Zip-Tie Mod?

Have any of you guys done the Zip Tie Mod on any of your Spyderco's? If have havnt seen this or heard of it check it out, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOiGkvdwlhs
The Zip-Ties act like an Emerson Wave opener so the knife opens as you draw it from your pocket. I think this idea is pretty cool. And if I'm correct the knife that he modifies in the video (The one he puts the Zip-Ties onto) is a Spyderco Tenacious. The knife I plan on getting. That or the Endura 4 with G10 handles.

I used it. It does work, but I tried it to see if I would like a waved knife. I learned that the wave is not for me.

This process has been around for quite awhile and is known as the "ghetto wave." I tried it, didn't care for it and got rid of it.

Yes, it works. I zip-waved my Endura but the real thing is way better.

If your life doesn't depend on it, it's OK. If you want safe and secure 100% opening every time, go for the real thing.

It's an inexpensive, easy to do, and totally reversible way to see if you still want to consider modifying the blade itself to create a wave opener. Beyond that, as already noted, it's ugly as sin and probably not as reliable as a conventional wave.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

a properly attached zip-tie works better than most have alluded too.

It's not a gimmick if you do it right. Unless you call a locked 3"+ blade in less than a second a gimmick :).

a properly attached zip-tie works better than most have alluded too.

It's not a gimmick if you do it right. Unless you call a locked 3"+ blade in less than a second a gimmick :).
Other than the cool factor, I'd prefer as close to 100% reliability - something you just can't get with a zip-tie mod under ALL possible situations where access is possible, if not necessarily unimpeded. FWIW, I think the Spyderco rendition of the Emerson opener (wave), especially in the P'kal, is about as good as I've had in a prod. knife though I've only handled and never owned any actual Emerson knives - just never liked the looks, though the ergos are superb. Most will wave very reliably.

How well it works depends on the Spyderco; how the blade/hole are designed and how smooth the blade opening is. If the blade opening is very stiff, then the ziptie will usually only open the knife halfway. In my experience, the ziptie method worked better than the factory wave on my Delica. I've never tried the P'kal version, although it looks like it would work very well.

With all the R&D that has gone into pocket knives and how to open them easily/quickly, I wouldn't call something that does the job very well a gimmick. How useful it is depends on the person and their needs.

I'll agree that it's pretty ugly, although color matching the ziptie to the handle helps quite a bit.

Even if the zip-tie only opens the blade an inch past the initial detent (30-50% open), it's still better than nothing.

An almost opened knife is a helluva lot better than a nowhere near opened one. Having something on you is MUCH better than nothing at all, etc.

Better yet, if your interested in the best way to defend yourself either:

1.) Avoid places you might die.
2.) Get a concealed weapons permit and carry a gun.
3.) Carry a zip-lock baggie and walk your half-blind angry pitbull.

Haha thanks for all the feedback. And if i'm right where I live if I get a concealed weapons permit, I can carry an Automatic. But since i'm not of age to get a consealed weapons permit, I will just have to cope with using assisted openers or waved knives for every day carry.

Back