Zen and the Art of Knife Grinding

My paragon will be here Wednesday. I have a decent batch of about 6 knives ready for HT....im hoping to only ruin 1 in my oven learning curve, haha!

Chant said:

Mike - glad to hear Nick and others also get nervous at the grinder (not glad for them, of course, just glad to know it's not just me!)

I've also never stepped up to the grinder with even the most simple blade that I didn't experience anxiety and doubt.

I just start grinding anyway and it goes away, sometimes. Most of us get it.

The thing is, don't think, "what if" I screw this up, but "so what if". Steel is cheap enough. If it gets messed up just make another.;)

I don't know why I get anxiety in the first place(except that I have an anxiety and panic disorder), as I've rarely messed one up, but I do and know I'm not the only one.

It's just a piece of steel. Try to keep that in perspective. You will lose far more time watching TV than you ever will redoing a knife that got messed up. Besides, it's good practice.:p

It would be great to be able to take two stereo plugs ... one for the right side of the brain and one for the left and plug them into your head so that you could learn what feel and intuition is. Virtual learning will come someday like it was in the matrix movie.
There are books that tell you and films that tell you people that tell you but more of this will do more than doing it.
The more you make the better you will do.

The best I can say is do the blade to 3/4 done.
The next day start with the finish.
This may help you to rejuvenate you focus and thought process.

Good luck

Back