Yuma II new name. REVEALED!!!!

TMHunt

Knifemaker/Moderator
O.K. So. I've been asked a million times what I'm gonna name the Yuma II. I thought since it is in fact a Yuma with a longer blade the name Yuma II was sufficent. But Murph would have none of it and rallied the troops to demand the Yuma II receive its own name. So, if the people (that's you guys) say it needs named then so be it.

There has been many suggestions, a lot of good ones as a matter of fact but none that really grabbed me. Daizee here on the forums really gave us all a good chuckle by suggesting we call it "Yumamma" but as time went on it seemed obvious that this issue needed to be put to bed. So, before I tell you the new name, let me give you a little history how the knife came to be.

The knife I make named the Yuma I originally made with nothing more in mind than to make a knife that pleased me. I made myself two different ones to figure out which handle configuration I liked better. I finished these two knives a couple of weeks before I went to my first gathering at Ethan Beckers house in Tennessee. There. They where liked so well that I never saw them again the whole weekend and ended up coming home with only one of them. From there, they hit the internet and to make a long story short, everyone I can make is flying out of the shop and I'm still behind. About a month afterwards, I received a phone call from Brian Griffin (not the dog on family guy. Mistwalker on the forums) wanting his own. I had none to give him, so, since he is a writer and a gifted photographer, I sent him my personal and first Yuma I ever made so he could try one out while I made him one. It was he who suggested I should make another version with a longer blade and I imediately agreed but couldn't figure out just how much longer I wanted to make it. I cut out a couple of blanks, but nothing really spoke to me, so, I hung them on my shop wall and shelved the project. Until, enter one Randy Oliver (Tradewater on the forums). Tradewater contacting me instisting he would own a Yuma, but he wanted on a little different. He wanted one with a longer blade (go figure) and he wanted it marked "TWS" or Tradewater special. He was very specific about the blade being between 5 3/8 to 5 1/2 in. long, so I took one of the blanks off the wall, cut it down to 5 1/2 and Bingo! The Yuma II was born.

2013-03-17145158_zps3868911f.jpg
2013-03-17144732_zps2fd2b5f2.jpg

Unfortunately,that is not the end of that little love story. Tradewater and i got off on the wrong foot. Due to a lot of miscommunication mostly on my part, it became apparent that in order to save face and feelings a phone call was nessessary to rectify the situation. So I called him with with claws out ready for a fight. (which unfortunately is my normal reaction when my pride and temper get in the way....Gimme a break, Im human, Im workin on it.) To my suprise, I found that Trade was calm, polite, and expressed his concerns in a way that this big dumb Indiana boy could understand. After going into the conversation convinced I was right, I hung up the phone learning a valueable lesson on how to better understand different points of view and how to better communicate with my customers. What I learned from Trade that night will make me better in the future, and will always be appreciated.

So, fastforward a couple of weeks after that. Trade got his TWS Yuma II and everyone was happy besides Murph who wanted the Yuma II to have its own name. So, without further adieu. I give you...

THE TRADEWATER..........

So there you have it. Call it the Tradewater, call it the Yuma II, I really don't give a damn, I'll know what you mean. Just as long as the subject is closed and Murph stops sending me nasty texts and emails bugging me about it while I'm trying to sleep.:grumpy: and while I'm at it. Murph and I meant to announce this at the gathering this past weekend. But, I wasn't feeling well Saturday night and hit the sack early, and apparently Trade and his lovely wife Kay are not amphibious and are scared of a little rain and left early, so the opprotunity never came to be.

Last edited:
Enough Drivel! Let's see a couple more Tradewaters.
2013-04-07111616_zps924fa6f4.jpg
2013-04-07111644_zps0716ef49.jpg
2013-04-28122825_zpse463540c.jpg

That is really cool! it's not just a name, it has a story and meaning behind it :thumbup:

Great story sir... I feel deeply moved and touched in very special place, not unlike where derekH trys to touch murph whenever he sees him. I just tell me when you want my money

Great story sir... I feel deeply moved and touched in very special place, not unlike where derekH trys to touch murph whenever he sees him. I just tell me when you want my money

Derek tries to touch me there out of respect. I'm making him wait though.

I really think that Tradewater is a great name, I can't wait to see one on a concrete pig.

Best story I've heard in a long time. That's a great name for an awesome knife. Someday I'll get one but not likely anytime soon but someday.

Last edited:
Can I call it the Snake Flipper? :D

(You had to be there... with the copperhead arcing toward your kayak.)

Congrats to the man, the myth, the legend on this classy and effective namesake.
Also 'grats to Tyrion Hunt heavy industries for another beautiful, tested, and now proven model out there in the field!
I've got the feeling that at Blade, the rest of the world is gonna get turned on to the fact that the Tybalt Hunt shop makes darn good steel!

Just a word about where the name came from. The Tradewater river flows through the Pennyrile region of Kentucky and was used by native Americans, trappers and adventurers for many, many years. For some reason it became an unspoken rule that even warring tribes would not attack each other when on or near the river. It was a major meeting spot to trade skins, furs and various other goods with tribes that would normally be enemies. Even the Europeans could use the river without fear of attack. Boone and Simon Kenton were known to have traveled it. A pretty cool thing when you think about it.

It was also the first place I took my wife paddling and camping. A really beautiful and historic little river, so I took it for a forum name. Not a bad name for a knife either. :D

Just a word about where the name came from. The Tradewater river flows through the Pennyrile region of Kentucky and was used by native Americans, trappers and adventurers for many, many years. For some reason it became an unspoken rule that even warring tribes would not attack each other when on or near the river. It was a major meeting spot to trade skins, furs and various other goods with tribes that would normally be enemies. Even the Europeans could use the river without fear of attack. Boone and Simon Kenton were known to have traveled it. A pretty cool thing when you think about it.

It was also the first place I took my wife paddling and camping. A really beautiful and historic little river, so I took it for a forum name. Not a bad name for a knife either. :D

That's a pretty good cover story. I know it's really because you actually traded a bunch of dry land to God during the wee hours of creation for a little water down here.

I'm sure I'll pay for that blasphemy, a double tap was just the start.

Thanks for the Info Trade. I did do some researce on it before Murph and I decided to go ahead with the name. I was gonna to add it here but you beat me to it. Thanks Man!

After reading about the history of the name "tradewater" and your design process dealings with trade I think the name fits well. Such a great looking knife. When I finish paying off my student loans ill put in an order. By then the tradewater II will probably be out :)

Back