Yup. It's kinda sharp.

I spent some time with the Edge Pro on my RC-3 yesterday. Went up to the 6000 grit polish tape (2k & 3k on aluminum backers, 6k on glass,) then went after it with green-loaded and plain leather strops. It's reasonably sharp now, and kinda purdy too :cool:
4933009252_29b1224632_z_d.jpg

push cuts paper curls with no problem at all
4932417113_fb192044dc_z_d.jpg

I haven't tried hair whittling, as my high & tight doesn't provide me with suitable fodder, but I'm sporting a bald spot along my whole left forearm after a single pass, and it'll do a bit of "tree topping" too. Shaves facial hair like a straight razor.

I can still see some fine scratches, though, so I need a little more time with the 600/1000 grit stones, I think.

I blame knifenut's pictoral posts in the maint. forum for re-igniting my "Is it sharp? Can I get it SHARPER?" fetish.
:D

Looks great man!!!
I really need to get my a$$ in gear and get a quality sharpening system.

I've been pretty impressed with the Edge Pro. I learned to sharpen knives freehand and have done it for years. I can get a pretty respectable, working edge with my combination of DMT's and Spyderco UF and some strops.

The Sharpmaker and Edge Pro (both of which I have) are just refinements to me. I like the Edge Pro's "infinite" angle adjustment, and the ability to maintain a constant & repeatable bevel (if used properly and with understanding of its limits) is helpful.

Polishing to the mirror finish, honing enough at each grit to work out all the micro scratches, and trying for that "wicked sharp" edge are all things I've done before, just recently got the bug again.

One of these days, I'm going to get an edge sharp enough to cut the fabric of space time. :p

Be careful cutting that fabric. You might erase your existence in the process.:eek::eek::rolleyes:
I two free hand right now but it is tough and time consuming. I convex mirror polished my SYKC Mud Puppy (154 CM) with sand paper and a three sided nail buffer!!!! :D
Used what I had access to at the time. Worked well too.
DSC00657.jpg

Looks so nice, it just may prompt ya to grab it if you drop it. *Don't do it* Thats an ouch edge. And stings like a bugge,r just like paper cuts. That are also easy to get if you *feel the edge* alot. A small problem I have. Just can't stop checkin them thar edges? enjoy edgy :thumbup:

I LOL'd at "freakin' hell razor sharp."
Thanks Styx.

But why must I try to get it SHARPER?!?!?! :D

I LOL'd at "freakin' hell razor sharp."
Thanks Styx.

But why must I try to get it SHARPER?!?!?! :D
Cuz you have an edge addiction like I do. Can't stop playin with em. Also I cut paper most every day. I just like seein the blade go through the paper as if it was not there. Yeah edge junkie. Me too. But, :thumbup:enjoy. edgy

My ESEES were awfully sharp out of the baggie. I'm not going to mess with the blade until I know what I'm doing. Congrats on your prowess.

My ESEES were awfully sharp out of the baggie. I'm not going to mess with the blade until I know what I'm doing. Congrats on your prowess.

Gotta agree here. And when that time comes I will hire a pro to put a freakishly razor-sharp edge on my knives. Any of you pros out there who want my bucks can PM me.

It would seem the whole ESEE ethos would be to learn how to make your own sharpness so when you need to rely on your own skills to save your butt, you've developed them.

So very true, but then again I have never been afforded the training to properly sharpen a knife. Suggestions?

Head over to the Busse forum -- I've been asking for suggestions and getting them. Too many to count really.

I started with a Spyderco Sharpmaker and had enough modest success to continue the quest.

What do you mean you can't cut space and time...... guess you still need to work on that polish ;) :)

dammit knifenut!! I blame YOU for this. I had BEATEN this polishing addiction!! I was willing to settle for knives that just SCARED my friends with how sharp they are.

Now I'm sitting here with two 4" x 12" strops trying to decide if my RC-4 is sharp enough when all the hair just JUMPED off my left arm when I waved it in that general direction.

Someday, I will reach your level of mastery, oh Yoda. Then I too will be able to travel through time on the keenness of my blades...

:p

Well, I don't think your too far off but as stated be careful you don't want to meet up with yourself. That could be very bad :)

If doing things correctly your knife will get sharper and sharper until the abrasive can no longer produce a sharper edge. as long as you don't round or over polish the edge you will easily notice this point, but if touching the edge brings you a ear to ear grin every time your probably already there.

Glad I could be of "help" ;)

Back