Zowada Centofante, or J.D. Smith collaborations?

I've been contemplating picking up one of these folders as a dressier edc, and was wondering if anyone had experience using them, and if so, what did you think of them? Oh, and the Centofante version I'm asking about has G-10 handles and built in safety.
Chris

Hi Chris
I've got a JD Smith. Don't use it a lot - it's more of a dressy carry. It's typical Spyderco quality and, I think, a pretty classy piece. I like the micarta handles which give me a very comfortable grip and of course it's in VG-10 which is a plus. Only minor gripe is that it's not the easiest knife to open one handed - the lack of a hump puts the hole a little close to the handle for me. Still, I like it and I plan to hang on to it. Hope this helps.
Phil

Have a JD Smith and I like it very much. It's about the same size and shape as a Buck 110, with an equally thick blade, but much thinner handles. It feels very sturdy, but is half the weight of a 110, so it does not feel like a boat anchor in your pocket. Best of all it opens with typical Spyderco ease and smoothness and locks up like a bank vault. My only minor complaint is that it has no provision for a LH clip, but as the other two on your list are pretty much RH use only, this probably is not an issue for you.

Edited to add: You might also want to consider the C34 Jess Horn, another really sweet, dressy looking, micarta handled lock-back, and closer to the size of the Zowada and Centrofante than the Smith.

I received a Zowada in a trade and sent it on it's way. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice knife. But the opening hole is real small, about the size of the one on the Wenger Jr. if my memory serves me well. It just had to be that way to keep the sleek lines.

I don't have any personal experience with the other two, but I can also suggest the Calypso and Calypso Jr. in Micarta as "dressy" knives. They're scarce these days, but available. Another one to consider if you don't mind the "funkiness" is the C40 Jot Khalsa. Weird but very nice looking indeed.

I'd go for the C25 or C50 Centofante. IMO those are dressy pieces.
The JD Smith is great but looks more like a working folder.
The Zowada's dagger is not sheeple friendly. And the hole really is small.

extremefishin00, I think you should consider the Viele. Dressy, sneaky tactical, and imo, well-built. Note: Keep in mind that I also have a J.D. Smith (one of my earlier favorite EDC) and a Zowada. I've extensively handled a Centofante but was not excited enough to buy one--but that's just me.

I have a C50 Centofante(Gold Emblem :) ), very classy, very sleek, but with the reduced opening hole, can be slow to open. I recommend it for a "dressy" edc. The C25 is more sheeple friendly.
The J.D. Smith is on my "list" of knives to buy some day. :)

Blades

I've got a Zowada model. Yeah the hole is small but then again, i'm asian so i have small fingers to open it. The built of the knife is incredible; the fit and finish is great, the smooth polished micarta scales and satin polished full spine makes it a great edc gent's knife. The spear point is intimidating to sheeples but so far, the girls are impressed with it....:p

Eric.

I have a serrated Centofante. It is a good knife, but I rarely carry it as I don't really like serrated edges anymore. The opening hole is small, but I can still open it easily. I wish that I had a plain edge version though.

I would actually go for a micarta Goddard (medium or baby) or a Centofante. I also like the feel of micarta in a dress knife...actually I just like Micarta!
Matt

Back