Zeroing In...How About You?

After 40 odd years of carrying and using knives, I'm finally genuinely starting to zero in on what really works for me. I've always been a function over form guy so I'm very much drawn to what does the job well and feels good doing it. Now, I do like me some pretty knives for sure, but this is more about the core users.

I've tried all kinds of things. From flippers to frame locks. Doctor's Knives to Delicas. Multi-Tools to nakiris. All the while enjoying all the new experiences and designs and features and just absorbing the differences.

I've never sold a knife. I've given a lot of them away but never sold one. I just mention that as when I consider a purchase, it really is with the intent of keeping the knife. So I scrutinize it and over the years, that scrutiny has been continually refined.

One day the light went on and I ditched the Victorinox Classic for the superior Rambler. :) This "knife" is with me every day. I don't think of it as a knife and am not sure I've ever used the blade. But it is a fantastic tool!
HA5fXue.jpg

Where I am at in my life these days, my EDC requirements are rather light. Cutting up an apple, breaking down a beer box, slicing open an envelope and so on. And it is very hard to beat the Spyderco Dragonfly2.
I2kFEWl.jpg

For heavier lifting, like breaking down two very large and very thick shipping boxes as I did last night or working in the yard and such, it is again a Spyderco. This time it's the Manix 2 Lightweight. I don't like the faux jimping in the handle and always sand it off. This is a brilliant knife. I know others prefer the PM2, but I put this knife design in the Buck 110 class of mastery.
xfY55PR.jpg

I don't really do fixed blades these days. I don't hunt or fish any more so just not a need. A Buck 102 was the first knife I bought myself about forty years ago and my daughter has it now. Served me quite well.

In the kitchen, well, the "western" or maybe more precisely the German blade shape seems to be what I prefer. I don't like thick bolsters/heels and actually love the Wusthof Gourmet budget line.

I've been working on flattening and thinning my 8" chef's knife and absolutely love it. Great ergonomics, slices like a dream, and although it isn't the hardest steel, it so easy to maintain.
YpuhZAk.jpg

I like to buy whole chickens and break them down. For years I used the Wusthof 6" chef's knife that was gifted to me as my daily knife but these days it is mostly my poultry and sorta boning knife. It just works and again, is easy to maintain. The pairing knife just goes right along with that. I have much more expensive knives, but I just come back to these.
C4UW4ym.jpg

And that's it. These are my core users. I'm by no means done. There's still frivolous knives, different steels, and still some experimenting, but for me, these are the base lines.

I encourage everyone to try out different things and push the limits and really be open to different styles and such so that you can find what really works for you.

What say you all?

Last edited:
i used to love modern scandi knives. Made and sold many all over the world at one time or another. But even though i loved them i never really used them. I used to, and still do, when i can afford it, buy knives just because i like the look of them, but i have a thing about collecting....it runs in my family. I collect cut gemstones, folklore books. Edwardian childrens books.....KNIVES. Even beer bottle caps.

But when it comes to knives i actually use all the time i am very boring really. My preference is for things like, Mora's, Victorinox. Good cheap machetes. I dont want to be scared about accidently damaging an expensive knife when im using it. I dont use a knife all the time, but when i do, its pretty hard and i cant be faffin' about trying to protect the thing from bits of fluff that might smear the fancy handle or a bit of dirt on the shiny damasteel.

So i think after many years i have figured out what i need, and its different to what i want. I need a good dependable, tough bunch of knives that are easy and simple to use. Easy to sharpen, and disposable when i am too hard on them. These knives, i dont care what they look like as long as they do the job.

i WANT nice stuff, always have and always will ( funds allowing )...….but i NEED butt ugly beaters that get the job done and laugh at me when i try to push them to far.

I have been lately .
It's mostly sub 3.5" traditional pocket knives and sub 5" blade traditional belt knives.
A pair like this is a real winning combination.
Now you see. Years ago i would not have looked twice at those two knives....but now they would be perfect for me. I love them. Much more so than some £600 Koji Hara....even though i love the two i have.

I bounced all around folders before I zeroed in on CRKs. They just work for me. Simple dependable high quality and perform well for my uses. I tried all the major manufacturers, well just spyderco Benchmade Zt buck and kershaw, before landing on CRK. Being a lefty is a plus as well. The dedicated lefty framelock is a huge bonus. They do everything I need. If I really had to get down to it the Insingo blade shape is all I need and meets my uses the best. I still don’t know if I’d take drop point or insingo if I had to choose one shape. It changes daily. Today I’d say insingo 08774862-C488-4725-AA27-5EC939B9D5BC.jpeg

I salute you, sir! The journey is the goal when it comes to knives, and if you try to find "the perfect knife", you end up with either a PM2 or a Sebenza. :p

I stopped trying to refine and define my tastes long ago, because I realized it was impossible. Now I look for interesting knives.

I've got close to 40 years of knife use as well. Knives have evolved and come a long way since back then. From my years of knife experience, I've come to realize that my tastes are always changing, so my rotation is constantly evolving. There are certain keepers that have been with me for many years though. I'm not zero'd in, too many nice knives out there to settle.

I should mention, that in all of this journey has also been the learning of sharpening. I very much believe that sharpening is a key element in determining your knife preferences.
I will agree that I didn't start to really LOVE knives until I learned how to sharpen em.

Push cutting catalog paper with a FAT ASS BUSSE is pretty sweet.

Now you see. Years ago i would not have looked twice at those two knives....but now they would be perfect for me. I love them. Much more so than some £600 Koji Hara....even though i love the two i have.

It's too bad nobody makes a classic bird and trout this small anymore as far as I know.
I think Rough Ryder offers something similar, but I don't think it's quite as small.
My particular knife is a queen #85 from the 20's.

I should mention, that in all of this journey has also been the learning of sharpening. I very much believe that sharpening is a key element in determining your knife preferences.

This statement is very true. The edge maintenance is priority number one for my knives. If it's not popping hairs off my arm, then it's back to the stones or the strops. I refuse to carry a dull knife.

I got my first "real" knife maybe 2 years ago. I think I'm zeroing in. I'm definitely zeroing out my wallet! :D

I do reach for certain knives more than others, but still have a hard time letting go of any.

The Manix 2 is a brilliant knife. Me, I've zeroed in to OTF'S, spydie holes, and flippers. Mostly prefer under 3 oz unless it's a heavier duty knife, like the Manix 2 or ZT 0095. I like deep carry clips, micarta, carbon fiber, and wood handles.

I don't like G-10, FRN, or Ti framelocks. I usually steer clear of CPM-S30V. Also am currently avoiding Chinese knives for the time being. I have three, and while they are excellent knives, I'm just not comfortable spending my money on them at the moment.

I also don't buy Benchmade, and haven't for about 5 years.

Back