Z-FinNit From Zapp Tooling, not NASA

Hey Blade Forums, I saw on knife maker Mike Snody's Facebook page he's starting to use a new steel called Z-FinNit. If you're a fellow knife maker, or if you're just into high-performance knives and have purchased tool steel, Zapp Tooling may have come across your radar. Z-FinNit, pronounced z-finite (b/c they're cool like that), is a new stain-proof steel they've "developed." They claim it's supposed to be completely rust and corrosion resistant, and can be forged without any resulting micro-fracturing, unlike 440-C. They're in the process of updating their sales website to include information about this new steel. Sounds like it could be an ideal steel for cutlery used in wet environments.

I just wanted to share this information to keep it real. I mean, the 'Z' in Z-FinNit gave it away that it's from Zapp Tooling, not NASA.

Last edited:
I'm using it now and Chuck from Alpha Knife Supply mentioned to me that NASA has been using it for years in their bearings and no longer use 52100. Good stuff - I'm forging in my integral bolsters from a 1-3/4" round rod.. Brad at Peter's HT has been doing my heat-treat for it, but only gets to a max of 59-60 hardness. I'm going to have to start doing my own HT and see if I can squeeze another point or two out of it. I made a big-ass chopper that I'll be testing for you guys pretty soon and see if I can make some videos.

Last edited:
Back