Yvsa's Ang Khola Bowie prototype. Take a look. Very good work!

View

Here is a wood prototype of the Ang Khola Bowie which is in the air to Nepal. It was supplied by Yvsa and this is what the steel models will look like. The lanyard hole is there but hard to see in this photo. The kamis will not be confused with this!

As usual, Yvsa did a fine job. Many thanks, brother!

------------------
Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
http://members.aol.com/himimp/index.html

I saw it Wednesday. He took and made it accurate, not fancy. Even I would know just what was wanted.

Errrr...with a CHO?

Hmmmm. Ohhhhhkay...

Question: is the outer half of the blade to be double-edge? Or is this a "pure heavy utility piece"?

Jim

Is this the revised Cobalt special? You might want to use thinner stock. It'll cut better that way.

If I recall correctly, the overkill in thickness was part of the reason for being of the thing.

This was to be a "hype" terminator. Lynn Thompson and his Trailmaster, Jerry Busse and his Battle Mistress, Kevin McClung and his camp knives, were all claiming to be tougher than all the rest. Bragging their knives were made from 3/16ths or 1/4 inch stock. The half inch thickness on the Cobalt Special was there to eliminate any arguements before they started.

:
Thanks Uncle,et al.
The blade is sorta misleading in the pic because there is a large fuller from the bevel to a spine located just down from the top.Then there is an AK small hollow that runs from the top back of the clip to almost the handle.I can see it,but I know it's there.You may be able to see it depending upon the resolution of your particular screen and now that you know it's there.

It may be a totally neutral balance,but I am thinking with the blade length as it is that a little butt heavy will be the end result.
It wouldn't take much to sharpen the clip which would make it suitable for a back cut.
The design is much like I imagine from the pic of the old Talwar or Tarwar Khukuris that Uncle posted once and I brought bttt a bit ago.That particular design lends itself to being sharpened on the "clip."

I am sure that it will be somewhat lighter than the first ones made and I am hopeful that the kami's will grasp at what I made and trying to imply and do thier own brand of improvement on blade and fuller thickness and the like.

I made one as close as possible to the original drawing and it didn't "feel" right in the hand.
The handle was short for me and I almost knew it would be for everyone else.By lengthing the handle an inch it "felt" much more comfortable in the hand.

Most of all I am much honored that Uncle thought it suitable to represent the Cobalt Special and what was really desired from that design.

Jim the original is also designed with a cho.
It has to be there for the knife to have a "spirit" if I remember corectly as to what the kami's believe.In this case it makes a very useable Spanish notch.
I am hoping that this one will be for more than just utility although it is still gonna be pretty hefty.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

If you mix milk of magnesia with vodka and orange juice do you get a phillips screwdriver?

Khukuri FAQ

Oh ya. We're talking about something that would make a Trailmaster go running off to it's mommy, a Battle Mistress wet it's pants, a TUSK panic, a...hell, you get the idea
biggrin.gif

'Course, it's liable to weigh as much as your average engine block
biggrin.gif

"It's a MANLY knife!!!"

Wretched overkill can be a GOOD thing. Send it to Mike Turber then send it to Cliff!

Jim

PS: there's an entire war brewing right now over some tests Mike Turber did of 7" class knives. It hasn't hit this forum yet and God(s) willing it won't, but THIS baby would make all the arguments just go away.

KEWL!

Uncle Bill,

If you are taking order now please log me in for one.

Thanks, Julian

OK, Julian. If the kamis pull it off -- and I think with the help of Yvsa's prototype and a little kami ingenuity they just might -- I have a feeling the AK Bowie will join us as a standard offering. I'll log you in.

------------------
Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
http://members.aol.com/himimp/index.html

Yvsa, nice job, love the slight recurve, don't like the clip though would prefer a drop with almost full thickness for strength (like on the Busse Battle Mistress). One thing to consider is that right now the forward guard is just the blade. That would make for some high pressure contacts during heavy work (stabs). You might want to swell up the grips forward to cover that, increasing the contact area and thus lowering the pressure.

-Cliff

Back