Zilla v. BM, a question

on_the_edge

Gold Member
For those that have both, is the BM in whatever iteration you have it in a better all-around knife given the shape of the blade versus the Zilla? From what I've read, the Zilla can chop circles around any BM, but what else can it do better than a BM? It seems to me that its shape would not lend itself very well to batoning or other tasks a knife is commonly used for.

Hey Chris, I don't have a KZ...but I remember reading a review (by Peter?) of both, and the Mistress is waaay more versatile in the jobs it can tackle. However, you supposedly don't even need to baton with a Zilla! All it takes is one quick swipe and you have your firewood.

good question. most likely answer you will get is the BM with the straight edge will give more utility.

Those who are used to using a Khukri will likely answer differently.

I don't have a KZ (yet........Pre ordered a II.......).

I do have a FBMLE and a large Khukri machete.

For choking up, the BM is easier. The KZ does not have a choil at all, so you are limited to keeping all your piggies on the handle.

I will be interested to use the KZII for sure.

Brendan, For this it might be better to go back in history right up to present day. What I'm talking about are the Soldiers from NAPAL, ie Gurka. They have been carring this blade design for ever, and it is extremely useful. Although they incorporate small knives for general use along with the Kukri, the Kukri is the major use tool. They have used this blade over the years to behead there enemy and and scare the live daylight out of the select few they didn't kill. The survivors would go back and tell others therefore instilling fear thought the land. Plus when you burn the bodies it kinda makes a nasty smell, if you have ever smelt burning human, a little on the sweet side but stinks none the less.

Look up the history, for there have been many accounts of the Kukri. Oh and even the British started carring them in S.E. Asia during WW2. They quickly realized the value of having and using them in that enviroment.

Hope this helps a little and to some it up it's more or less a Western vs Eastern view in cutlery. West=big knife, East=big knife different shape. To tell the truth you can go future back to the days of the KOPIS (6th century BC) which in Spain mutated into the FALCATA.

Good call RussMo...:):thumbup:

I'll need to pickup a cg KZ and put her to the test :cool:

I had the NMFBM and have the KZ. Both the KZ and NMFBM were convexed by Nate (Norcalblacktail).

The NMFBM bites deep. The KZ throws chunks. Both chop very well.

The weight distribution of the KZ makes it feel like it wants to chop on it's own. The more traditional NMFBM feels much easier to control. As a result, I felt much more comfortable swinging the NMFBM full power. What is interesting is that when my dad (who was raised in the Philippines and grew up using big, blade heavy knives) used the KZ, he was much more effective. It seemed like he was letting the natural weight of the KZ do the chopping.

The NMFBM is much more straight forward while batoning. But the KZ can baton as well.

As far as other tasks, I really did not do much other than making fuzz sticks with the NMFBM. I did not try this with the KZ.

If you have to have just one, I'd say the NMFBM is the way to go. If paired with a small fixed-blade or even a stout folder, I'd say the KZ with it's extra chopping power would be a good useful pair.

But, I will be looking for a NMFMBLE as soon as I have the funds.

Most khukuries come with a karda and chakma to use during smaller tasks. karda = small knife, chakma = steeling tool.

I've owned these battle mistress models:
bme
terror monkey bme
fbmle
ffbm
nmfbm w/mag and w/standard slabs
(also a basic 9 and dogfather :p)

I own a kz and have owned a substantial variety of khukuries.
(this is a selection of that time period, I've owned like 4 differenty 18" ang khola's and 3 21" siru's)
DSC00548.jpg
[/IMG]

It's important to specify which battle mistress you want to compare. the basic 9, bme, fbmle and ffbm nmfbm are very, very, very different knives in hand.

The basic 9 is the lightest with a blade forward balance. The bme had a MASSIVE handle and was suprisingly nuetral, it didn't really feel like a "chopper" like the basic 9 does. The fbmle is almost true neutral, the blade dissapears in your hand - It doesn't feel like a chopper at all. The ffbm felt like a brick in the hand, a giant chunk of bar stock that smashed wood like a sledgehammer. The nmfbm is like a longer thinner chunk of barstock, feels really flat and wide in use, but has a lot of momentum near the end of the blade. Of these knives, to me, only the basic 9 and nmfbm felt like well balanced choppers.

The kz is pure chopper. You won't be using it for anything smaller, trust me. You can use for things like skinning rabbits but you really don't want to, it'll wear your wrist out within about 3 minutes - just from tying to hold it near the tip while the rest of it hangs out the back of your hand.

If I had to compare the basic 9 to the kz I'd say the basic 9 is a way better do-all knife. If I had to compare the ffbm with the kz I'd say they are both WAY to heavy to even contemplate using for smaller tasks. It's just not worth it. You can carry a skeleton key, rat tail or skeleton warden without adding any noticeable weight and it takes up a tiny amount of space, it will save you loads of hand and wrist strain.

If your honestly looking for a huge knife that you want to be able to carve with, the kz is not the knife for you. I'd say go with something smaller like a hogfsh, it has a ton of chopping power but is short enough that smaller tasks are more easily accomplished.

(this first one isn't my photo)
DSCN0682.jpg

zP1010702.jpg

zP1010738.jpg

Last edited:
of all of them, I have yet to try a standard fbm, bwm or b11 :grumpy::p

I was always curious what the fbm was like, if it had a more weight forward feeling than the fbmle and the ffbm. I'm curious about the bwm but I tend to like weight-forward designs and that pommel looks pretty handle heavy to me.

I've had the FBM, the BWM and the b11, the FBM feels more like the FBM LE IMO. The BWM is probably my least favorite, it was just somewhat underwhelming. It's too thin to be a serious chopper, but too short for most things i'd use a thin machete like blade. I think it just fell "In between", not excelling at anything.

If I had unlimited funds and could rebuy which ever ones I wanted, I'd have this set:

b9, ffbm, nmfbm and kz. I'd end up using the b9 for one-knife-does-all type stuff while the other three got relegated to wood splitting. I miss my nmfbm :(

Last edited:
I've used a khukri before and when comparing to a BM for me there is no comparison. It's almost like comparing an axe to a BM. Yes it will outchop most BM's but after that the BM's beat it in nearly every other task.

I own a CGFBM, FFBM and a NMFBM. In terms of all round best I would go with the CGFBM. It's almost effortless to use and light enough to carry on any trip. I can also control it well enough to do finer tasks. If I was a little bigger it's be the NMFBM.

actually, when I held the KZ2 at blade, I was very surprised how nimble it felt and you can choke up as per normal in the choil area as most all choiled Busse's for whittling style tasks which was very nice:thumbup:

LVC,
Thanks for that video. As a guys who loves knives, cooking, and fishing, I thought it was pretty cool. :cool: I don't know who that was, but he was cutting stuff up like a pro AND was handling the khuk like he was very familiar with it. Frankly, I didn't think the khuk could not get it done; I just think that there is a lot of stuff out there that can get it done much more easily. Still, the video does show that even the khukuri can be a versatile tool in the right hands.

There is a lot more thought than you might expect which has gone into the Khukri shape to make it an ideal "one knife" .... but within the Busse offerings of Khukri's there is less scope to go down the weights in model variations with the Khukri than the straight blade .... so in some respects you cannot do an "apples to apples" comparison .... but if you could .... the Khukri would be my preferred blade shape.

To give you an idea of why it is my preference here are some pic's ....

P1010209.jpg

The Khukri is best used with three different types of edge profile applied where you have a fine convex edge near the handle in the narrow section for fine work and a more robust angle on the chopping sweet spot and a semi fine edge near the point. The finest angle near the handle enables fuzz sticks or carving to be done if you have the right technique. The idea is to take the weight of the blade and rest it on your knee so that all of the weight is not required to be carried by your wrist.

P1010210.jpg

Looking at the pic above where I had to move the stick and knife from the ideal position so I could balance it to do the photo .... you bring the knife closer to you and the stick over to the right so it is hanging off the side of your leg and using the technique of pulling the stick back against the blade balanced weight wise on your knee and raised at the rear to use that part of the edge you actually get VERY fine control on cuts if the edge is sharp enough. The short depth to the blade here really helps with control .... this technique applies just as well to a NMFBM and the FBM range but because the khukri is less deep than these blades at this section then using your thumb on the spine and your trigger finger gripping the safe section by the lower ricasso eyelet you can do some very fine work.

P1010230.jpg

I call these things "turnip head pellets" and you can quickly and easily rattle these off going through a stick so you have some small chunk pellets ideal for putting under a pile of thinner sticks which will take a flame easily from tinder prepped and smouldering from a fire stick spark .... ideal for getting a fire going.

Where the khukri also scores is than in cold and wet climates it can easily get you into dry wood by chopping up sizeable logs to get to the inner dry tinder .....

P1010176.jpg

You use the KZ like a hatchet ..... place the edge of the blade on the log and bring both down together .... it goes through wood better than any of my Mistress blades .... by a reasonable margin on some as well .... the NMFBM is certainly the closest to it in performance .... but there is still a reasonable gap ....

That video shows how well you can do finer tasks with the proper technique and practice. Actually most special operators if given a choice will carry a Khukri or parang to do all of their tasks if they can only have one blade, especially in the jungle. The inside sharp area closest to the handle will do most finer tasks with practice, even fuzz sticks. The KZ is much more versatile than people think.

Back