Zomstro heat treat problem?

I have been using this Zomstro for every random cutting and chopping task in my yard for about a year. After I stripped it I noticed that it was two tone, with the blade being darker toward the base of the blade and making an abrupt change to a lighter tone not quite halfway down the blade.

I was taking apart a Bottlebrush tree that died, and I rolled the edge for over than an inch. It's not a hard wood and I wasn't hitting knots, so I was rather surprised. A bit of ball peen hammer and some carbide time got it straight-ish and sharp, just a wiggle is left. It's a user and beater, and I will continue to use since it's fun to swing and the wide, blunt tip comes in handy. But am I risking the blade snapping if I put it to hard use? I have no desire to dodge jagged bits. The picture shows the discoloration on the spine better than it does on the edge, but it travels perpendicular to the blade straight across. Any opinions?
KTSILn8.jpg

I don't remember mine being that dark after stripping. Maybe OKB can help with your question.
IMG_4348.JPG
Haven't had any rolling or edge issues eather.
IMG_4350.JPG

Last edited:
Back