Youtube tech question- upload time?

I just (as in yesterday) started shooting quick ~5-10 min videos to put on youtube. I have to edit them on the Windows Movie Editor. Once I 'publish' them they're around a gig or 1.5 gigs. When up upload this onto youtube, it takes 2.5-4 hours!

I'm just wondering, is it normal for it to take this long to upload to youtube? I use an avi format, but the only other option that's smaller in size is the 'for dial up' size, and it's like 25 mb.

If you have a 1.5 GB 10 minute movie you're doing something wrong.

You're probably saving them in a uncompressed format that's spitting out the huge files. 4 hours isn't bad for a 1.5 GB upload. You're shooting (for that length) for around a 100 MB file max. Anything bigger and it's not compressing enough.

For a comparison, full length 2 hour movies take up about 4 GB.

Gotcha. I'm absolutely ignorant of how to change file type or compression. When I have the option to choose which file type to save it as, should I be selecting that "for dial up" size that's closer to the 25 mb?

(PS- Thanks for the speedy replies!)

Gotcha. I'm absolutely ignorant of how to change file type or compression. When I have the option to choose which file type to save it as, should I be selecting that "for dial up" size that's closer to the 25 mb?

(PS- Thanks for the speedy replies!)

I'm not familiar with Windows Movie Maker at all, but there should be a "target size" option. Are you saving it as a avi file?

I had been saving it as an avi file. This time I chose to compress the file, I chose 100 megs. It decreased the quality quite a bit. Once I choose to compress it, there is no option for a different type of file other than wmv.

I had been saving it as an avi file. This time I chose to compress the file, I chose 100 megs. It decreased the quality quite a bit. Once I choose to compress it, there is no option for a different type of file other than wmv.

Odd. What did you use to shoot the video? Are you shooting something in an large (>500x500) format?

Odd. What did you use to shoot the video? Are you shooting something in an large (>500x500) format?

It's on a digital camera (not a true video camera) at 320x240 @ 30fps. When I save as an avi it's huge, and then compression to 100 megs as wmv makes it crappy-ish. :confused: Ah well, it'd be boring if there wasn't something to learn here.

It's on a digital camera (not a true video camera) at 320x240 @ 30fps. When I save as an avi it's huge, and then compression to 100 megs as wmv makes it crappy-ish. :confused: Ah well, it'd be boring if there wasn't something to learn here.

How big is it before you edited it?

then compression to 100 megs as wmv makes it crappy-ish
Crappy-ish compared to other youtube videos? Or only crappy-ish when compared to the gigabyte original?

We could post great video online if we could use a gigabyte every ten minutes....

Crappy-ish compared to other youtube videos? Or only crappy-ish when compared to the gigabyte original?

We could post great video online if we could use a gigabyte every ten minutes....

Good point. I looked at some others and I think it's probably on par with other youtube videos.

Most likely the solution is found then! Thanks much fellas!! :thumbup:

Back