zen and the art of russlock opening.

meako

Gold Member
Hi-just looking in the recent lockback thread and there was much consternation about russlocks and one handed opening.
My easy to follow instructions will soon have you flipping the russlock ambidextrously like a pro. Amaze your friends!Impress the girls!Don't let that beach bully kick sand in ...oooops wrong ad.:p
first look at the hands in the pics
20140520_163134_zps5c7b6064.jpg

20140520_163145_zps0a6e9be6.jpg

20140520_163149_zps898ab5e6.jpg

No tricks -its easy with the Charles Meaklas(completely false name)intensive russlock course.
Dynamic Leverage is the key.
Grip your russlock loosely in your fingers.Use the little finger to grip it firmly against the base of your fingers(near the lifeline)and gripping the lowest point of the bolster. Your thumb should engage the very tippy most point of the lever. In this position the blade should move outwards opening towards and flush with the heel of your palm. There should be no chance of cutting yourself at this stage .Keep going you're nearly there.As the blade opens grip the knife more securely.
You have past the point of no return and the blade should click open. This should all be done in one smooth action.
"I sprained my wrist and its been killing me for 2 days but I can still open my russlocks thanks to Charles Meaklas and "dynamic leverage"." Jon Meakin -satisfied russlock owner.

Hmmm well it LOOKS straightforward! :)

This is how I've always done it, the key is to not grip the handle too tight allowing it to roll slightly in your hand making it easier to transition through the swing of the lever till it's open.

Now there's a name for the method, :) :thumbup:

Oh, here's my pictorial of the same process I did once. Hopefully enough shots in the sequence to show my technique. Starting position is the key:

I think I kind of missed a step in there where you roll the knife in your hand once it is opened, from edge up to edge down. It's kind of a fluid motion. Hard to open the knife while taking pics with the other hand.

Best way I can describe the thumb motion is that rather than pressing back on the tip of the lever, you are sweeping across it from front to back and following the lever back and around. As though the lever were a spike of unruly hair and you were going to slick it down over the end of the knife.

Last edited:
^^John's description and pics of the 'grip' above match almost exactly how I open mine. In particular:

"(...) Best way I can describe the thumb motion is that rather than pressing back on the tip of the lever, you are sweeping across it from front to back and following the lever back and around. (...)

:thumbup:
The 2nd pic, showing position of the blade's tip in relation to the pad of the hand below the thumb, is perfectly illustrative. The blade sweeps parallel to, but safely distanced from the palm while opening, keeping the pad of the palm below the plane of the blade's sweep. I couldn't help but concentrate on doing just that, while opening the blade; if you don't, the pointy blade tip catches that fleshy pad. Doesn't take long to get accustomed to it, once ya figure it out. :)

David

Last edited:
I can do it, it just hurts like heck. RA can be a bear some days.....

Last edited:
Who woulda thought ya needed instructions to open a pocket knife? :) ;)

Good thread... :thumbup:

Also -interestingly the red bone CV russlock in my pics is a lot older and stiffer than the brand new crimson SS droppoint . big difference. BTW that huge chunk of missing fingernail was not in any way caused by a russlock .

Thanks for the pointers, I had never given this much thought and just thought opening them was rather clumsy. With a very small amount of practice I became proficient and can now add the russlock to my EDC.

Great pics John. I wish I would have picked one up a month ago. I liked the blue bone and my wife like the amber bone so I didn't get either of them. What a mistake! Next time.

Thanks for the pointers, I had never given this much thought and just thought opening them was rather clumsy. With a very small amount of practice I became proficient and can now add the russlock to my EDC.
images

a perfect testimonial.
Chalk up another one Charles Meaklas(not a real person) :D.

No physical strength required.the eagle has landed.pm sent mate.:)

How do you keep it from wearing a hole in your pocket?? Do you keep it in a pocket sheath?
Jim

How do you keep it from wearing a hole in your pocket?? Do you keep it in a pocket sheath?
Jim

The end of the extended tang is rounded and very smooth (tumbled & polished, as are most of Case's blades). I wouldn't worry much about it wearing a hole in the pocket. One's keys in the pocket would do more damage, or for that matter, the squared corners on the bolsters of most any other traditional knife.

David

Jim
When I carry any traditional knife, Russlock or other, it's either vertically in my back pocket beside my wallet, or if wearing jeans, it is by itself in the watch pocket of the jeans. The lever has never been an issue.

Back