Yvsa's first blade only project completed. Pix and a beauty!

View

Here is the first of Yvsa's blade only project brough to fruition and a beautiful job he's done on this one.

Notice how nicely the knife balances on the stick in the top pix.

And, notice how nice the dingy finish looks in the bottom pix.

Great job, bro!

Now we are all waiting for the second effort!

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (18,000+ posts)

All I can say is: W
eek.gif
W

Congratulations, that is really beautiful

------------------
Tatsuo
"He who laughs at himself laughs best" :D

Very nice work, Yvsa! Is that a heart shaped cho?

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

Outstanding; that's one beautiful-looking blade!

Bill; any chance of a blade that shape but with an overall length of say 22"?

Wow Yvsa, keep that up and you can quit your day job and make knives and sheathes. What a fine job. I can't keep from salivating, wanna make one for me next?
biggrin.gif

You've done yourself proud and made the rest of us envious, Yvsa!
Extraordinary job!!
Ken

------------------
The sword cannot cut itself, the eye cannot see itself.

The best compliment I can put to this khukuri is "Mine!"
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
¥vsa, if you ever decide to get rid of this khukuri, you have a standing offer from me to buy it off you.

Harry

:
Oops.
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 10-25-2000).]

Excellent work, Yvsa.

You've done yourself proud.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

:
Thanks guys!!!!
Yup, that's the heart shaped cho and it is a copper bolster and keeper.
I thought the copper would look better against the blued blade and dark handle of the African Knobthorn courtesy of Uncle Bill and Lance Strong and for which I thank them.
smile.gif

For those of you that want to see what the blade looked like originally you can do a search for the plain blades, or perhaps Berk will come to the rescue and put a link to it for us.

There was extensive work done to the blade blank getting the knife to this point.
I am fortunate to have one of the Grizzly belt and knife sanders to enable that much work to be done.
The blade was taken down considerably along the spine to get the full curve, even though it doesn't appear that it is in the pix. When the knife is layed on its spine it will rock in a continuos curve from the tip to the butt.
The spine is also rounded on its top instead of the angle of most khukuris or flat like the Malla.

There was just enough taken off the edge to get a good geometry and enable it to be sharpened properly.
I did round it off along the edge line near the cho to get a more full curving effect and to make the front part of the blade more leafed shaped and symetrical.

The tang was also bent considerably to get the old style handle shape.
It's much, much more difficult to get a curved handle drilled correctly than it is the straight handles that are on the modern knives.
I also took some material off the spine at the handle juncture making it necessary to file the tang down a bit to have enough material to set the boster and handle against. The tang was also filed down a bit on both sides to get the bolster to fit without any nasty looking gaps between it and the blade. The bolster was put on 1st with JB Weld and allowed to set up before the handle was put on with 2 ton 30 minute epoxy.

I made a trip to the local gun store to get the Brownell's Cold Blue for blueing the blade.
This is one project that would have looked really nice with the old style brown or plum finish.

It's gonna be a long while before I get to finish the Hanuman style blade.
I have already done extensive work on it getting the spine worked down and thinned some and getting the general shape to what I want.
The Hanuman is One Serious Sized Blade!!!! It is Definitely not a light weight khukuri.!!!!!

Although I appreciated what the kamis already do, by finishing this blade made me appreciate their efforts even more.
And by doing this one I believe I have a bit of understanding why the design of the old style khukuri evolved into what it is today.
That curved handle is much more difficult to make an get fitted correctly than the modern ones.
I haven't had a chance to try it that much in actual cutting tests, but I absolutely love the way it feels in the hand.
cool.gif

Oh Yeah!!! The handle has just one treatment of boiled linseed oil on it!!! That's absolutely the Dirtiest Wood I have ever worked in my life.!
Even Fast Orange Hand Cleaner with Pumice wouldn't take the residue off my hands!!!
But as you can see it finished out beautifully even though I did cheat and buff the finish on it. I may take the time to take the Hanuman blade handle out to a fine hand sanded finish. It would be awesome!!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

........unknown, to me anyway........

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

Yvsa,
Here's the pic of the rough blades you asked for:
ff754f52.jpg.orig.jpg

I can't tell you how impressed I am with what you have done in creating the finished knife. You have made something that is true to your own traditions and that of the Nepalese kamis at the same time. It is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship - a masterpiece in the fullest sense of the word. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Berk

Yvsa, that's one of the nicest knives I have ever seen. Great job! I thought about giving it a try, if I do you will probably laugh at the results. How many hours of work did you put into that? I really can't get over how well you were able to make a forward curver. Great handle too, how did you get it to balance so well?
Matthew-"Or as the women like to say "hey you in the bushes." Is this thing on?...oh it's not."

Back