YouTube videos

vwb563

Gold Member
Have you guys watched the videos on YouTube by vininull? This guy is Russian and talks in Russian but I've been watching his vids on hard use knives. Not very many survive his tests due to the abuse he gives them. The only folding knife that I've seen survive his test without lock failure is a Cold Steel Spartan. This is due to the use of the strongest folding knife lock on the planet, the Tri-Ad lock. My Cold Steels with the Tri-Ad lock are about the only knives that I own that I completely trust not to fail on me no matter what type of task I'm doing with them. I just wish Cold Steel would start using better steels in their knives. I would love to see them start using M390 or S90V or heck even good ole S30V would be wonderful. What say you all?

It irks me when I hear people use the term "better steel" as if that's really a thing. Different steels work better for different purposes.

AUS8A is the most-used blade steel by Cold Steel because it's a good "all around" performance steel that can work in pretty much any knife. There's nothing it's really bad at. With Cold Steel's variety of designs, it makes sense to put AUS8A in everything because you can't really go wrong with it. On top of that, it's inexpensive, so Cold Steel can try new things, and those new things are actually affordable for a working person. No, AUS8A doesn't excel at anything in particular, but it can hold an edge, it can take an impact, it can resist rust, and it's easy to sharpen. It can work for a big bowie like the Marauder and it can work for a tiny little utility blade like the Super Edge that's on my key chain right now.

I've seen that test, too, and the reason the Spartan suffered chips on its edge is because it's got a very thin edge, due to its hollow grind. Not because of AUS8A.

It irks me when I hear people use the term "better steel" as if that's really a thing. Different steels work better for different purposes.

AUS8A is the most-used blade steel by Cold Steel because it's a good "all around" performance steel that can work in pretty much any knife. There's nothing it's really bad at. With Cold Steel's variety of designs, it makes sense to put AUS8A in everything because you can't really go wrong with it. On top of that, it's inexpensive, so Cold Steel can try new things, and those new things are actually affordable for a working person. No, AUS8A doesn't excel at anything in particular, but it can hold an edge, it can take an impact, it can resist rust, and it's easy to sharpen. It can work for a big bowie like the Marauder and it can work for a tiny little utility blade like the Super Edge that's on my key chain right now.

I've seen that test, too, and the reason the Spartan suffered chips on its edge is because it's got a very thin edge, due to its hollow grind. Not because of AUS8A.

I can assure you there are "better" steels out there for knives than 8A. It's not a bad steel but the are better steels. I never said anything about the chipping issue. That was of no concern to me since I don't cut steel sheets with my knives. I personally would buy more Cold Steel knives if they would upgrade their blade steels. Again like I said, 8A is not a bad steel but its not a great steel either. That's my 2 cents.

I can assure you there are "better" steels out there for knives than 8A. It's not a bad steel but the are better steels. I never said anything about the chipping issue. That was of no concern to me since I don't cut steel sheets with my knives. I personally would buy more Cold Steel knives if they would upgrade their blade steels. Again like I said, 8A is not a bad steel but its not a great steel either. That's my 2 cents.

A "better steel"? For what, exactly? Light EDC? Hard use? Salt water? Dry desert environments? A jungle? Going into the woods? Military use?

AUS8A will work for all of those environments and uses. There are lots of steels that hold an edge better than AUS8A. There are steels that resist rust a lot better. Steels that might resist chipping better. Steels that take a shock better. Steels that cost less. Even steels that sharpen better. Steels that do all of these things better? I dunno, I think that's pushing it.

Different steels are better for different uses.

I only mentioned the chipping issue before somebody else chimes in and blames it on the steel.

You're not gonna convince Kwon of this, no matter how true it is. If Cold Steel proclaimed AUS8 a sign from Heaven that Jesus was returning was gonna be coming back next year, he'd be telling everyone to prepare for the Savior's return.

You're not gonna convince Kwon of this, no matter how true it is. If Cold Steel proclaimed AUS8 a sign from Heaven that Jesus was returning was gonna be coming back next year, he'd be telling everyone to prepare for the Savior's return.

I never said that AUS8A was anything of the sort. All I said was that it's a good "all around" steel that doesn't excel at anything (except ease of sharpening), but doesn't suck at anything, either. It's that simple.

I have to agree with Kwon Kwang (with Aus-8A being a good, serviceable steel for most EDC tasks) for several reasons:

1. A certain amount of people (on this forum) take edge-holding as the ultimate be-all, end-all over other important features of a knife such as handle ergonomics and lock strength.

2. Too many people are scared of knife sharpening, when the truth of the matter is that it isn't rocket science!

Consistent edge maintenance keeps any knife sharp, in like new or even better condition, regardless of what blade steel is used.

3. Only a certain amount of people are really going to benefit from more edge-holding or wear-resistance—it is only a temporary gain in the short-term.

Which can lull people into a false sense of security—because then they take it too far and when the blade finally goes dull—then it can be a real bear to sharpen because it is completely dull!

4. Economics-related: A steel that has been used for a while has the benefit of having gone through the process of finding the right heat-treating process. So this also brings down the cost as more of it is available compared to newer steels that are starting the process.

5. Economics-related again: A knife made of mid-level blade steel has a lower price-point, which makes it easier for new people just getting into knives to purchase them.

My final point is:

Don't be afraid to get into the habit of constant touch-up sharpening or stropping. It only takes less than a minute to do and saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

I don't own a single knife that I'm worried about the lock failing. If I'm doing something where I'd be worried about that, I'd likely be using a fixed blade anyways.

Last edited:
I don't own a single knife that I'm worried about the lock failing. If I'm doing something where I'd be worried about that, I'd likely be using a fixed blade anyways.

This. I've used liner locks, frame locks, standard lockbacks...in 20 years of carrying knives I've NEVER had a lock fail. Yeah, I know, the triad lock is stronger than others, and if for some ungodly reason I find myself having to baton or chop down a branch with a folding knife instead of a fixed blade, yeah, I'd want the triad. But for the vast majority of normal uses, you're not going to have lock failure with most locks. Same thing with handle ergonomics...plenty of other companies make knives with handles at LEAST as ergonomic as CS, several even moreso. And again, it's not like CS couldn't use the SAME LOCK AND HANDLE ERGONOMICS in a blade with a higher end steel, so that's really irrelevant to the point at hand anyway. So basically it comes down to price-AUS8 IS cheaper than many other steels, and that is what it has going for it. But there are plenty of people who would be willing to pay more for a better steel, regardless.

Back