zdp189 lurve

Good gosh this steel can cut. On a whim I ordered a calypso 3 CF just to see what Spyderco's CF slabs are like but I soon stopped paying attention to the slabs and only focused on the steel. So the Sebenza stayed at home for well over a week while I was carrying that bad boy around. Then weekend before last I took the wife to a string-related thing in Columbus and stopped by a local knife store there and they had a calypso jr in the same steel. It left with me.

I think I've found a Delica 4 ZDP someone will part with, but maybe I should just slow down and admit I have a problem.

Attachments

• caly2.jpg
    caly2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 51
  • caly3.jpg
    caly3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 55
Yes, Spyderco's ZDP-189 is some good stuff to cut with. It gets really sharp, holds thin angles, and keeps it's very sharp edge a long time. It is hard not to like it IMO.

Mike

Yep, I'm lovin ZDP. I've been carrying my Caly3 CF while I've been waiting for my D2 Para to return to me, and I'm not sure how the Para is going to get back in my pocket now.

I feel with ZDP189 the grind and edge need to be done right to really appreciate the steel, and Spyderco really does it right. I had a couple ZDP blades from another company and was unimpressed by ZDP and did not understand what people loved about it. Then I got a Lum Chinese in ZDP and all my opinions changed. The Lum brings a new level to sharpness and really shows how great ZDP can be, like on the Caly or Caly Jr.

I feel with ZDP189 the grind and edge need to be done right to really appreciate the steel, and Spyderco really does it right. I had a couple ZDP blades from another company and was unimpressed by ZDP and did not understand what people loved about it. Then I got a Lum Chinese in ZDP and all my opinions changed. The Lum brings a new level to sharpness and really shows how great ZDP can be, like on the Caly or Caly Jr.

Indeed

ZDP-189 is awesome steel, and I love my Endura and Delica so equipped, but I'm willing to give CPM a chance to prove that they can match it.

Can't wait for Spyderco to make an Endura or Delica using S90V.

Of course, that would require them to be made in the U.S., wouldn't it?

Back