Z-finit help

Hello, all! It's been years since I've been on here and commented but I've been searching the forum for several weeks now for z- finit steel. I'm not really trying to beat a dead horse so please be patient with me a little. I know very little of this steel besides it's past names, RC , and general info I've read.

Here's the story, I'm making 2 EDC(semi- hard use) knives for myself in a style that's somewhat mixed between a Crusader Forge TCFM and the old school Raidops. So they're definitely thick lol. The two steels I've narrowed it down to (that I want) are 440c and z-finit based on corrosion resistance and the thickness size bar stock I want(+ 1/4" thickness)

My question is, which one do you guys believe will be the toughest as far as edge chipping and better general use steel?

Thank you for your replies and help

I’m not 100 percent sure, but check hunter martins sub forum, he tested some of that nitrogen steel to destruction. I can’t remember if it was zfinit, but if not it’s similar. He was rather impressed.

Z-FiNit is your better choice and check Alpha Knife Supply (AKS) Chuck is a contributor here and he can answer a lot of your questions a very good source for this Steel...Good Luck!!!

Reactions: Mo2
Thank You for the swift replies.

Yeah that's who I was planning on buying from because they had the 0.283" thick stock in the nitrogen steel.

Does anyone know of any suppliers who offer any of the other nitrogen steels in thick stock. I read of some more impressive nitrogen steels than the z finit but couldn't find any small suppliers of thick stock

I'm not sure about the suppliers but I do agree with checking Hunter Martin's subforum or contacting him directly. Huntsman Knife is his subforum.

It’s nitro-v he’s working with. He recommended it over zfinit!

10- 4, thanks again.

Another question involving 440c vs z finit... which do you think would have the better edge retention?

I just found some 1/4" cpm154cm bar stock and starting to consider it as well.

440C has better edge holding, Z-FiNit has better toughness and corrosion resistance.

Chuck

Back