Zinc Galvanising For Steel Knife Protection

There can be no doubt that galvanising is the superiour corrosion preventative.

Recently I saw a type of spray galvanising where the surface finish was very smooth. This suprised me to see it achieved against what Im using to seeing with dam rough galvanised gear.

Has anyone tried this type of galvanising on a knife?

I reckon it could be worth me trying it. Obviously it can be ground off but paint can also be ground off :)

Electroless nickel plating would be much better. Industrial hard chrome would be better than that. Nitriding would be even better!

Yeah, I was going to say - I thought that hard chrome was still king. But something that zinc does that nothing else does (that I'm aware of) is it actually helps protect metal near it from corrosion. Meaning the bare sharpened edge would receive some protection as well. Interesting idea. Got a link to this pretty galvanized stuff?

Yeah, I was going to say - I thought that hard chrome was still king. But something that zinc does that nothing else does (that I'm aware of) is it actually helps protect metal near it from corrosion. Meaning the bare sharpened edge would receive some protection as well. Interesting idea. Got a link to this pretty galvanized stuff?

This would explain why my the edge on my M2 knife is still shiny!

Back