Zdp-189

Daniel Koster said:
Isn't Hitachi like this with all their steels?
from what i understand yes they are im calling my crucible rep to see what kinds of truble i can get into with there new stuff

ZDP-189 has been around for quite a long time. I read reports on this steel that were dated 1989. Hitachi makes this with PM production. Hitachi has very little capacity in their PM production and does not make much of this material. Most of their production is for high speed steels. It is a stainless as there is enough chromium in the matrix to make it so. The grade has between 25 and 30% chromium carbide volume. It is like 440C on steroids. Attainable hardness is upwards of 65 HRC and it is brittle compared to other grades but since it is PM it is still tough enough for cutlery.

I acquired a bar of ZDP-189/ATS-34 laminate. I am going to make a chef's knife out of it. I tracked down the english version of the tech data sheet from Hitachi USA. I have it saved on my servers and it is available for download. Please right click/save as instead of repeatedly opening it.

http://www.discipleofdesign.com/knives/ZDP189_eng.pdf

I know, I rock:) The blade is on the way to Paul Bos for HT. I am heading back to the box in a few weeks, so I may or may not get the knife finished.

Just got a reply from Japan

This material is very expensive.
Hello

Thank you for your email.

These are prices of ZDP189.We have solid and San-mai.Solid and San-mai are same price.

Please write which you want when you order.

4x35x250[font=MS ゴシック] [/font]US$50

4x35x300 US$60

3x25x250 US$27

3x25x300 US$33

Plus shipping (Insured express mail or uninsured air mail)

Best Regards

Takashi Fujii

Knife & Zippo Shop Shinkai

1-35-21,Asagaya-minami,

Suginami-ku,Tokyo.

166-0004,Japan

got the same email, Darrell.

I think those measurements are in "mm"....right?

The first one (4x35x250) works out to be 5/32" x 1 3/8" x 9 7/8".....Definitely expensive steel. But it's san-mai....so it demands a premium.

Works out to be about $5 an inch....still less than damascus, and much less than stainless damascus...

That doesn't seem too bad. Shipping and handling could wreck you, though! :D What did you guys figure out/decide about heat treating the stuff? Anyone stateside who can handle it? I could crank out two Tactical Orange peelers on that 4x35x250, although I'd have to charge a lot more for them.

Dogman says he's sending it to Paul Bos...so we'll see what happens...

I wonder how tough it would be with the lowest reccomended austenitizing temperature and a fairly high temper (600 degrees Fahrenheit). With an oil quench, you could easily get 64-65 Rc too. I think they're going the wrong direction with going the full 67 Rc. The lower austenitizing temperature would give you higher carbide volume, too, and the 20% chromium would make any decrease in corrosion resistance neglibible.

Here are the numbers converted to inches:

-Size---Width---Length----Weight---Price--Per Lb
=================================================
0.157"--1.370"---9.840"--0.626lb--$50.00--$79.81
0.157"--1.370"--11.810"--0.752lb--$60.00--$79.80
0.118"--0.984"---9.840"--0.338lb--$27.00--$79.84
0.118"--0.984"--11.810"--0.406lb--$33.00--$81.30

$80 per pound seems to be the base price.

Dogman, I've just read that pdf. What an absolute wealth of information!

It'll be interesting to see how this stuff performs with extended use. Maybe we'll start seeing more small production folders with smaller edge angles?

I just got the blade back from Paul Bos yesterday and finished the knife up last night. My wife will test it in the kitchen for the next year while I am gone. I lightly etched the blade to accentuate the core from the ATS-34 slabs. It also gave the blade a nice patina.

chef02.jpg

chef03.jpg

chef04.jpg

chef05.jpg

Hey Bob,, long time no see,,,
you have any of that Stag left? :)

nice Blade and Info TX..

either I got you mixed up with a Robert Doggett or you moved from
Brandon :confused: :) :D

is that some of what you got from me? ;)

Back