Zebra Pot Steamer/Strainer insert

A guy on another forum came up with this idea, I ran with it, and so far love it!

First I started with a stainless grease screen from the dollar store.

DSCN3469.jpg

Cut out the screen and using my zebra insert pan formed it into the pot, and then trimmed off what I didn't need.

DSCN3470.jpg

Here it is with lid and insert inside as if I was going to pack it away, doesn't take up much space at all.

DSCN3473.jpg

Had to try it out, so I dug out some of last summers crawfish catch and gave it ago!

Alittle water in the bottom, using my trangia burner to heat it up and about 10 minutes later, ready to eat!

DSCN3474.jpg

DSCN3479.jpg

DSCN3480.jpg

After I used it I knew it needed a way to get it out so I added a bail

DSCN3481.jpg

Can't wait to try it out for some wild asparagus or nettles, or even some milkweed shots!

This would also work for many other billy can type pots out there.

I was just reading this on the other forum. Lordy I need to get to work. LOL:D

Pretty cool buddy. Could you not steam with the regular insert for the zebra? I agree that your screen would be better for that.

Pretty cool buddy. Could you not steam with the regular insert for the zebra? I agree that your screen would be better for that.

You could, but it wouldn't work as well and then all the condensation would pool in the insert and make your veggies mushy.

My thoughts are that this nest under the other insert, and weighs nothing and just gives me another option with my cook set.

Plus you can strain noodles, or even your drinking water to get the floaties out.

Back