ZDP-189 Endura 4 opinion ....

So I got a present from my friendly UPS man today!
It was an Endura 4 plain-edge in ZDP-189!

This is my first experience with this steel besides some drawer-queens I have.
This ZDP stuff is nice ... I think it is pretty tough.

I have only used it lightly to see how it holds an edge and so far it reminds me of the 3G steel in my Fallkniven TreKroner (which I like very much)

I was wondering what your opinion of this type of steel is? I am sure I will draw my own conclusion over time, but I sure would appreciate your input.

I like it, but I personally feel the thick saber grind of the Endura does not show the steel to its best advantage. I had Tom Krein flat-grind one of mine to a thickness of 0.010" behind the edge bevel, which is about one fourth of what it was stock. I haven't carried a stock saber grind Endura since it came back. I might as well send the rest of them to him for the same treatment, I'll never go back.

Disclaimer: I'm a geezer. I've carried and used thin flat ground slipjoints for over forty years, so I know how to use a thin blade without breaking it. That is, in my humble opinion, a skill worth developing.

I agree that the zdp could better be exhibited in a full flat grind. They already did the ffg foliage g10 delica in vg10, so why not the zdp?

hmmmm ... full flat grind to a zero edge?
Or are you guys doing micro bevels?

I can see a full convex being a good cutter ... what do you think?

Zero edges are pretty fragile, especially at the tip. Not a good idea if you want to use the knife as EDC, even in this ZDP stuff. I don't think it has much higher toughness than VG-10, and the fact that some users complained about chipping SE blades in ZDP-189 doesn't raise my confidence either.

I'm sure they meant something like this:

Bild136.jpg

Bild145.jpg

That's a "Krein'd" E4 ZDP, actually ground by Jürgen Schanz, a german knife maker. As you can see, the grind is similar to the G-10 Enduras or i.e. the Millie. He made this "zero grind" conversion for me, too:

CIMG6133.jpg

CIMG6129.jpg

That one cuts like a laser, but it isn't my first choice for tough EDC work, the edge and the tip are somewhat delicate.

Conclusion:

If you want to get the best out of your ZDP E4, you definitely should consider sending it to Tom Krein and give it the FFG treatment (That's NOT going to be a Zero grind!)

Dennis

Last edited:
My E4 ZDP should be coming within the next few days... I can't wait till it gets here!

hi there... i was able to fully convex my Endura in Zdp189 and is a great improvement, its so sharp its scary.

Zero edges are pretty fragile, especially at the tip. Not a good idea if you want to use the knife as EDC, even in thes ZDP stuff. I don't think it has much higher toughness than VG-10, and the fact that some users camplained about chipping SE blades in ZDP-189 doesn't raise my confidence either.

................He made this "zero grind" conversion for me, too:

CIMG6133.jpg

CIMG6129.jpg

That one cuts like a laser, but it isn't my first choice for tough EDC work, the edge and the tip are somewhat delicate.

Conclusion:

If you want to get the best out of your ZDP E4, you definitely should consider sending it to Tom Krein and give it the FFG treatment (That's NOT going to be a Zero grind!)

Dennis
.....great shot of a zero ground edge Denis. WOW...just looking at that blade one gets the sense that it slices like a laser !

- regards

Last edited:
hi there... i was able to fully convex my Endura in Zdp189 and is a great improvement, its so sharp its scary.

My belt grinder is calling me ... "please come out to the garage & put a full convex on that new Spyderco! ... You know you WANT to!"

Then my common sense kicks in and says "YOU JUST GOT IT TODAY! Give it a chance"

Mine certainly isn't a zero grind, but the edge bevel at 25 degrees included is a bit under 1 mm wide. ;)

My belt grinder is calling me ... "please come out to the garage & put a full convex on that new Spyderco! ... You know you WANT to!"

Then my common sense kicks in and says "YOU JUST GOT IT TODAY! Give it a chance"

hehehe.:D:D... that's what i said...... then my hands got all itchy and finally couldn't resist it any more...... of course did mine by hand as do not have a belt sander.... so my hands weren't itchy anymore after that ... i can tell you.....

Used my ZDP Endura combo edge all last summer at work doing some pretty heavy duty cutting and it worked well for that. It's no magic steel, but it does hold and edge well and the stock geometry works okay for heavy use. I would love to get a full PE one that is Krein ground, though, thin is definitely what ZDP is good for.

Unfortunately I am new to some of this and don't know the various grinds etc.

I bought a zdp delica and pretty much used it for everything, including using it as a kitchen knife, for quite some time. It kept an edge a long time, did seem to discolor a little and is now kind of hard to resharpen

Unfortunately I am new to some of this and don't know the various grinds etc.

I bought a zdp delica and pretty much used it for everything, including using it as a kitchen knife, for quite some time. It kept an edge a long time, did seem to discolor a little and is now kind of hard to resharpen

I'd either get the diamond rods for the Sharpmaker (if you don't have one of those already, that would be pretty far up on my to get list). Or, if you use benchstones get a 2x6" coarse diamond hone, and take the edge back a bit. If you thin the edge out then touch ups are a breeze as you don't have to remove nearly as much material just to get to the edge.

I'll try the diamond stones for my sharpmaker. I have been looking at those. Thanks for the advice

Back