Yuma for my dad

A couple of months ago I ordered my first TM Hunt custom, a Yuma for my dad. My dad recently had a bout with Cancer, and while my dad and I have never had too much in common my love for westerns and weapons is something that has always brought us together and I wanted to get him something that brought that together and also said "Keep fighting." I couldn't think of a better knifemaker to tackle bringing all these elements together than TM Hunt. I'm one of those people that gets something in their head, like an idea of something, and then by the time I get it in hand I am a little disappointed. It is rare when something meets my expectations, and even rarer so when they are surpassed. I received my dad's Yuma in the mail today and when I opened the package I was absolutely blown away from the moment I saw it. This knife is a work of art, and I really want to emphasize the WORK part of that because this is a stout little working knife. I did give it a test run (couldn't resist), and boy oh boy does it perform. Those curly maple handles, mosaic pins and the finish really make it feel like it belongs in an old western or frontier post apocalyptic wasteland; it's a time traveler.

I really wanted to give a big thank you to Todd Hunt and all the whole crew out there. You guys do a hell of a job. The entire ordering process as well I can't say enough about, Todd is a very genuine guy and great to deal with. Couldn't recommend picking up a TM Hunt custom more. Can't wait to present this Yuma to my dad in 2 weeks.

THANK YOU!

*Pardon the bad webcam pics, but had to share.

Photo on 2015-10-05 at 6.11 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 2015-10-05 at 6.11 PM #3.jpgPhoto on 2015-10-05 at 6.12 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking knife for a great reason from a great maker. Those mosaic pins really class it up.

The pleasure was all mine GF. Glad to hear it got there o.k. and even more happy that you are pleased.

I said this before, but one of the most rewarding things about what I do is some of the people that I cross paths with. Sometimes I get to do projects that will be family heirlooms, other times I do projects for father sons. I've done many projects for weddings as far as groomsman gifts. Even done specific custom project for people that want something they can pass along to there children that is a copy of something they had, but lost as a child, and even in your case with your father being sick. I can't explain how much of a honor it is that people consider me and my craft to bring those things together. It is the ultimate compliment, and is better than any money thats recieved.

I also can't tell you how much I hope that the knife you purchased from me does exactly what you want it to do. Not only to perform as a knife, but more importantly to be that reminder to your Dad not to ever quite fighting. Let him know he has a dirty old knifemaker down here in the states that has faith in him and saying some prayers for him. ;). Please keep me posted on his condition.

The pleasure was all mine GF. Glad to hear it got there o.k. and even more happy that you are pleased.

I said this before, but one of the most rewarding things about what I do is some of the people that I cross paths with. Sometimes I get to do projects that will be family heirlooms, other times I do projects for father sons. I've done many projects for weddings as far as groomsman gifts. Even done specific custom project for people that want something they can pass along to there children that is a copy of something they had, but lost as a child, and even in your case with your father being sick. I can't explain how much of a honor it is that people consider me and my craft to bring those things together. It is the ultimate compliment, and is better than any money thats recieved.

I also can't tell you how much I hope that the knife you purchased from me does exactly what you want it to do. Not only to perform as a knife, but more importantly to be that reminder to your Dad not to ever quite fighting. Let him know he has a dirty old knifemaker down here in the states that has faith in him and saying some prayers for him. ;). Please keep me posted on his condition.

Like I said I have never been so impressed with the sheer quality, look and function of a knife. You normally get one or two of those but not all 3. It's pretty damn impressive. I can't put it down and the little devil on my shoulder is whispering, "Keep it..." Of course I won't, just means I have to put in an order for one that matches so I can establish another small connection with my dad.

I appreciate the sentiment for my dad. It's been a rough recovery for him due to preexisting medical conditions making it a lot slower than normal.

Last edited:
Spectacular looking Yuma, Grey Falcon! I'm sure your dad will love it. My best wishes and prayers for his continued recovery.

What a wonderful and inspiring post, wonderful knife and I hope it keeps his spirits up, we are praying for him. I think you need one too and plan a trip for when he is feeling better, so you guys can enjoy time together. Cherish that time together and then you have a set that you can hand down with great memories.

Thank you everyone for the kind words about my dad. He's having a tough time of it, was actually in the hospital again last night, so he's getting frustrated and with too many antibiotics, well, your immune system is down so it's a vicious cycle.

As for the Yuma, well, it keeps impressing me. I don't go at it hard, as it is not staying with me, but it's difficult not to play with it while it's 5 feet from my person. Probably one of the best companion blades I have used, great edge geometry and honestly one of the best handles to my hand; in my Top 3 for sure of blades of this size. Also, enough can't be said about a good sheath and this one is great.

What a wonderful and inspiring post, wonderful knife and I hope it keeps his spirits up, we are praying for him. I think you need one too and plan a trip for when he is feeling better, so you guys can enjoy time together. Cherish that time together and then you have a set that you can hand down with great memories.

You know, that is exactly what I would like to do. A fishing trip with my dad is something I haven't done in a very long time. Though in terms of picking up another knife, I would get a Tradewater myself in the same configuration as the extra length would benefit my uses a bit more I think. When I hit the lottery or a big contract though an M-18 will be mine.

Back