Zero Tolerance Strikes Again!

This entire crazy reaction to violence on school grounds has everyone reeling. These laws sound so good echoing the halls of congress without the real thought on how they would be enforced and whether we will get what we want from those laws.

Almost every law I looked up in the most recent congressional period on weapons had to do with school grounds and possession.

Looking forward to some dialogue at blade show.

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.
AKTI Member #PR00003

Bizarre and unusual crimes sometimes get our attention more than the "normal" kind. Very few children are murdered in school. I heard one fast-flying-figure on the news last month that said that the total in the USA last year was something like 26, and that included the Columbine incident. A child is much more likely to die by blunt trauma at the hands of mommy's new boyfriend who's "nice when he's sober," but that sort of murder-most-foul is only local news, if that.

A couple or three racist gunmen last year caught enough of my attention that I now go to temple with a CS Vaquero Grande in my pocket, to cut the bread after services, and always sit on an aisle close to the doorway. It's a debatable precaution against a very remote danger, and every now and again I have to remind myself that I should be more vigilant at the ATM machine or the convenience store.

In this zero tolerance case, I think the district should suspend the suspension, but require the Eagle Scout to teach a class on safe tool usage to some of their middle school kids instead.

So it goes ....

HERE, posted on my web site, is the letter I wrote to various people at the school district.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 05-27-2000).]

Back