Zealot

Looks interesting. Blade of a ETAK-B with the handle of the CQC-13. The 2 finger choils looks a bit farther apart than I would like. Hard to say. Guess it's another to put on the want list.

Such a menacing blade. It is good looking as is but the wide choil makes the blade look too short. Would be perfect without it.

Fantastic looking knife! Boasting a 4" blade. The finger choils are very interesting and I'm sure are a great feature. I need some cash! Rolf, give me your red cowboy knife to sell. It's only fair.

I like it a lot, the handle looks especially ergonomic. I've been liking Emerson tantos more and more recently so this definitely has my attention.

I like this. Very elegant with the tanto grind. Is this one only available through Emerson or will it be at the usual dealers as well?

The Zealot is through Emerson Knives directly. This is a limited production item just like the El Bandito which hasn't been available for a long time. Get one while you can cause once they are sold out of this batch, there might not be another or not for a long time based on how quickly they sell. My guess would be the same for why the ETAK-A became discontinued, lack of sales inhouse so it never made it to dealers for a standard production knife. Limited models are rare when it's a unique design. My guess is that Emerson is testing the water to see how many would want a knife of this style (finger choil on the blade). If sale are slow for this model, don't be surprised if another doesn't come into existence thought I would like to see more of this type of knife like Hinderer or some Spydies to name a couple. Want one, buy one now!

That's a shame. Not saying it's not worth it, but I'm personally a buyer at the $150-200 price point. Awesome design though.

Choil like a Strider (users who don't like the Strider choil won't like this blade either).

~John

I would have to disagree John. I have owned the SMF, SNG and the AR. I had issues with my hands sliding forward on those knives where as it would be impossible on this Emerson with the deeper finger choils and the thumbramp. I ditched all my Striders without hesitation once I realized this HUGE flaw for my user ways. I am all for this design not to mention a tanto style that I like. I ordered 2 of them last night.

When I use a knife with a choil, I like how they allow you to choke up in a nice comfortable grip. (ie Spyderco) The Zealot looks like there would be an unwanted separation between the index and middle finger. However, looks can be deceiving. Let us know how her curves feel when they get in rayster.

I would have to disagree John. I have owned the SMF, SNG and the AR. I had issues with my hands sliding forward on those knives where as it would be impossible on this Emerson with the deeper finger choils and the thumbramp. .

I don't see a whole lot of difference myself, they are basically the same design (& I don't certainly don't consider it a "huge flaw" in either brands design.

I was just comparing the Emerson pic to my Strider DGG SMF and cannot see how one would be any better than the other.

I can't even imagine a hand sliding forward on the Strider (especially with the DGG grips)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hype the Striders. Although Emerson and Striders are my two favorite brands, I think the Striders are way overpriced for what you get (so are Emersons for that matter, but not to the extent the Striders are IMHO)

My ZT 0801 is a MUCH MUCH better deal than either Emerson or Strider & its Elmax blade is scary sharp after stropping with a leather strop, but both Emersons & Striders are "bad-ass" and I get a kick out of owning them. LOL

~John

Last edited:
I am another that cannot "come to grips" with the Strider handle design. I could see an ER visit from some of the routine Emerson tasks were I to attempt them with a Strider. Not bashing, just not for me.

I'm not trying to bash on Strider products in any way (I like the MK1 fixed blade in both the 12" and the Mod 10 model drop point). My hands are really tired at the end of the day and there are some knife oriented chores I still have to deal with before I can truly close up shop and go home. Weak hands and cone shaped grip with forward cut motion (similar to stabbing) equals bad news (couple occasions). I guess I have those moments to thank for loving hand/finger guards on my personal knives. Emersons fit the bill in a very big way (CQC-8 prime example) so I dove right in and haven't looked back.

I will certainly take some pictures of the Zealots when they are in hand. Really excited!!!

I like the choil.
I like the SnG in my hand. I like the commander better.
Trust your hand.

I really like the looks and shape of this knife. It looks like it will be really good for allot of EDC tasks. As for the strider I find that if you keep the back end in the lower part of your hand near your pinky there's no way it can slide forward. Now you are right about the hotspots, it will wear on you hand and cause hot spots long before any emerson will.

Back