like Metal Complex no knock on him but yeah I'd never just buy a knife because I watched someone review it, 90% of the influencers don't even use the knives they review they either pass it along for the next reviewer or sell it.

It always has an air of taint when you're reviewing products you receive for free at least to me and you're doing that for money no less. They make bank I'll give them that though!

I don’t disagree with any of this. It’s entertainment and nothing more. I wouldn’t go to any of these channels for anything more than that.

DBK, say what you want but they're one of the few channels actually testing the knives as they review them.

I do also enjoy Cedric & Ada and Gideon Tactical for the same reason. I sporadically watch Joe X, but more for the morbid curiosity than for a real opinion on how good a knife is.

One of the issues I have with the guy is that he posted some big long crying-jag video about how he's a super honest person, and he just "tells it like it is", as part of some beef with another Knifetuber. Can you imagine anything more pathetic? Having beef with another idiot (on YT of all places LOL), and so you have to make a "react" video about it? The problem here is that our society has conned a lot of these "influencers" into thinking that they and their opinions/viewpoints are tremendously more relevant or important than they actually are.
That’s what drives me nuts about the vast majority of YouTubers - they drone on and on and on for half the video about their life stories and those of their friends and ‘sponsors’ before getting to the f’n point. I DON’T CARE about your miserable life.

And yeah, I’m with you about KC, especially DCA - the guy gets to the point, he’s easy to listen to, he tells you what you need to know about each knife, and most importantly, he doesn’t come across as a know-it-all. Of course he’s there to help sell knives, but if you listen closely, he is subtly critical of things that deserve it. He just doesn’t come out and beat it to death. Definitely one of my favorite reviewers. I like Nick Shabazz, too. A little quirky, but in a relatable way, and usually on the money with his reviews.

That’s what drives me nuts about the vast majority of YouTubers - they drone on and on and on for half the video about their life stories and those of their friends and ‘sponsors’ before getting to the f’n point. I DON’T CARE about your miserable life.

And yeah, I’m with you about KC, especially DCA - the guy gets to the point, he’s easy to listen to, he tells you what you need to know about each knife, and most importantly, he doesn’t come across as a know-it-all. Of course he’s there to help sell knives, but if you listen closely, he is subtly critical of things that deserve it. He just doesn’t come out and beat it to death. Definitely one of my favorite reviewers. I like Nick Shabazz, too. A little quirky, but in a relatable way, and usually on the money with his reviews.
Plus DCA actually designed a knife or helped in the process as he took his knowledge from the industry and tried to make something his own!

DCA is a real knife guy.

I only search and watch reviews on knives I’m already planning on buying. Watching, not really for their opinions but so I can get a good look of the knife and for size comparisons.

One thing I have noticed is how small the knife community really is. Even the more popular reviewers are only getting a couple k views. Maybe some pushing 10k but rarely. Can’t imagine they’re making tons of money with that many views but I don’t know the pay structure either. One thing that does aggravate me is when they repeatedly ask for subscriptions or patreons whatever the hell that is. All being said, it’s still a positive that they’re their and available.

I like EricasEDC bc she talks about using the knives at work over several weeks, and sharpening / optimal edge angles.
This.
Advanced Knife Bro for some sarcasm.
And this.
These days, about the only knife channel I watch is Knifecenter's New Knife Day videos with DCA or Seth where they show new knives. 99% of the other "knifeTubers" have some irritating issue or other that makes me give them a hard pass:

- Their voice is annoying, I'm not putting up with that.
- They talk about things like "hard use", then go on to talk about knife details that no one who actually uses knives would care about.
- They have opinions opposite mine about various knife features, and are whining about it in virtually every video.
- Their content seems geared towards being a fluffer for new Instagram knife designers "makers" who have all their stuff made in China (Yaaaaayyy, yet another Reate made knife, I'm sure it won't have the same exact action and materials as all the rest of them, surely not).
- A few of these big name people are just as bad as gamerTubers where they have a super long meandering talkvomit intro instead of getting right to the point (which, I know full well, is done so they can meet time length metrics that YouTube wants them to hit so they can monetize the video). If you haven't gotten to the knife in the first minute or two, I'm out. We aren't friends and I don't care what's going on in your personal life.

So yeah, it's just Knifecenter's videos for me.
All of this.

The only ones I actively seek out are:
- Cedric and Ada
- Michael Christy
- Virtuovoice
- Matthew Culbertson
- Dutch Bushcraft Knives (they're too silly and their tests are a bit gimmicky, but at least they actually use their knives)

Honorable mention
- Advanced Knife Bro (his sarcasm is fun for the first few episodes)

I'll second Stassa23. I appreciate that he puts the knives that he reviews through their paces and doesn't hold back on critiques where he sees issues. I also enjoy Cedric & Ada for the steel nerdery and bizarre humor. Zac in the Wild is another good one, he does some reviews but spends more time exploring other aspects of the EDC world that others overlook. His video a few months back on the history of the Bowie knife was fascinating!

I'm a fixie guy. So, the two most common for me are Gideon's Tactical and the DBK guys. I've watched several others, sporadically, but the two mentioned I tend to watch about every week or two.

Back